Thread: Waiting list for slips

Default Waiting list for slips

I was told im in for a LONG wait for a slip in either Whittier or Seward. I did a search on here and read one guy has been waiting for years... I might have to keep my boat in Hawaii. Anyone know how long the average wait is? My boat is just shy of 57'.

Im on the list for the 54'-60' in Whittier... so I guess my wait begins. Have to wait 29 weeks for the boat anyways.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B View Post
    I was told im in for a LONG wait for a slip in either Whittier or Seward. I did a search on here and read one guy has been waiting for years... I might have to keep my boat in Hawaii. Anyone know how long the average wait is? My boat is just shy of 57'.

Im on the list for the 54'-60' in Whittier... so I guess my wait begins. Have to wait 29 weeks for the boat anyways.
    Have you looked into buying a slip at the new (private) marina in Whittier?

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post

How much gold are they asking?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I suggest you contact the harbor masters at each place. Different size slips have different waiting times.
    The Harbor Master can give you the most up to date information.
    Tennessee

Wouldn't surprise me if it's measured in years, not months. But there's always hot slipping in the meantime.

Question Gotta ask

Ok--I gotta ask, what is "hot slipping" ???

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    How much gold are they asking?
    The last price I heard was $50K for a 40 footer or lease the same thing for $5K per year.

You might want to try Kodiak. The slips are fairly reasonably priced, and for what you'd save, you could pay for air-fare.

There was on in the ADN for $110,00. I don't know what a $110,000 slip looks like but it better be good!

Tim

The last price I heard was $50K for a 40 footer or lease the same thing for $5K per year.

Holy Cow! I am sure glad I can trailer mine! It just doesn't seem my complaining about launch fees is all that fair now when they are REALLY taking you guys to the cleaners!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

My partner had some bad luck with boat damage there, and for what it would cost me (65K) I dont want the risk.

Harbormaster said it was a 1.5 yr wait, that works out fine for me. So by next hunting season I should be set..... I hope.

I would be more likely to keep my boat in Oahu than in Kodiak, sence that I were im going to be working in 2 yrs.

'Hot slipping' is where the harbor master puts you in a slip already assigned, but not in use at the time. Lot's of folks take their boats out of the water for various reasons, but keep their slip. The good ones let the harbor master know when that is, and they will let you keep your boat there until the slip owner returns.

That's the key... you need to be ready to move your boat, often within hours.

The advantage for all, is that the harbor master is charging 2 people for the same slip. That may sound bad, but realize it keeps the slip fees lower for all harbor users in the long run. It's the same reason most harbor masters will not allow a 'slip owner' to allow his friends to use his slip when his boat is out of the water. By making sure every boat is paying a fee, the fee should stay as low as possible.