Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~ 2015 Haul Road Hunt Report ~~

Default ~~ 2015 Haul Road Hunt Report ~~

I figured with a new year we might as well start a new hunt report for he haul road. I went up (as posted in the last years hunt report) in early December. Caribou were VERY scarce and saw only one dead one around Galbraith Lake. I went up a little further up the road around Toolik Lake with no signs of caribou anywhere. I heard rumors that there was quite a few around finger mountain on the south side of the pass, but saw none the day I was glossing there. Any truckers/hunters have driven this drive since I went have any updates on the location/number of he caribou in the area?
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Hey Texas,

I also went up around the first week of December. Didn't see a dang thing except one Fox, and a wolverine caught in a trap. Was hoping for a little more action Caribou wise but it was a good trip and unrealistically warm (32 above in Attigun). Anyways, thanks for starting the 2015 thread, I'll stay tuned.

I plan on heading up to finger mountain area next weekend, and truckers see anything lately in that area?

I'm looking at heading up the last week of july, is that to early for caribou to start moving?
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Last year I drove up for the 1st of July season opener. I saw 2 total caribou over the 4 days I was there. The ladies in the dead horse hotel showed me a video on her phone of thousands running across the haul road that she took just two days earlier. It's hit or miss if you'll see many, but just know you will have to be very close to dead horse to see any. Good thing was it was daylight 24/7 so you could see and hunt all day. Like I said I'm driving up this weekend so I will be sure to post any findings.

I've been up the road in September but never in June or July. Any idea on what its like during that time. I assume lots of bugs but where the majority of the caribou be? I just assumed they would all be around Franklin Bluffs or Deadhorse. And I would think a whole lot less people. Any thoughts?

Like I wrote in that last post, during the summer the caribou pass mainly at Franklin bluffs moving from east to west. I saw a ton of tracks right around the bluffs but saw actual 20-30 miles south of deadhorse in between deadhorse and the bluffs. But yes the bugs were terrible.

How did your trip go this weekend?

Had to push it back until next weekend due to the winter storm coming through. Don't want to get stuck anywhere but at my house during the winter.

Hey folks new guy here, from Valdez. We are driving up the haul road at the end of July with the hopes of filling the freezer up and it would be nice to get a big ol bull in the process. We are also planning on stopping along the way and fishing for some char. My main concern is meat care, with that time frame I know it can still be pretty warm out, have any of you ever had to camp out up there with a few Bou already harvested? I'm hoping just the coolers will be ok but please share any knowledge.

I took the stroll this weekend. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. Drove all the way up to pump station 2, and back to sleep at the shelf. Didn't see a single caribou. Talked to quite a few truckers and they all said roughly the same thing that they see most of them either around pump station 3 or at the shelf and south to about mp225. A winter storm came through which made it hard to see further then just a couple hundred yards.

As as far as going in late your ice will melt and you will start spoiling your meat. I would recommend bringing a bunch of trash bags and putting your meat in their and everyte you stop throw your bags into the water to cool them down. You may have to do this every hour or so on the drive back south.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    I took the stroll this weekend. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. Drove all the way up to pump station 2, and back to sleep at the shelf. Didn't see a single caribou. Talked to quite a few truckers and they all said roughly the same thing that they see most of them either around pump station 3 or at the shelf and south to about mp225. A winter storm came through which made it hard to see further then just a couple hundred yards.

As as far as going in late your ice will melt and you will start spoiling your meat. I would recommend bringing a bunch of trash bags and putting your meat in their and everyte you stop throw your bags into the water to cool them down. You may have to do this every hour or so on the drive back south.

Why do you Texas fellers use plastic bags?

not sure what you are looking at taking up there but if you are taking a truck or a trailer you can find an old freezer for free on craigs list or somewhere and gut the racks out of it and it will hold all your food and bou . Just an idea. Also heard of guys using the big fish totes to keep the meat in. I guess it just depends on how much room your gonna have.

Thank you for the advice. We have been talking about a freezer and hopefully we will get enough to fill it! We are also stopping along the way to fish. One thought I had is instead of caping the Bou out, would it make sense to wrap the meat inside the cape? I'm not sure what kind of condition their capes will be in but wouldn't they do an ok job at keeping the meat cool once wrapped and stuffed in the freezer?

I would personally just go get some good game bags. They are cheap and clean. If you try to use the cape I would imagine it would just get hair all over all the meat. You can get good bags for about 10 bucks. Just keep it cool and dry and you should be fine. Nothing worse than nasty dirty meat. I think I would forget the cape idea if it were me.

Game bags and coolers it is thanks for all the advice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Why do you Texas fellers use plastic bags?
    I would usually use game bags, but plasti bags would be a smarter choice of you cool your meat by dumping it in water. If you do that with game bags your meat will become waterlogged.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingFreitag View Post
    Hey folks new guy here, from Valdez. We are driving up the haul road at the end of July with the hopes of filling the freezer up and it would be nice to get a big ol bull in the process. We are also planning on stopping along the way and fishing for some char. My main concern is meat care, with that time frame I know it can still be pretty warm out, have any of you ever had to camp out up there with a few Bou already harvested? I'm hoping just the coolers will be ok but please share any knowledge.
    I hunted near Pump 3 in August of 2012 and it was really hot all ten days we were there. I shot a bou on day two and was worried about it spoiling. I covered it in citric acid and hung in game bags from a tripod we found; it was made out of birch poles. We wrapped a tarp loosely around the poles so the wind could pass thru but and the sun wasn't hitting it directly. We stirred the "extra meat" bag daily to decrease the chance of rot. If time permitted we laid out the extra meat so it could breath a little. Diving back to Fairbanks, we laid it in the covered bed of the truck under tarps. We had no rotten meat. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Artic and everyone else thanks for the input. We have secured a freezer and I'm stocking up on bags. Hopefully we fill em up! I've heard the end of July can be very rough with bugs and slim pickings on the Bou. But should be a fun trip anyway! And maybe one of us will get a decent bull. We've decided to make this trip the "test" and go again in October for a long weekend.

Good luck. Let us know how the trip goes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast