Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Havalon vs. Moose

Default Havalon vs. Moose

The wife got me a havalon knife for Christmas. Got a moose hunt planned this fall. How well do you guys think the havalon will do quartering up a moose?

Skinning yes, quartering a moose No. I'd get a strong fixed blade knife for quartering moose. Used a havalon for a season and liked how sharp it was. However, I broke way too many blades with it and got paranoid of cutting my finger off while trying to replace a blade with cold bloody hands. Now I just use a vicky knife and a fixed blade orange handled Cutco and ditched the Havalon altogether. On a side note I heard they have thicker blades available for the Havalon now, I'd make sure to get those if I were you.

• I use this to quarter up moose. Havalon great for skinning.

I did up two moose last fall with my new Havalon. It's a nice and light knife, but I also broke several blades, primarily when cutting/separating the knee joints. I really wasn't torquing the knife that much within the joint when the blade broke, but clearly an operator error on my part x's 3. I'm not fully sold on the Havalon yet, but I'm also not dumping it because it really is a super light knife. Definately my carry knife for goat and sheep where ounces count.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    The wife got me a havalon knife for Christmas. Got a moose hunt planned this fall. How well do you guys think the havalon will do quartering up a moose?
    I've seen them skin/cut moose up in very short order. I prefer other setups, but so long as you use them only to cut they'll do most anything you ask.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    but so long as you use them only to cut they'll do most anything you ask.
    My sentiments also. It won't cut cartilage like a cutco double D tho!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I used one a lot this year.... great skinning knife and makes short work of it. For quartering you'll want a bone saw and a larger knife as well.

Havalon is a great tool, provided it's not used outside its design...it's not a knife, it's a scalpel.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've done several moose with a Havalon. As stated, it's great for skinning, caping, etc- especially around antlers, neck and butt- all areas of tough skin. Blades do break easily, I can do a whole moose with my Havalon and battery powered sawzall, usually 1 battery. I cut hindquarters long, as taking them at the joint leads to more meat loss after hanging for 14 days.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

After using one on two moose & a black bear, I have learned that I need to remind myself "let it cut and don't force the blade". I do not snap many blades if I hold the knife with a three fingers instead of a fist. The thicker blades are worth it. On moose hunts I will still bring my bone saw and bigger knife too. At its weight and usefulness the Havalon will & has been brought along on all of my hunts. The blade swap is easy after some practice, just use the new one for leverage.

Used one havalon blade on a moose and 2 caribou before changing blades just to see if I could do it...granted by the 2nd caribou it was very dull, but I was determined to make it

I don't bring another knife other than a havalon even for moose. Have no problems skinning and quartering and my wife takes all the joints apart with hers. I leave her with that job as she is quick with it and has more finesse than I do obviously as I try to pry and snap goes the blade. No need for me to carry another knife...however a bone say is needed to get antlers off as well as ribs if the meat needs to stay on the bone.

Got a Havalon this year and used it on a moose. Got the heavier duty blades, but still broke some. OK for skinning, but I kept going back to my cheap folding Buck knife. Takes just as long to switch the blades as it does to hone a blade. I saw no advantage to using the Havalon.

I love mine and use to skin exclusivley. I am eager to try the bone saw blade that i picked up recently. I too have learned the subtle ways of the blade that keeps it from snapping. I have done an entire skin of a moose with one blade, i keep it razor sharp by pulling through the hunter honer sharpner every now and again. Those blades sharpen to razor status quickly. I have a small needle nose pliers that fits in the case and makes blade switching a breeze
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKChester View Post
    Got a Havalon this year and used it on a moose. Got the heavier duty blades, but still broke some. OK for skinning, but I kept going back to my cheap folding Buck knife. Takes just as long to switch the blades as it does to hone a blade. I saw no advantage to using the Havalon.
    I bought in to the hype as well and got a Havalon. The only thing I find it useful for is for things like turning lips and ears and skinning the paws of bears. All other skinning and boning chores are better done with heavier duty knives. Just my opinion.

As Luke said (he's kind of my hero), a havalon will do a moose plus. I do all my trapline animals as well as anything hanging I have. I swear by it.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    As Luke said (he's kind of my hero), a havalon will do a moose plus. I do all my trapline animals as well as anything hanging I have. I swear by it.
    Channeling my inner Enrique

Honestly if you are on a moose hunt the couple extra ounces of a real knife are well worth it. I have tried repeatedly to use them on moose & always find them a pain in rear when on the thicker parts of the hide such as the neck area. To many broken blades when one is getting impatient. They have there place & work well for a variety of things but not everything. Besides I always like to have at least one or two backup knifes for other camp chores, cutting wood, cutting dinner or etc... That and the couple custom Ingrams I have look so much better in pictures than a havalon. It comes along on all my hunts but so does something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Does that mean Luke is really my hero too, by proxy through Gooch?

I love the havalon as well, but also take a cutco dd for heavy work.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

It took me a while to realize that there are different types of Havalon knives, with different blade thicknesses. The first one I had, I snapped a lot of blades. Then I went with a heavier one and it made a big difference.

For changing blades, I would NEVER do that with my bare hands. I use the needle-nose Leatherman tool for that. Too easy to slip and do some major damage to yourself, especially with blood and animal fat on your hands. I'm also very careful to locate and dispose of any blade parts that break off. Last thing I need when I'm working on a kill site is to kneel down on a blade fragment, or to find one with my hands while I'm digging around a quarter.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There is a much better option now then the dangerous Havalons! I've had them open up in my pocket before and of coarse been frustrated with all the broken blades like everyone else. I talked to them and told them what they needed to do to fix their problems. They ignored me. So I stopped by Outdoor Edge one day down here in Denver. They listened and now have a much better knife. The blade slides into a slotted blade that gives it all the strength you need and it has a much better spring to prevent it from ever opening up in your pocket! I've thrown my Havalons in the trash!
    You can get the knife and 6 replacement blades on eBay for about $35.

http://www.outdooredge.com/category-s/31.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    There is a much better option now then the dangerous Havalons! I've had them open up in my pocket before and of coarse been frustrated with all the broken blades like everyone else. I talked to them and told them what they needed to do to fix their problems. They ignored me. So I stopped by Outdoor Edge one day down here in Denver. They listened and now have a much better knife. The blade slides into a slotted blade that gives it all the strength you need and it has a much better spring to prevent it from ever opening up in your pocket! I've thrown my Havalons in the trash!
    You can get the knife and 6 replacement blades on eBay for about $35.

http://www.outdooredge.com/category-s/31.htm
    After doing the research I went with the Outdoor Edge as well and my brother just recently did a whole moose with it and only a few blade change outs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast