Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I WONDER......Grubs Cubs Sows Dens Death & NO snow cover....???

Default I WONDER......Grubs Cubs Sows Dens Death & NO snow cover....???

So the new birthed cubs which look like "GRUBS" are being born Mid-January in dens with the door wide open, NO snow cover, Mosquitoes out, Temps. in the 40's, light rain.

If the Temperatures drop a LOT.......will some or most or all of this years cubs suffer a LOW survival rate in the dens......???

Not interested in groundless speculation........But if you know or know someone who knows, or have read a reliable source.
    I would be very interested in being educated on this subject.

There may not be alot of data on this. But given the size of mom and her body heat I'm thinking they would be fine. She'd keep them tucked in pretty tight.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Im shooting from the hip here but I would imagine how she prepared her self for the winter would have a impact on the survival of her cubs. She's going to burn more calories keeping her self warm. Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Not interested in groundless speculation........But if you know or know someone who knows, or have read a reliable source.
    I would be very interested in being educated on this subject.
    "Groundless speculation"? Not here

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    She's going to burn more calories keeping her self warm. Don't know
    In warmer weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Rain, cooler weather and surely its not going to stay 40 for the rest of the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    In warmer weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of all the range bears live and do well its probably not much of a problem. Believe it will be another month before most cubs are born.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Been saying that for 3 1/2 months NOW. It was 44 degrees today here.

Normally there would be 3 to 15 feet of snow insulating the den, the mountains are largely bare.......So if we get no snow before it dropped to -20* those cubs are only eight to 14 ounces at birth, blind, and hairless.

I just wonder how or if it effects mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Rain, cooler weather and surely its not going to stay 40 for the rest of the winter.

Momma will get it figured out.
    Master guide 212

The Islands in Southeast Alaska has properly worst weather conditions for bear denning, it can be rain, snow, warm, cold all in one week down there, doesnít seem to effect the bears/cubs at all. Iíve seen dens from 40í-2000í elevation in hollow logs, hollow standing trees, under stumps, under roots, in small caves, and dung into a dirt hill side! Thatís my first hand groundless speculation!

Those bears and cubs will be just fine!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I have been pondering the same thing for a couple months now. I had a conversation with Neil Barton back when I lived in Juneau one year. He said they always saw a LOT of black bears in the Chilkats when they did fly over goat surveys but the one year they saw almost none and he was wandering if it was due to many not making it through when they lost their denning snow/insulation followed by extreme cold.

Groundless speculation alert! (but based on a similar situation)

What Steve H. said is very similar to what blacktail deer get wacked by. The snows that occur in Dec. through Feb. mean little compared to either A: the persistence of monster snows into the spring or B: monster snows in the spring. The idea is that they are fat and sassy during midwinter if they got their grub on but are getting lean by spring and NEED that new growth now covered in snow.

THese bears are likely A OK right now, but if they get woken up, burn a bunch of reserves, then face abnormally harsh conditions in spring, then I would expect an issue.

Could solve all those pesky predator control issues!

I don't expect any issue for the bears with hair.......my wondering is strictly about 2015 birthed cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I don't expect any issue for the bears with hair.......my wondering is strictly about 2015 birthed cubs.
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I'd surmise that her condition has more to do with their survival than anything.

I'm thinking that at 40'degrees outside I could be naked in a den with a big bear and be fine. Little tiny Cubs can get right in against mom and they are getting hot milk every so often as well. Hair starts growing quick.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I'm thinking that at 40'degrees outside I could be naked in a den with a big bear and be fine.
    Now that paints a picture.

Ya like that did ya? Lol
    Master guide 212

How about at -33 degrees below, with the door wide open.........

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I'm thinking that at 40'degrees outside I could be naked in a den with a big bear and be fine. Little tiny Cubs can get right in against mom and they are getting hot milk every so often as well. Hair starts growing quick.

Well I think I'd have some shrinkage then...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    The Islands in Southeast Alaska has properly worst weather conditions for bear denning, it can be rain, snow, warm, cold all in one week down there, doesnít seem to effect the bears/cubs at all. Iíve seen dens from 40í-2000í elevation in hollow logs, hollow standing trees, under stumps, under roots, in small caves, and dung into a dirt hill side! Thatís my first hand groundless speculation!

Those bears and cubs will be just fine!
    What he said
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast