Thread: a CALIBER is Not a CARTRIDGE/ a CARTRIDGE is Not a CALIBER......

Smile a CALIBER is Not a CARTRIDGE/ a CARTRIDGE is Not a CALIBER......

One is a Measurement and only a Measurement (OK, it could be a method of making a measurement).

A cartridge ""HAS"" a caliber, but a Caliber "Does NOT" have a Cartridge.

Or that has long been my understanding.

END of RANT.......

There may be a caliber that has only one cartridge representing it, so therefore it would be both cartridge and caliber. Technically you could be wrong, but I know... it bugs me too.

A caliber will always be a measurement.....or a "tool" for measuring.

Example: Sayak is a man of high caliber.

Example: I want to change the caliber of the nozzle for frosting this cake.

True enough, as most firearms are marked for the cartridge they are chambered for. Although US military firearms are generally only marked with "caliber". Such as: U.S. RIFLE
    7.62mm M14
    Harrington and Richardson
    Note it only says "7.62mm", not 7.62x51 or 7.62NATO, or some other specific "cartridge". Whereas most commercial firearms are specifically marked with the appropriate "cartridge".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yes, however when someone asks the forum members "What is the best CALIBER for a given animal, I can cut that some slack. I feel we should not respond by stating a "Cartridge".

Eventually it should raise the "Caliber" of the conversations....

And a cartridge is not a rifle....."what's the best rifle for hunting brown bear?"......they seldom mean Winchester 70 or Savage 110.....they are asking which cartridge is best?......

So what caliber is a Mark 7?

Is it 16" or 50?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep it has been a LONG winter with little else to do!!!!!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One is a Measurement and only a Measurement (OK, it could be a method of making a measurement).

A cartridge ""HAS"" a caliber, but a Caliber "Does NOT" have a Cartridge.

Or that has long been my understanding.

END of RANT.......
    That is very troo.
    It bugs me tue

It would be more understandable if folks wouldn't say Caliber, when Cartridge is what they mean. I guess some folks just don't know or care, as long as we understand what they mean.

I always use the terms correctly, when I respond to a post where that happens.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A mark 7 is 16" in caliber with a barrel 50 calibers long. (16" bore about 62.5 feet long) Lot's of folks call things other than there real name. Clip and magazine are often miss named.Bendix is often used instead of starter drive. The engine in your car is often called a motor. Revolvers are often called pistols. Gender is improperly used for the word sex. It goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    A caliber will always be a measurement.....or a "tool" for measuring.

Example: Sayak is a man of high caliber.

Example: I want to change the caliber of the nozzle for frosting this cake.
    Only someone who decorates cakes would come up with that in regards to caliber. Cracked me up!

It is a screwed up world! I make lots of trips to Brownell's and before leaving I send one of those texts that goes to a half a dozen folk, asking if they need me to pick up anything for them while I'm there. I've got a friend who just recently text me back and said he wanted some 30-06 caliber 150 grainers. He also has rifles that shoot the 300 Savage and a 308 winchester. So I asked him"if they are out of 30-06 caliber 150 grainers will some .308 caliber 150 grainers do?" Then he dared to act confused! When it's just a dialect issue and they really know the difference well, that's one thing. However when they have been shooting guns most of their life and they still think 30-06, 308 Winchester and 300 Savage are different calibers then Lord help em! The same guy puts salt on his sidewalk because if someone falls he is reliable when he really means liable! Since I'm a redneck hillbilly and I know the difference then does that mean there is a step lower on the food chain than redneck hillbilly?

To add, often times people mention a shotgun; 12ga, 20ga etc. in response to caliber, when in fact, it is not a caliber.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I jist want everbody to know, that most of my misuse of the Language is On Purpose..

"Most" of it, I think.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    The same guy puts salt on his sidewalk because if someone falls he is reliable when he really means liable!
    Perhaps said guy has been found liable once already, and wishes to avoid a repeat?

Entertaining intercourse, this. (And I'm not referring to sex, regardless of your gender).

And speaking of the word "to"; how many readers believe it means "also" or "excessive"? Not too bright? Grab a dictionary, and buy a vowel! Hell, buy two; they're cheap!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Perhaps said guy has been found liable once already, and wishes to avoid a repeat?

Entertaining intercourse, this. (And I'm not referring to sex, regardless of your gender).

And speaking of the word "to"; how many readers believe it means "also" or "excessive"? Not too bright? Grab a dictionary, and buy a vowel! Hell, buy two; they're cheap!
    I go back and reread some of my posts and have to shake my head. Interacting on the internet via smart phone or note book can make anyone look bad. My smart phone is a mind reader and I don't care what I type it's going to change it to what it thinks I should say. If I type Ruger model 77 it turns it into Either model 77. I know the difference between to, too and two and the difference between there, they're and their but inevitably in my haste I get it wrong. To say "I can't here" makes no sense nor does "come over hear" I have never, ever had an issue when writing with a pen/pencil yet my proof reading of what I put to type reveals that I get them wrong when I type even though I know the difference. Dyslexia?Perhaps. Old age? Probably. Haste? Absolutely. However caliber and cartridge have never been an issue in my pea brain!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

I too wonder the same thing, oft times though I believe it is a simple typo rather than misuse.

The .410 shotgun is caliber for guage its a 67 guage. A 12 bore shoots a .730 caliber slug/bullet
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yeah, darn right! and My .577 caliber 1862 Enfield carbine is really a ..ah........oh wait.....

Plus every sailor knows that caliber is the length of the barrel on the ship's gun times the bore diameter. So a 5 inch-54 Caliber gun has a barrel that is 54 x 5 inches long. As compared to the WWII 5 inch destroyer guns which were 5 inch-38 caliber.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com