Thread: My Remote Cabin

Default My Remote Cabin

Pretty happy with the choice. Not a bad view either. Been reading alot here on the forum for the last year and have received some great tips. Close on it tomorrow, then fly south to drive back 5,000 miles with my junk. Gotta buy a snowmachine in the next two weeks also. Tundra or Voyager? (I'm watching that thread) Saw both at the dealers and it's looking like a Tundra LT with the 600 ACE. I'll also need a second sled and might get the Tundra Extreme too. Haven't made my mind up on that yet. This forum has helped me answer many questions, for that Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Congratulation looks like you made a great choice. Hope you have a lot of inner drive or you will spend all of your time in front of the picture window dreaming. What is the general location of the cabin? How far are you off of the road system? Best of luck and have a safe and simple trip back up.

It's about 13 miles off the road system. 35 degrees heading off the end of Talkeetna runway. Snowmachine, Helicopter, Plane and if you have a strong set of legs that is an option too. My legs are still pretty stout from 9 years in the Infantry. 11 years as a merchant mariner. I'm not the brightest but I can lift heavy things so my employer appreciates the effort and pays me well. Lol. I'll do just fine. Very well equipped and the place has solar, wind and generator. Oil drip in the cabin and wood stove in the sauna/shower. Nice workshop with lots of tools, and an ATV shed for the 4 wheeler.Great cell phone reception. Most of my time is spent at sea so this is my home for a small portion of the year. Snowmachines will park under the wrap around deck. The cabin is bolted to the rock it sits on. My biggest problem will be the bears and porcupines chewing on things. I'll take that over the bears, alligators, snakes and panthers in the everglades. Won't miss snakes at all. They don't have snakes here do they???

There is the one. The Upbutus Kraulis. Snow snake.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Remove seats from wheelers and snowmachines and store them inside the cabin. Bears love to chew on them.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Sure is a beautiful spot to rest the legs. Sure wish we could find something like that. Congrats.... Can you post up some pics of the cabin itself too?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Remove seats from wheelers and snowmachines and store them inside the cabin. Bears love to chew on them.

The prior owner learned that lesson the hard way, and warned me. The drip stove oil barrel has been chewed on too since it is made of plastic. Switching that to steel. I'll post more pictures later. This Upbutus Kraulis snow snake sounds vicious, it can"t climb an outhouse pit?

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Very nice spot! Can you 4-wheeler there? Great being up high.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMariner View Post
    This Upbutus Kraulis snow snake sounds vicious, it can"t climb an outhouse pit?
    They are a viper, a pit viper. They seek out warm pits to live and gather. The natural composting of an outhouse pit is very warm and cozy. It is when they are disturbed by a sudden load dropping that they become vicious and seek a new lair. Then thru the darkness above they spot that which they seek.

You have been warned.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Pit Viper huh? Should have seen that one coming. Lol.

Alaska resident. But working where ever the work is. Vegas til spring

HOw did you come about finding such a place? Did you use a realtor? One more question, do you know of any other places like this or just land available? If need be, send me a message with any information. I will appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    Very nice spot! Can you 4-wheeler there? Great being up high.

No 4 wheeler access. The cabin came with a ATV (and shed for it) but just to run around the property and to the lake for supplies. Snow-machine in the winter (difficult) and air.

Yes I used I realtor to find it. I'll helicopter in for the most part.

Very nice and you are a very fortunate man!

Congrats Mountainmariner! Place looks awesome! The view Is worth your drive back! Just curious who you used for realestate service and did you look elsewhere in the state and if so what made you choose Talkeetna?

Wow, what a nice cabin and an even better view! I madethe move up to Alaska from the Louisiana bayou some 5 years ago and I couldn't agree withyou more. The critters and things that bite were so much worse down there thanup here. Congratulations on your nicescore. I have something similar up theGlenn Highway, and getting there each weekend is the only thing that keeps mesane in this insane world!
    One free bit of advice, whatever you think your firewoodrequirements are, double it!

I used McKinney View Real Estate. Choose Talkeetna because this cabin was there, and the view. I also looked at Haines, a cabin on Chilkat lake. Made the 5400 miles drive in 6 days, by myself safely. Bought the 2015 Ski-Doo Tundra LT 600 ACE. First day on a snowmachine ever, made it to within 2 miles of the cabin but had to turn back due to time constraints. I also found every muscle that has not been exercised properly for the last 47 years. Had fun though. I'll make it in the next time. First thing is to helicopter or plane my junk in, then I'll play with the snowmachine and sled to get a few other non-critical items in. Have not had a days rest in a long time now so I look forward to the first morning there and a hot cup of coffee.

Very nice. Hope you get the snowmachine route figured out. It's a lot cheaper than a helicopter.

Awesome place and view. You are a lucky man1

Congrats on the cabin. You can learn a lot from others who have BTDT with their remote places. I built over 20 remote cabins here on the Kenai Peninsula back in the 80's. Found some good ways to get materials into the sites. The last one I did was not many years ago. Still under construction actually. I bought a 20' connex, filled it with building materials. Rented an 850 dozer and drug the connex behind the dozer 5 miles to the building site. In winter of course. Now I use the connex for storage. Bears can't get in it, and it keeps the thieves out too, so far.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.