Thread: Cabelas XWT deal

Default Cabelas XWT deal

Just a heads up for a great deal at Cabelas. The 8x8 and 12x12 XWT tents are 1/2 price right now. They seem to be pretty popular on this forum. Pitch kits and floor liners also.

Too bad the 6 person isn't on sale........probably because I think it's the most popular.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dang! I thought I was getting a pretty good deal last year when I got mine for something like 20% off. Oh well, money isn't everything. But it sure lets me buy more stuff.

My 12x is on its way. My favorite tent by far.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

That's the one I ended up getting Jake. I debated back and forth between the 10x and 12x especially given the weight. My two brothers and I were really glad to have the extra space this year as we spent a fair amt of time inside due to weather. It was really comfortable having enough space for chairs at the end of our cots. I was also glad that the big buddy heater had plenty of snort to heat that big space with plenty of BTU's to spare.

Scott

Ya the 12x fits three full size cots and a big buddy heater makes a great camp!
    Master guide 212

I'm looking at getting the 12X12, and I was wondering would this be an ok setup for a summer basecamp on the road. Getting out of the Vil is nice, but expensive without a place on the road. I've been looking at canvas tents, but not sure if I really want to fork out a couple or grand for a summer tent.

I have a small family of 4. Wife and I and two very small children. What say you guys that own one of these?

Heck ya i use mine all year. Huge vestibule for cooking outa the rain or storing stuff to make room in the tent. Set up is easy its a four pole tent. Five counting vestibule pole n
    Master guide 212

Yukon, as with anything, this tent has its pros and cons. As Jake said, its big, well made, stands up to wind and rain well and has a large vestibule that is functional as a kitchen. I would also add that I really liked the idea of being able to set up the fly first and then the tent so you can protect the tent from getting wet. (You have to buy the extra set up kit.) I wouldn't necessarily characterize the set up as easy, but I don't really have a lot of experience with tents this size. The set up takes a little getting used to but I suppose its easy enough. It is heavy but I suppose that comes with a quality tent this size. It is expensive too. It having a floor can be a concern as well. I was road camping up off the Haul rd this year and found myself constantly worried about the gravel under the floor in spite of having a heavy tarp doubled up under most of it plus moving blankets under the high traffic area near the door where we occasionally set up chairs. We didn't have any holes or failures, but it was always on my mind. On the other hand, I spent a week in my brothers elk camp in Idaho last year in a canvas wall tent. The floor was a waterproof tarp with green indoor/outdoor carpet over it. The carpet was nice in that it was soft, warm, tough, and best of all cheaply replaceable. He has a premade metal framework for it so he doesn't need to cut trees or anything but it would be a lot to haul around and set up daily. However it was great to have set up for a week at a time with a warm stove inside for drying clothes and a big tarp over the whole tent and extending past for a waterproof roof to sit under. For my tent, I preferred to use a Clam 1660 Mag screen tent that I got from Sportsmans for my kitchen and bug free shelter. This was a real luxury. This thing was the bomb. I would be careful of trusting it in lots of wind but dang is it beyond easy to set up and take down by yourself.

I hope this helps rather than muddy the waters. Both options are great for what they are, but there are limitations.

Happy camping,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Yukon, as with anything, this tent has its pros and cons. As Jake said, its big, well made, stands up to wind and rain well and has a large vestibule that is functional as a kitchen. I would also add that I really liked the idea of being able to set up the fly first and then the tent so you can protect the tent from getting wet. (You have to buy the extra set up kit.) I wouldn't necessarily characterize the set up as easy, but I don't really have a lot of experience with tents this size. The set up takes a little getting used to but I suppose its easy enough. It is heavy but I suppose that comes with a quality tent this size. It is expensive too. It having a floor can be a concern as well. I was road camping up off the Haul rd this year and found myself constantly worried about the gravel under the floor in spite of having a heavy tarp doubled up under most of it plus moving blankets under the high traffic area near the door where we occasionally set up chairs. We didn't have any holes or failures, but it was always on my mind. On the other hand, I spent a week in my brothers elk camp in Idaho last year in a canvas wall tent. The floor was a waterproof tarp with green indoor/outdoor carpet over it. The carpet was nice in that it was soft, warm, tough, and best of all cheaply replaceable. He has a premade metal framework for it so he doesn't need to cut trees or anything but it would be a lot to haul around and set up daily. However it was great to have set up for a week at a time with a warm stove inside for drying clothes and a big tarp over the whole tent and extending past for a waterproof roof to sit under. For my tent, I preferred to use a Clam 1660 Mag screen tent that I got from Sportsmans for my kitchen and bug free shelter. This was a real luxury. This thing was the bomb. I would be careful of trusting it in lots of wind but dang is it beyond easy to set up and take down by yourself.

I hope this helps rather than muddy the waters. Both options are great for what they are, but there are limitations.

Happy camping,
    Scott
    You didn't muddy the waters at all. We've started the looking for something on the road process and I can't justify a house payment while paying rent in the village. Which is why I am thinking base camp nice tent idea. Us the tent while I build a recreational/liveable cabin.

Too bad the smaller, Geodesic tents are on sale. Those XWT's are monstrosities. Still, the XWT, at a zillion percent off, is now CHEAPER than the comparable Geodesic tent I planned to buy. Still have four hours to decide and pull the trigger. Or not.

I missed it

Of course I purchased the 12x this fall at the end of the season. Thought I was doing good to get it at 25% off but apparently pulled the trigger a couple months too soon. Still happy to have just picked up the Pitch Kit and floor liner for half off though.

The xwt is big, expensive and heavy. But seems to be worth it. I've used mine dozen times so far at least and no complaints. Only real dilemma I ever have is finding the space to set it up.. Half off is crazy cheap!!! If you want to check one out, I'm in Wasilla, your welcome to come over and set it up on the lawn! (and take it down) I can set it up by myself in 2o-30 minutes. Maybe less if I'm cold and wet. The little buddy will keep it toasty warm.

In case anybody is interested this tent is on sale right now..... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi..._SEQ_105517980
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!