Thread: Talichulitna River in June

Default Talichulitna River in June

Will be floating the Tal during the third week of June. Am from the L48. Need some advice/tips on best flies to use at this time for TROUT. I think I have the streamers figured out, but will nymphs and dry flies work well at this time and if so, what would you recommend?

Any input appreciated!!

Thanks Much!

Quote Originally Posted by twitmer898 View Post
    Will be floating the Tal during the third week of June. Am from the L48. Need some advice/tips on best flies to use at this time for TROUT. I think I have the streamers figured out, but will nymphs and dry flies work well at this time and if so, what would you recommend?

Any input appreciated!!

Thanks Much!
    I've not fished this stream in particular, but I can speak for other rivers/streams in the area and state and would venture to guess similar foods being around in this system as there is in others. Hopefully you get further input from guys/gals who have floated/fished this river during the timing of your trip. If I were to do this trip, I'd bring copious amounts of the following:
    Streamers - big leaches up to 6" - black, dark olive, brown. dolly llamas - black/white, dark olive/white, brown/white. sculpzillas - black or dark olive
    Juvenile lamprey are likely to be on the move to the ocean and the are trout candy.
    Flesh - white/cream flesh flies small and big articulated should always be in the arsenal in AK. I've caught trout even with fresh colored flesh this time of year when nothing else seemed to work.
    Beads - 10mm and 8mm fresh and dead - Kings could be dropping by late June, again I'm not familiar with the particulars of this River and dead eggs are almost always emerging and floating downstream. Trout eat them if they see them.
    fry/smolt - trout destroy them at times. It may be a little late, but there are always fry in the rivers. Try them higher in the water column or in slow deep eddies.
    Nymphs - prince can be killer. big black stoneys with rubber legs can also be a great option.
    drys - mice, elk hair caddis, blue dunns. Mousing for trout is about as fun as it gets.
    Ringer flys - Sometimes everything works and other times nothing. Bring some san juan worms in red and pink just for fun and you may be surprised at the results.
    Good luck and report back after the trip!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Great advice!! Thanks for taking the time to put all that down for me.Will let you know what works best for me on that trip.

Are you starting at Judd Lake or Midway?
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Starting at Judd Lake. Taking out I think at the connection of the Susitna. (Not exactly sure??)

I have floated/guided it numerous times. Main thing is to pay attention to water flows. Even on good water levels years, their is still lots of dragging potential down from Judd Lk to the forks. Make sure you are packed light with a small raft or you will hate going down the cr. If low water start at Millers (has a dirt strip), but can still drag once you are down within a mile or two of the mouth. Friday Cr. is a must 2 day lay over, hike up stream to site fish for Kings. Sportsman air service is a good flying service, he flys for the lodge at Judd Lk and knows good/bad water levels. Beads, streamers, jigs work great.

Forgot to mention, take out is several miles down stream of confluence. Also be sure and have smaller flies tied on strong hooks for Kings. On low water years or on Friday cr, Kings will be put off by large bright colored flies, small dark are much better.

The flies Dannerak mentioned would all work great. If I could only bring five flies with me on that river for that time of year and I was fishing for rainbows I would bring dolly lamas, purple egg sucking leeches, flesh flies, large beads to mimic king eggs, and (hmmm, my fifth would be a toss up between wooly buggers, sculpzillas, or nymphs). For kings I would bring dolly lamas, weighted and articulated hardball leeches in various colors like purple, pink, chartreuse, and black. For grayling never leave home without nymphs for grayling. Best patterns are gold-ribbed hares ears and prince nymphs. Also bring some dry flies like griffith's gnats, mosquitos, and parachute patterns.