Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22' Hewescraft Questions

Default 22' Hewescraft Questions

Looking at a 2007ish Hewescraft 22 Searunner HT/ET with EZ Loader. Very conflicted as to the weight. Every website I read is different. Seems like boat, motor and trailer is around 4400# total. Anyone know for sure?

Will be towing with an F-150 which has a capacity of 6200# so just want to make sure.

Also, what kind of breaking-system did EZ-Loader use back then? Trailer doesn't have a surge break and definitely does not have disk breaks based on the pictures I've seen.

Wont be towing more than a few miles in either direction to the ramp. Thanks!

I tow a similar boat (22 foot Raider wtih 225 OB) on an easy loader trailer. I pull it with a 94 Chevy half ton (short box, short cab) and have no problems at all in the Juneau area (also a ten to 20 minute drive usually)

My trailer brakes made it a year before they started to lock up and heat the hubs. I have since pulled them off and have suffered absolutely no ill effects. They really aren't that necessary, and will be a serious pain in the butt if you do lots of salt soakings like I do. I wash down after each use, but those brake drums take it hard. EZ loader rep asked me where I live when I said I had brake issues.....I said Juneau.....he said well, we don't really recommend brakes in coastal environments for just that reason........ugh. Was easy enough to pull them, but a wasted day on my back in the driveway. It is a when,......not an IF.....when it comes to trailers brakes getting rusted up in a saltwater application.

I tow a 2006 22' Ocean Pro HT/ET with a 2013 Chevy half ton and it does just fine from Anchorage to Whittier, Seward, and Homer. I don't have trailer brakes either, I just leave a longer distance between the vehicle in front of me.

If the boat has not been bottom painted, and the trailer has carpet on the bunks you had better lift it and look at the bottom!!!!! I do bottom paint jobs in my shop and the two boats that have the most trouble are Kingfishers and Hewescraft. If you have any questions call me at 907-299-3779. Good luck

Why would you need to do bottom paint on an aluminum hull?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Bottom is not painted and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Why would you need to do bottom paint on an aluminum hull?
    Anti fouling paint. It keeps helps keep growth off of your hull, and can also help against corrosion. If you leave your skiff in a slip in the water for long periods of time; expect to do a lot of pressure washing/scraping. If you trailer your boat or only use it in fresh water, it's not really an issue.

I will PM you with my number call me.

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    Looking at a 2007ish Hewescraft 22 Searunner HT/ET with EZ Loader. Very conflicted as to the weight. Every website I read is different. Seems like boat, motor and trailer is around 4400# total. Anyone know for sure?

Will be towing with an F-150 which has a capacity of 6200# so just want to make sure.

Also, what kind of breaking-system did EZ-Loader use back then? Trailer doesn't have a surge break and definitely does not have disk breaks based on the pictures I've seen.

Wont be towing more than a few miles in either direction to the ramp. Thanks!
    F150 shouldn't be a problem & 4400# sounds pretty close unless you have a 225 HP OB hanging on the back. I have a 2004 SeaRunner HT/ET with a 150HP & have towed it with a 1991 3/4T 350cid chevy, 2004 1/2T 5.1cid chevy & now a 2012 1/2T 6.7cid chevy & they all tow it fine. I did get rid of the undersized dual axle trailer with no brakes & upgraded to a higher capacity dual axle trailer with brakes. The higher cap trailer along with the trailering pkg on the new chevy made a big difference in towing between Anchorage and/or Whittier & Seward. If you're not towing to far or any really steep grades, your F150 should be good.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

What I was talking about is when you put your nice aluminum boat in salt water and go fishing all is good. When you take your bout out of the water then swing by the car wash, and clean your boat all is good. When you have carpet on your bunks salt water is trapped next to your hull, and thing go wrong in a big way. I have seen Kingfishers and Hewescrafts with corrosion holes where they sit on the bunks. I have had to replace bottoms in aluminum boats. It only takes money ! All I was getting at was check before you buy it, then think about how you want to take care of it. The only way to do a good bottom paint job on an aluminum boat is to sand blast the two heavy coats of primer ( I use 235 ) then Bottom paint for aluminum boats ( I use E- Paint SN 1 ) If any one has any questions PM me.

I haul my 2007 22' Searunner HT with my 04 F150 with no problems.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Maybe just me, but brakes on a trailer with this much weight (not that it is a whole bunch) is a mandatory safety item. Put a washdown system on it if you are worried about corrosion and maintenance.
    Last edited by Bullelkklr; 01-14-2015 at 10:24. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Maybe just me, but brakes on a trailer with this much weight (not that it is a whole bunch) is a mandatory safety item. Put a washdown system on it if you are worried about corrosion and maintenance.
    Mandatory legally? or physically? I can't speak to the legality but physically any half ton with proper brakes can handle this boat if you drive it like any other vehicle towing a large load.

After my experience of being very good about washing down after each launch, and having the brakes last two years, AND, heating my hubs up to the point that I was concerned that any longer trip would lead to a meltdown......I would put that risk of issue higher than not leaving enough space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.

My use may be different than the ANC and FBK crowd in that I can fish any evening I want for 8 months a year and can fish every month of the year to some extent. I put about 100ish hours on my boat per year, but that likely includes about 30 or more launches. No matter how well you wash up after, corrosion is going to occur and if your lucky they will corrode open, if they corrode shut (as half of mine did) you have a potentially dangerous situation before long. As said, EZ loader was quite frank that the stock brakes on their dual axle trailers were not made to handle lots of saltwater use. A quick search for boat trailer brake problems will reveal a slew of forums talking about this vexing issue, you can get upgraded brakes but they are rather spendy and will also fail over time.

My experience towing a boat of this size without trailer brakes has left me not even noticing they are gone. The only place I used to notice the difference was on a very steep decline coming out of my old place up high on Douglas. I appreciated the brakes then and noticed the push without them, but it was an extreme hill and there were other routes that were safer so I went four blocks down. On flat ground and normal hills (and even the prolific 55 mph zone stop lights in Juneau, I have not noticed anything required other than heads up driving, not tailgating, and planning ahead as I would with any heavy item behind me.

As said if this is a legal issue, it's news to me, if your physically concerned, don't be. ONe thing that does help my old truck that I use is the former owner put spring stiffeners on the rear leaves (he pulled a horse trailer).....this keeps my truck from looking like it's gonna do a wheelie with the likely high tongue weight that this set up will be giving you.

Note that I am talking about a 22ft aluminum towed with a half ton, and that is all I can speak to. If one starts talking a different rig like a pacifc explorer or a 26ft plus rig......you will have to do your own research but I am confident of the statements above.

I won't own a saltwater trailer with DRUM brakes, disks would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting this is the first I've heard of any problems between aluminum boat and the trailer carpeting causing corrosion. The indoor/outdoor carpeting use on trailers does not hold water. If there is a problem I would think using a plastic type material like UHMW would be a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I won't own a saltwater trailer with DRUM brakes, disks would be nice.

My issue was with disks, and I spent lots of time stooped and hosing both sides of the wheel assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Interesting this is the first I've heard of any problems between aluminum boat and the trailer carpeting causing corrosion. The indoor/outdoor carpeting use on trailers does not hold water. If there is a problem I would think using a plastic type material like UHMW would be a better solution.
    I know that I hose the heck out of that area when I washdown, got no data on the topic but I didn't like the idea of anything trapped between that bunk and the aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    My issue was with disks, and I spent lots of time stooped and hosing both sides of the wheel assemblies.
    Interesting, **** boats! My solution was to buy a diesel 3/4 ton and do away with trailer brakes but I suspect the OP is not interested in that!

I believe trailer brakes are required in AK when the gross trailer weight exceeds 5K. As far as just staying far enough away from the guy in front of you to be safe I guess that would work if he is the only other one on the road. Unfortunately, moose, stray dogs, drunks coming the other way, some guy cutting you off in an attempt to pass etc etc makes brakes on the trailer a must for me. Now when we lived in Dutch and I trailered the boat less than 3 miles to the ramp and never exceeded 25 mph-No I didn't need trailer brakes-although I had them. However when you are driving in any type of traffic and you are going in excess of say 45 mph I would recommend trailer brakes for most boats. Of course if you are hauling a 16' Jon Boat with a 2500 Dodge Turbo Diesel then all bets are off.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I meant mandatory me, myself, I. YMMV. Even with driving careful I have had a time or two where I really had to put the pressure on the brakes and was very grateful that I had surge breaks to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast