Thread: Knik 1-12

Default Knik 1-12

Hit Knik lake today got a couple of small landlocks and 1 13" rainbow. Also fished memory and had only got 1 small bow.
    I usually fish every Monday and I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the direction of at least some decent trout or char here in the valley. And by decent I mean just something bigger than these darn landlocks. I know big lake has some nice ones but I dont have a clue where to start on that lake. Feel free to message me, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    -UtahGuy

Was on memory yesterday as well at about 3 tell dark and we couldn't keep the little landlocks away. We had a nice char swim buy and a couple rainbows but just caught a bunch of landlocks. I usually use a bit larger of a lure on one rod and bait on another in hopes the lures to big for the little guys and keep a feeding frenzy in my holes going and after some time it seems the big guys will cruise through to take a look. I usually fish areas I know change depth drasticly or have a change in bottom type like mud to rocks and so forth on big lake and do prety well. A camera will help alot as well. Try around any of the islands and move every hour or so and after a full day you'll have a good chance of something decent but then again I've spent tons of time not catching anything out there the single hook no bait makes you work a little harder.

Default memory lake rainbow

Caught three in the 20 to 24 in range today and missed a good half dozen or more and had one pike keep atacking and missing the hook and had a huge pike as well swim rite by and never came back. Was there for about two hours in 3 ft of water maybe. And best of all had my first muskrat come out of no were I had my head stuffed in the hole and he was quick to come back over and over again It was truly hard to fish he would try getting up and I'd wack him and he went to the other hole and back and forth like a dozen times over 20 mins. It was a good time to fish though that's for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang! Was this on memory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it was

My aunt and uncle live over across the street from memory and when I first visited here in 2010 I caught bows up to 20" and a couple of 12-16" pike out of their canoe but I haven't been I able to figure out the bows up here through the ice.
    Any recommendations for bait?

No bait all lure! I have found that there are certain areas, times, and lure presentation will always outfish bait but I've probly got 60 days of ice fishing a year for years on big lake with a camera so I've got to see how each method works and when. But for bait I usually tip with shrimp or egg but for shrimp cured or non it depends on the lure. I used no bait today and did great with just a tube jig and the first bow and pike went for a 7/8oz jig white with white 3 1/2 in grub the tube jigs I like to cram some shimp in before hooking it so you don't get robbed of bait if I do use bait but whit is a good all time color. The big ones moved slow and I was fighting to not hook little guys and every time id get about ten landlocks going ape **** in my hole they would run and instantly a big boy would come through. I think sight fishing will realy up the number of big guys as well as lures that are to big for the little guys but still make them go nuts. And I fish the top few feet of drop offs.but yep a good viriaty of lures and the ability to see how they react is huge

Thanks for the help troutslayer if you ever want to meet up I always have Monday off and now that I have a truck I plan on going as much as possible.

Yeah, I was going to say I've caught plenty of rainbows over 20" in memory lake. Granted most were before that lake got pike introduced in there. But I was there a few weeks ago and had a monster on that actually broke the hook off my aero jig he was so big. I was guessing him an honest 24" rainbow. Knik lake has always produced little landlocked salmon like you are saying. I've never caught anything worth mentioning out of that lake. Plenty of lakes around the valley with big trout in them. Just check out the ADF&G website on the lake stocking information. About 5 minutes of searching will tell you which lakes have had the big ones stocked in them recently. Good luck.

Can anyone tell me how to get on Memory Lake? Will be driving on with my 4 wheeler. Looking at it on Google Earth and can't see an access point.
    Also, which is better to fish, the upper or lower lake?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

check top of this web site for lakes depths it shows how to get on all lakes they stock an what is pri. land an where you can park
    with out causing problems with the locals , it is under"" lake listings"" in the top of this forum "" ""ICE FISHING """ SID

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get on Memory Lake? Will be driving on with my 4 wheeler. Looking at it on Google Earth and can't see an access point.
    Also, which is better to fish, the upper or lower lake?
    Coming from Wasilla take the Wasilla Fishook approx 3 miles NE to the stop light at the gas station. Take a left at the light and an immediate right onto Shrock road. Go up Shrock a couple miles and take a right at Hebrides. Go to the end of the road and take a left at the stop sign. Public access is on the right.