Thread: Taurus TCP review

Default Taurus TCP review

PART ONE:

So....a couple months ago... I had a Kel-Tec, a Ruger LCP and a Taurus TCP all sitting in front of me.
    While the Kel-Tec was smaller than the other two, the TCP had the best trigger. So I bought the dang thing on a whim...

After a good cleaning and some light oiling I headed out the the range with whatever ammo I could find in my shop.

The DA only trigger pull is 4.65 pounds on my trigger gauge. Much less than the Ruger or Kel-Tec. So far so good.

The only ammo I could find was:
    Hornady Critical Defense,
    PMC 90 grain FMJ
    and a Box of something called Independence ammo made by Federal with 95 grain FMJ and a nickeled case.

I set up my target in failing light at 15.2 yards. (45.6 feet ) Which is probably the max distance for this type of pop-gun.

15 yard accuracy, five shot groups, average of three groups:

PMC 90gr FMJ, = 2.75 inches. usually 3 shots in 1.0 to 1.5 inch and two flyers.

Crit Def 90gr FTX = 4.0 inches, usually 3 shots in 1.5 inch with two flyers.

Indep 95gr FMJ = 5.0 inches with no consistency.

The PMC ammo never had any problems and the little gun just loves it.

The Hornady Critical Defense ammo had some hang ups with the bullet tip getting hung up on the last round in the mag. Causing a failure to chamber.

The Independence (economy Federal) did not work very well. It had about 30% failure to eject. Plus it does not group well at all. It even ejects the wrong way....compared to the other ammo. It seems that the nickel plated case hang up in the chamber.

NOTE: This gun would not extract live brass when pulling the slide to the rear. When fired it throws the PMS brass to the 4 o'clock position about 6 feet away. When it choices to fire the plated brass stuff it throws the brass weakly in different directions.

The serial number is 5 digits and an A. I have no idea how long it was in my friends shop.

So far I have only fired 60 to 70 rounds and figured I would give it another 100-150 before I become alarmed..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

PART TWO:

I ran more rounds through it.. 50 rounds of 95 grain American Eagle with brass cases. It works, with a 3 inch lower impact than the Korean PMC 90 grain.

But it still would not extract the nickel plated cases of the Hornady C.D ammo, even when it chooses to load them. The same for plated case FMJ from Federal.
    And it will not extract anything during hand cycling. The extractor claw does not engage.

I called customer service twice in one day. I was on hold for an hour and five minutes so far during the second attempt.. While waiting I checked my serial number on their website and it was made in 2010. Actually it was one of many things I have done while on hold.

Finally on day number three of calling, I managed to talk to a live human and sent the gun back to the factory.

After be gone for a month I received it back with a form letter saying they had replaced all sorts of parts. It still did not work....The slide locked back on every shot.

So I did some home gunsmithing and now it functions pretty much 100%

So I modified the new slide latch activation pawl that was being pushed up by the live rounds in the magazine. Swiss files and a honing stone.

( There is a reason that Ruger and Keltech do not have slide stops. )

After my shooting bench modification the gun works perfectly.

But all groups are now much lower than point of aim with the new barrel.

AMMO TEST IN TCP-738
    Temp 39 degrees,
    RANGE 15 yards.
    Velocity average of ten shots. Chrono at 6 feet.

Hornady 90gr FTX Critical Defense: = 884 fps and a 1.75 inch group

Rem 102gr Ultimate Defense for compacts: = 851 fps and a 3 inch group

Fiocchi 90gr HP: = 856 fps and a 1.0 inch group GREAT LOAD

PMC 90gr FMJ: = 870 fps and a 3 inch group.

Winchester Train and Def 95gr HP : = 866 fps and a 5 inch group

Winchester PDX1 95gr HP: = 875 fps and a 5 inch group

Federal 95gr FMJ : = 874 fps and a 1.0 inch group close to point of aim. Good Load

Remington Golden Saber 102gr hp:= 780 fps and a 7 inch huge group

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Quality out of control.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Love my little Sig 238 low tech design.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Taurus tcp review

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Quality out of control.
    WORDS TO LIVE BY, many guns sent back to taurus, gets old.

I bought a TCP a few years ago right before the big semi-auto ban scare. I think I paid about $180 at Fred Meyer including an extra magazine.

Off the top of my head I don't recall any failures running UMC or American Eagle FMJ but it isn't reliable with the flatter hollow points. Some reading on the subject revealed that the problem seemed to be pretty common among the guns that small including some of the more spendy ones. Personally it doesn't bother me much though because with so little power I think you might be better off carrying FMJs for personal protection anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if a Carhartt jacket and a flannel shirt would stop the hollow points.

You may be aware of this but i'll continue just in case. The "A" serial number indicates it was in the first batch they made, they are notorious for fee problems and if I recall correctly they tried to fix it with a modification to something, I don't recall if it was the gun or the magazine, the "fixed" ones were released with a "B" serial number. The fix improved things but they still were getting complaints so they fixed something else and those came out with a "C" serial number. The "C" guns have gotten pretty good reviews, good enough that I picked one up to "try out" and its never failed to feed or eject with factory ammo. I did fail to eject while I was working up a load when I was shooting the low end loads, it definitely likes a "hot" hand load.

I BELIEVE the "fix" that was credited with correcting the problems was to the magazine and a NEW vintage factory magazine is suppose to make the "A" and "B" guns shoot better.

Mine has functioned so well it gets carried about 90% of the time now, it already has wear marks on all the edges and its only about 3 years old!