Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasilla Airport Gas Thieves

Default Wasilla Airport Gas Thieves

I was just informed by a friend that my gas cap was left off my airplane. I said I must have left if off after I filled it. He then said the tanks are empty and he called the police. I let a few other buddies who park at the airport know and one of them was hit as well and his cap left off. His tanks filled with snow and ice requiring a thaw job and he also filed a police report. I called the Public Works Department as well who said another person was hit this past weekend.

That's too bad.
    I know it probably won't work well with your planes but when I was a kid my dad had a solution.
    He had an old underground gas tank on the farm he decided was too old to use anymore. So Knowing the neighbor kids were thieves when it was empty he filled it with water and left the lock unlatched.
    They filled every vehicle they owned plumb full of water. Both their parents vehicles plus their own and their tractor lawn mower etc.
    I can still remember to this day the sound of them trying to start all those vehicles that were full of water.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That's great! Put out a dummy plane.

So you didn't have wing covers on? The other guys? I'd think half undone wing covers would have been a tell?

Quote Originally Posted by 375matt View Post
    I was just informed by a friend that my gas cap was left off my airplane. I said I must have left if off after I filled it. He then said the tanks are empty and he called the police. I let a few other buddies who park at the airport know and one of them was hit as well and his cap left off. His tanks filled with snow and ice requiring a thaw job and he also filed a police report. I called the Public Works Department as well who said another person was hit this past weekend.
    So, a couple screw balls figured out it's easier to siphon fuel out of an aircraft than an automobile.... They must be pretty desperate tho, what with fuel prices falling like they are.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    So you didn't have wing covers on? The other guys? I'd think half undone wing covers would have been a tell?

I had the wing covers off to try and cut down on some of the wear n tear on days like today with 40 mph gusts. Though being 320 lbs lighter on fuel probably isn't helping her stay on the ground any better today. It sucks but I talked to a guy parked at Lake Hood this summer that had his prop stolen, could always be worse I guess.

I figured it would be easy to catch them with 4 webcams at the airport....

I figured it would be easy to catch them with 4 webcams at the airport....
    Did you get one of the remote keys from the city office yet? I heard about them second hand and went and picked it up, they are wanting to get the gate working so only those with the remote key have access to the airport. BUT... I think they have been talking about it for a while now. Something needs to change thats for sure.

The thugs doing this obviously have no regard for human life if they leave the cap off and expose the fuel tank to the elements. Should be legal to remove the perps from the gene pool. They are already at the shallow end.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    Did you get one of the remote keys from the city office yet? I heard about them second hand and went and picked it up, they are wanting to get the gate working so only those with the remote key have access to the airport. BUT... I think they have been talking about it for a while now. Something needs to change thats for sure.
    I got one of the remote keys but the gate hasn't ever been locked that I have seen.

8 Tubes of water out of the tanks today... makes me real excited to go fly it now to see if I missed any water.

I stopped this morning to put my covers back on and one of the maintenance guys stopped by and asked if I had any of the problems. He says they are working on getting the gates to open and close, maybe sooner than later. Think I would go ahead and dump some Isopropyl heet in the tanks when you go fly.

His tanks filled with snow and ice requiring a thaw job and he also filed a police report.
    Wow, I would think the police would be investigating this and taking this matter very seriously. Considering the fact that putting snow and ice in someone's gas tank could kill someone. Please keep us informed of the progress of this investigation. I am assuming they stole avgas correct? Who uses avgas? Other pilots maybe? I wouldn't think some teenage thugs would try to steal avgas to put it in there car.

Avgas works good in cars, especially high compression. Same for race sleds, high end RC toys, etc. I've used avgas for years in my day to day snowmachines and boat motors. If there are no IM tests to worry about, no issue. If a guy does not care about his catalytic converter, no problem.
    Somebody remind me, isn't messing w/ aircraft a federal crime? If so, does that not make stealing gas a felony?
    This fall I was at AeroFuel w/ a buddy getting gas for his jugs. A young man was pumping gas into a 5 gallon jug. He finished, put the jug into the back of a black car, and drove off down the taxiway. I was not paying attention as I helped pull jugs out and take tops off. As soon as my buddy put in his credit card the pump started clicking over, and the meter showed fuel had been used. The guy had been draining the hose, stealing gas. I jumped in my truck, took off after him (he was all the way down to the end) and called Airport PoPo. We missed catching the guy before he made it off the airport.
    I'm assuming there is no constant authority on the Wasilla airport? Is there really 4 webcams there? Are they wx only? Is the airport lighted enough to be able to see anything?
    Spread the word, encourage more traffic around the clock, take binocs and eat dinner or read a book, figure out who is supposed to be there, and talk to the local police to be sure they can prioritize the concern as much as possible. Are the aircraft affected in the same area or are they spread out around the airport? Are there any lights on hangars, etc, that can be turned on? Be sure to pull all of the valuables out of the planes to reduce that draw for thieves.
    Good luck,
    ARR

My plane is at Wolf Lake Airport. The other day I went to fly, took the wing covers off, and one of my gas caps was off. Not sure if any gas was taken, both tanks still had 20 gallons each and I can't remember where I left them at. However, the cap must have been taken off before the rains, and that tank was full of water! Theory is that someone was planning something but was thwarted before it could happen. Very scary to have a tank full of water.

Yeah, they are creating 3 big risks. No fuel, water in tanks and caps off. The 2 I know the facts on were in random spots, mines right in front of a webcam in the middle of the airport in the middle of a row. Both I know of were 180/185's. Pilots have enough risks and expenses and don't really need any dirt bags adding to the list.

Seems like a locking gas cap would be well worth the investment.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Does anyone know the address of where to pick those clickers up at?

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Does anyone know the address of where to pick those clickers up at?
    City of Wasilla
    Department of Public Works
    290 E. Herning Avenue
    Wasilla, AK 99654
    Phone: 907.373.9010
    Email: publicworks@ci.wasilla.ak.us

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Seems like a locking gas cap would be well worth the investment.
    That would prevent water and snow from being put in the tank, but they could still drain fuel from the wing from underneath with the valves.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast