Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Only Cotten gets advanced

Default Only Cotten gets advanced

http://www.adn.com/article/20150114/...otten-advances

I am surprised Roland Maw didn't get advanced, his resume looked solid.

Was there anything streaming online in the interview process? I wasn't able to check.

The interview is over and joint boards are fwding Sam's name to the Governor. Not a surprise at all. But I was disappointed that BOF voted unanimously against interviewing Roland and considering him. That vote was a tie the way I heard it, 0-7 BOF members voting in favor, and 7-0 BOG members voting in favor. Apparently BOF does not like Roland.

Anywho, best wishes to Sam Cotten as our new F&G Commish, look fwd to working with him down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    The interview is over and joint boards are fwding Sam's name to the Governor. Not a surprise at all. But I was disappointed that BOF voted unanimously against interviewing Roland and considering him. That vote was a tie the way I heard it, 0-7 BOF members voting in favor, and 7-0 BOG members voting in favor. Apparently BOF does not like Roland.

Anywho, best wishes to Sam Cotten as our new F&G Commish, look fwd to working with him down the line.
    Interesting, I hadn't heard about the vote, I wonder what the BOF has against him, I could see the more "pro-sportfishermen" members of the BOF going against him, but not the commercial fishermen on the BOF. 0-7 is very surprising.

Maybe the bof already has cotten in their back pocket?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Trying to understand the process here.......

So the BoG interviewed all the candidates; and the BoF interviewed all the candidates. Separately. And each Board voted separately as to whether any of the candidates should be interviewed by the joint board (BoG + BoF). In that vote, only Sam got the necessary support collectively from each Board to advance to the next stage. And once Sam reaches that stage, the only decision is whether the joint board believes his name should be forwarded to the Gov for approval. So, given the outcome, only one person has the support of both BoG and BoF.

Since that's the case, congrats to Sam.....

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    and maybe the BOG had Maw in their back pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    and maybe the BOG had Maw in their back pocket?
    Yes, very possible. It is politics

Yes, very possible. It is politics
    and that is probably a good reason why we are where we are in all of this, politics first, resource second.........

I do wish Sam the best and hope he does what is right by the resource, which I think he will as at this point in his career he probably isn't looking to suck up to anybody for his next political move.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    and that is probably a good reason why we are where we are in all of this, politics first, resource second.........

I do wish Sam the best and hope he does what is right by the resource, which I think he will as at this point in his career he probably isn't looking to suck up to anybody for his next political move.
    True statement. Political management of fish and game is only good for select few. Politics is also the engine behind the setnet ban proposition, cause it surely isn't all about the resource.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...db4a8a810.html

"The Board of Game voted unanimously to also extend an interview to Roland Maw, a Kenai Peninsula-based fisherman and director of a fisheries association. But his application died after the seven-member board of fisheries voted unanimously to not interview him."

The Joint Board failed the public and the BOF acted unethically in the process. The Joint Board is to send a list of qualified candidates according to law - not one candidate. Just sending one usurps the Governor ability to select a qualified individual. Instead, the Joint Board has made the selection. Bad precedent for future Governors. Next, how can 7 BOG members think Dr. Maw deserves an interview and 7 BOF do not.? That makes little sense given his resume. This reeks of collusion on the part of the Board of Fish members. They just voted no with no discussion of their rationale which is anything but transparent. If they had interviewed the candidates and had criteria for what constitutes a qualified candidate it would have been clean. Oh yea, they have those criteria and as the BOG chairman said Dr. Maw and Sam were qualified. So here we are again with a BOF acting as rogue entity without any regard for a fair and open process. Everyone should be concerned about this from a process viewpoint. Also, it begs the question if the selection of the Commissioner by the BOF had vote trading going on to get Roland off the list. Fair question given the past history of vote trading with this Board.

I hope the BOF is closely questioned on this by the Walker Administration and held accountable. We have seen in UCI too often the Board of Fish under the present and past leadership stray from the straight and narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    The Joint Board failed the public and the BOF acted unethically in the process. The Joint Board is to send a list of qualified candidates according to law - not one candidate. Just sending one usurps the Governor ability to select a qualified individual. Instead, the Joint Board has made the selection. Bad precedent for future Governors. Next, how can 7 BOG members think Dr. Maw deserves an interview and 7 BOF do not.? That makes little sense given his resume. This reeks of collusion on the part of the Board of Fish members. They just voted no with no discussion of their rationale which is anything but transparent. If they had interviewed the candidates and had criteria for what constitutes a qualified candidate it would have been clean. Oh yea, they have those criteria and as the BOG chairman said Dr. Maw and Sam were qualified. So here we are again with a BOF acting as rogue entity without any regard for a fair and open process. Everyone should be concerned about this from a process viewpoint. Also, it begs the question if the selection of the Commissioner by the BOF had vote trading going on to get Roland off the list. Fair question given the past history of vote trading with this Board.

I hope the BOF is closely questioned on this by the Walker Administration and held accountable. We have seen in UCI too often the Board of Fish under the present and past leadership stray from the straight and narrow.
    I completely agree, Nerka. I was quite surprised that all 7 BOF members voted against even interviewing Roland. Heck...on paper, he's just as qualified as Sam in some areas, and even more so in the education department. If there were concerns that his selection could be polarizing, couldn't they at least give him the opportunity to address that in an interview and then decide how to proceed? I still support Sam, but that was ridiculous. Sheesh.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I think nerka brings up good points. I don't know Dr. Maw and have no idea what kind of commissioner he would be, but he has probably one of the best commissioner resumes of any previous that have applied and for board of fish to not even give him an interview is just wrong. It leads one to believe that if Dr. Maw was associated with any other group besides a cook inlet commercial group he would not have got the same treatment. The governor might have stuck with Mr. Cotten but anyone with a resume like Maw's deserved a honest evaluation and not one based on what is likely solely association with cook inlet commercial fishing.

An article in ADN mentions the "contentious history with the state fish board and with state regulators" that Maw has had. Also, the article points out the lawsuit that the Maw lead UCIDA is involved with the state.

Like Yukon, I'm puzzled that the 3 BoF members with commercial backgrounds voted against Maw.

Or maybe KRSA has BOF in their back pocket. If Roland had the chance to be head of ADF&G the Penny loafers would have jumped off a bridge!

Gotta jump in. You guys give too much credit to KRSA or the board for anything and everything. How could the board of fish vote 7-0 when at least three of them are from a commercial background? Something is not right, somewhere.
    I think Maw should have been considered but what do I know... and I disagree with him 98% of the time. It might be politics but even Jensen should have stood up but what the hay. Life goes on and so do the fish wars. Carry on
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Or maybe KRSA has BOF in their back pocket. If Roland had the chance to be head of ADF&G the Penny loafers would have jumped off a bridge!
    That's what I'm saying, this whole thing stinks of corruption.

Give it a break. If corruption exists, it's in the minds of naysayers and black heliocopters. Which camp do you guys stand in? Take a stand cause I have a talk at the table of many orgs... none of which have that much say anywhere, period. Keep believing it thouth, as Steve perry would say. Keep on believing................
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Yep, you are right, no corruption in government or politics, all as pure as the snow is white.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast