Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Sport Fish Director moving to new position

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,529

    Default Sport Fish Director moving to new position

    I heard from two sources today that the Sport Fish Director is moving to a position working on SE treaty issues and the Pacific Salmon Commission. I have know Charlie for a number of years and I wish him luck in his new positions if it turns out that way.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    Interesting, I had met with Charlie in the middle of December and he was planning on being with sportfish at that time, but times do change and opportunities arrise. I am guessing it probably has something to do with the new administration and new F&G director coming soon.
    any word on a replacement? Probably wait until there is a new F&G director.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Interesting, I had met with Charlie in the middle of December and he was planning on being with sportfish at that time, but times do change and opportunities arrise. I am guessing it probably has something to do with the new administration and new F&G director coming soon.
    any word on a replacement? Probably wait until there is a new F&G director.
    No word on replacement

  4. #4
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    I hadn't heard that yet, but I know they really needed someone to be on point for those issues since the prior person didn't survive the transition.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  5. #5
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Just heard that the assignment to treaty issues doesn't affect his position as sport fish director.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Just heard that the assignment to treaty issues doesn't affect his position as sport fish director.
    I know the local guys and some from SE are saying it has not been announced but well known in the Department. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    I am hearing something a little bit different, time will tell. Another test of everyone's sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I know the local guys and some from SE are saying it has not been announced but well known in the Department. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I am hearing something a little bit different, time will tell. Another test of everyone's sources.
    Not a test at all yukon. Kind of a strange way of looking at the world. With an Administration in transition things can change quickly and has nothing to do with the information at the time. The point is that something with the Sport Fish Director position is going on and maybe the administration should tell people what. Same for the Director of Comm Fish. I assume that an announcement will be made after the Board sends up the names for Commissioner.

  9. #9

    Default

    Looks like Charlie's official title is Deputy Commish, and that Tom Brookover is now acting Sport Fish Director. Or so my sources say....

    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...gets-a-new-job

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Looks like Charlie's official title is Deputy Commish, and that Tom Brookover is now acting Sport Fish Director. Or so my sources say....

    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...gets-a-new-job
    Thanks smithTB, that is what I was hearing his new job would be. I am surprised that they announced it before hiring a new commissioner.

  11. #11
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Yep, I'm seeing the Deputy Commissioner announcement in seafood.com this morning. I guess my source from the other day wasn't correct...
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I heard from two sources today that the Sport Fish Director is moving to a position working on SE treaty issues and the Pacific Salmon Commission. I have know Charlie for a number of years and I wish him luck in his new positions if it turns out that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I know the local guys and some from SE are saying it has not been announced but well known in the Department. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

    Gotta give you a hard time about your sources. Deputy Commissioner it is.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Gotta give you a hard time about your sources. Deputy Commissioner it is.

    From my "source"- the Clarion:

    "In his new role, Swanton will be working with the Pacific Salmon Commission and the Pacific Salmon Treaty between the United States and Canada — which governs the harvest and sharing of the nations’ salmon resources, said Brooks."

    Yukon, Nerka was spot on. Charlie will be working on treaty issues - a position he has been working towards for a while I've heard - far away from the drama of Cook Inlet.

    Nerka posts what he hears - honestly and openly. I appreciate that.

    Yukon, you were both hearing good information it sounds like, the only difference being that Nerka put himself out there and shared, and you didn't until after it was in the news. To each his own, but not worth giving Nerka a hard time about.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    From my "source"- the Clarion:

    "In his new role, Swanton will be working with the Pacific Salmon Commission and the Pacific Salmon Treaty between the United States and Canada — which governs the harvest and sharing of the nations’ salmon resources, said Brooks."

    Yukon, Nerka was spot on. Charlie will be working on treaty issues - a position he has been looking towards for a while - far away from this mess in Cook Inlet.

    Nerka posts what he hears - honestly and openly. I appreciate that.
    His title is "deputy commissioner" much more than just working on the Pacific Salmon Commission and Pacific Salmon Treaty, although those are important duties, deputy commission will entail more, unless it is just a "working title" like Hepler...lol!

    I appreciate Nerka's posts as well, but I am much more cautious of taking what his sources say as truth than most.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    His title is "deputy commissioner" much more than just working on the Pacific Salmon Commission and Pacific Salmon Treaty, although those are important duties, deputy commission will entail more, unless it is just a "working title" like Hepler...lol!

    I appreciate Nerka's posts as well, but I am much more cautious of taking what his sources say as truth than most.
    Only because Nerka puts himself out there and posts what he hears when he hears it. Part of the problem with this whole fish fight is everyone holds info and will not share it. We need honest, open dialogue and I thank Nerka for encouraging that. I don't think it's fair for you to give him a hard time when you won't even separate yourself from the sporfishing syndicate crew - the WORST offenders when it comes to perpetuating untruths. Still waiting for you and other guides to take a stance on the initiative...

    So he had the guts to post something he heard before it was confirmed. You didn't. He was right, and you would have been too but you chose not to share.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    Your right, I don't always post what my sources say, I was told 2 days ago it was 100% sure that Swanton would be the Deputy Commissioner. I didn't post that because even though I was told it was "100%" it was 3rd hand information and I didn't feel right posting it as fact as I know how things get twisted. I don't think it is right to post rumors, which often get taken as fact, and are often found to be false. Things have been posted on this forum that have been taken as fact and there are lots of assumptions made that were false, and never get corrected. That does not do the forum readers any good and it has tarnished the names of good people.


    On another issue (don't want to hijack), but did you attend the KRSMA meeting and elections? I haven't heard an update on the results.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Your right, I don't always post what my sources say, I was told 2 days ago it was 100% sure that Swanton would be the Deputy Commissioner. I didn't post that because even though I was told it was "100%" it was 3rd hand information and I didn't feel right posting it as fact as I know how things get twisted. I don't think it is right to post rumors, which often get taken as fact, and are often found to be false. Things have been posted on this forum that have been taken as fact and there are lots of assumptions made that were false, and never get corrected. That does not do the forum readers any good and it has tarnished the names of good people.


    On another issue (don't want to hijack), but did you attend the KRSMA meeting and elections? I haven't heard an update on the results.
    Sounds like you have great sources. I can tell you from experience that they are easier to keep when you don't post the information they give you - responsibly or not. People tend to clam up when they think you are going to "spill the beans". The favorite weapon in this fish fight is information, and everyone likes to keep things "close to their chest".

    No, I could not attend the latest KRSMA meeting, but I spoke to people who did. Should I keep the information to myself, or say, "I heard from someone I trust that there was good discussion about increased river use, and that Ted Wellman is now the board chair and Brent Johnson is vice chair"?

    See, it was easy. Simply something I heard (and I disclosed that) - anyone can correct me if I was wrong and if I find otherwise I will be sure to correct myself. If you choose not to post information that it is fine, but IMO nothing wrong with throwing it out there so long as the intent is truth.

    So now you are fairly certain of who the new board chairs are. Irresponsible or helpful?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,077

    Default

    Thanks, that was helpful.

    THis is the internet and an anonymous forum, it wouldn't be the first time someone posts something that is irresponsible and hurtful and hid behind their screen name. Some that have posted wrong information did not go back and clear it up which bothers me, so I take every post with a grain of salt, especially with "sources" and often the information is presented as fact (with a "source" disclaimer) but then assumptions are made as the thread goes on and on, but that is the nature of an internet forum.

    I too protect my sources, I have found that most give me information for me, not the internet forum. If I do post something from a source, I always ask if it is okay to post.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Thanks, that was helpful.

    THis is the internet and an anonymous forum, it wouldn't be the first time someone posts something that is irresponsible and hurtful and hid behind their screen name. Some that have posted wrong information did not go back and clear it up which bothers me, so I take every post with a grain of salt, especially with "sources" and often the information is presented as fact (with a "source" disclaimer) but then assumptions are made as the thread goes on and on, but that is the nature of an internet forum.

    I too protect my sources, I have found that most give me information for me, not the internet forum. If I do post something from a source, I always ask if it is okay to post.
    God bless the internet. Talk about freedom of speech. There has also been a lot of information sharing and learning happening on this forum too. Lots of good discussion, data, facts, and science referenced and posted - not just on the management forum either. Garbage "data" or data interpretation is fact-checked regularly. Isn't it interesting that the sportfishing syndicate boys choose to read but not participate? I've read someone comment more than once that their father told them not to start a fight with a person who buys ink by the barrel. That was before the internet. Speed of light baby. And F R double E. Heck, I could post this from Australia!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    His title is "deputy commissioner" much more than just working on the Pacific Salmon Commission and Pacific Salmon Treaty, although those are important duties, deputy commission will entail more, unless it is just a "working title" like Hepler...lol!

    I appreciate Nerka's posts as well, but I am much more cautious of taking what his sources say as truth than most.
    Just for the record my sources said Deputy Commissioner because he took the position of a person that left with that title. I did not post that because the Administration may have wanted to name him to a different title. The point was he was leaving his sport fish director job. Also, Yukon when I am wrong about something I tend to post a correction. Can you say the same?

    But enough of this - lets move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •