Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Calibers for Moose and Bear

Default Advice on Calibers for Moose and Bear

Considering a move to AK.

Right now I have a 9.3x62mm Mauser, 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, and a Control feed Stainless Savage in 7mm Magnum.
    Also have a Stainless Savage Axis rifle I can turn into anything push feed.

I did have my 7mm Savage set up as a 375 Ruger at one time and its a very nice round.

I have been considering buying a 2nd SS barrel for my 7mm Savage in either 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger.

That said 9.3x62 is so close in caliber to 375 it doesnt make sense or does it ?
    416 Ruger is probably a huge overkill unless I go Big Brown hunting or go to Africa.

Or should I just stick with 7mm mag and 9.3x62.

Also I hand load but is 9.3x62 ammo available in AK ?

The 9.3 is a very good choice and some ammo is available in Anchorage.......your cartridge choices have all the bases covered.....

You're moving to Alaska? You will 'need' to buy a lot more firearms. Everyone who lives and hunts here has something for every species. You will want a short barreled lever gun in a large caliber for those times when you are out in the woods. A bolt action, long range caliber for open country hunting. At least a couple magnum revolvers. And the list goes on.................
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Less so than a caliber (all that you have has it covered) to me it's more that you have a gun that is light enough and fast handling enough that you will actually carry it when fishing or mucking around in bear/spring moose country. Whether that's a big pistol, a shotgun, a LA 45.70, or your bolt 7mm.......no difference as long as it's comfortable enough that you actually take it with you.

Let me count.
    3 22LR
    Several Shotguns.
    358 Gremlin ar15 with a spare 223 barrel.
    223 Savage target rifle
    7mm mag savage
    270 Weatherby
    2 30-06's available
    2 243's available
    6.5x55 Mauser
    8mm Mauser Tanker
    9.3x62 Masuer 98
    Working on a 450 Bushmaster Mauser

10mm Auto pistol
    1911 45 ACP
    XD45 TAC safety model soon to be converted to 460 Rowland.
    44 mag but will probably sell it and buy a 454 or a 460.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    You're moving to Alaska? You will 'need' to buy a lot more firearms. Everyone who lives and hunts here has something for every species. You will want a short barreled lever gun in a large caliber for those times when you are out in the woods. A bolt action, long range caliber for open country hunting. At least a couple magnum revolvers. And the list goes on.................

Thanks, yes I could do a light savage build with a 16" barrel or something like that.
    I had one a while back that weighed 7# scoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Less so than a caliber (all that you have has it covered) to me it's more that you have a gun that is light enough and fast handling enough that you will actually carry it when fishing or mucking around in bear/spring moose country. Whether that's a big pistol, a shotgun, a LA 45.70, or your bolt 7mm.......no difference as long as it's comfortable enough that you actually take it with you.

or just sell all of them...pick up or build the best 375H&H you can afford...load 250 gr Barnes TX...put a top quality hunting scope (say a Leuy 1.5X6 or something along those lines)...figure out how to get say a 1000 rounds of 375H&H loaded...and quit trying to invent elegant solutions to a non-existent problem.

You will never be undergunned..or over gunned.

I forgot 2.

Savage 99 in .308 and a K31 swiss - LOL.
    Yup I think I need to sell a few as I am starting to forget what I actually have.

All I need to do to set up a 375 magnum is have a 375 Ruger savage barrel made and screw it on.
    Last 375 Ruger barrel I had set up on this action was nice and I regretted selling the barrel but I really prefer SS anyway and it was a blued barrel.

I had it loaded up with 270 GR TTSX bullets.

I really like the 6.5x55 Mauser a lot. Enough that I am thinking about setting one up for my daughter.

Have not warmed up to the K31 swiss yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    or just sell all of them...pick up or build the best 375H&H you can afford...load 250 gr Barnes TX...put a top quality hunting scope (say a Leuy 1.5X6 or something along those lines)...figure out how to get say a 1000 rounds of 375H&H loaded...and quit trying to invent elegant solutions to a non-existent problem.

You will never be undergunned..or over gunned.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

IMO, most of those Center fires are adequate, for hunting in the Greatland.

Maybe you should pick one and another one for backup, and peddle the rest, to pay for the 1st years hunting expenses.

Most people, those who don't fly-in, or can afford Guided Hunts, have Wheelers, or some kinda ORV, or a boat, and trailers to drag them on the road system, and park at the trailheads with everybody else and his brother.

Almost certainly, that will be a bigger issue than which cartridge rifle, you will use. There is really a LOT more to it than your rifle choice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    8mm Mauser Tanker
    Never seen one of those. Pics?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

44 mag but will probably sell it and buy a 454 or a 460.
    No! The 44Mag is the ideal woodland defense handgun in Alaska. Feel free to add the others, but do NOT get rid of your 44!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I like the 35 caliber best. Lots of different bullets available.

Depends on your preference. Do you WANT to just have one or two guns or do you like having a bunch to play with? If you are looking to downsize and reorganize your library, then go for it. If you looking to have just one gun and need to buy ammo, then get a 30-06.

The 9.3 will kill anything with authority, so long as you are comfortable with it. Loads of people hunt with the 7mm and 308 for everything too, except maybe the big bears. As said before, you will like having a gun that is water proof and rugged if you can. Also, one that is handy to carry through thick brush. If you think you might be climbing mountains for bears, sheep and goats, then a lightweight rifle may be on the ticket in just about any cartridge you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    No! The 44Mag is the ideal woodland defense handgun in Alaska. Feel free to add the others, but do NOT get rid of your 44!
    Yea 44mag is a good choice . . . but ideal? It's no more ideal than a long list of other rounds are, and less than a handful of others like say 45 Colt or 480 Ruger. The very idea people get that 44mag is somehow magically more wonderful than something not used by Dirty Harry is why I own over 50 handguns and none are in almost .33 caliber.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I like the 35 caliber best. Lots of different bullets available.
    Another 35 fan here, hunt moose with a 358 Winchester or 35 Whelen and your hooked.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Depending on the size of the .44 mag- it is a great caliber and able to shoot lesser or hotter loads depending on the make/model. I like a 3-5 inch barrel for carrying in the woods. I have to say- if I were coming here I would keep the .270 Weatherby. Great flat shooting round that would be hard to beat for bou/sheep/goats/blackies and moose too. Regarding a moose caliber- I have never heard anything negative about the 9.6. Heck- bring all of them and sort things out when you get here! All you need is one........MORE!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My perception is that 44 Mag. is a good choice for the average Joe. It's easy to find. Easy to find ammo, and handloading components for, and easy to handload. Lotsa 44 Mag stuff out there. It's a very practical cartridge. (IF, the barrel isn't too short like the ones we see, of late.)

I think you could make the case that the 45 (LONG???) Colt is better, but perhaps not, in the above ways. I think anything beeger than that is just a lot more noise, muzzle blast and recoil, and unnecessary.

I agree with JOAT, in that one should go ahead and try the monstrosities, if that's your bag, but hang onto your 44, cuz you may be goin BACK to it.

Dirty Harry was using 44 Specials in his "Most Powerful Handgun in the World". So the idea of Awesome Power, doesn't really compute.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    My perception is that 44 Mag. is a good choice for the average Joe. It's easy to find. Easy to find ammo, and handloading components for, and easy to handload. Lotsa 44 Mag stuff out there. It's a very practical cartridge. (IF, the barrel isn't too short like the ones we see, of late.)

I think you could make the case that the 45 (LONG???) Colt is better, but perhaps not, in the above ways. I think anything beeger than that is just a lot more noise, muzzle blast and recoil, and unnecessary.

I agree with JOAT, in that one should go ahead and try the monstrosities, if that's your bag, but hang onto your 44, cuz you may be goin BACK to it.

Dirty Harry was using 44 Specials in his "Most Powerful Handgun in the World". So the idea of Awesome Power, doesn't really compute.

Smitty of the North
    Totally agree with you and JOAT, while I'd like to own a .454, the .44 is the most practical gun for ME because of its combination of weight, power, commonality/availability of ammo/reloading components and size. There is very few places I go that my .44 doesn't!

The 454 in a FA Premier 6" barrel and using the original micarta grips is a ***** cat to shoot and will kill/stop anything that still walks around North America.Match it up with Garretts or other heavy bullet loads and it will shoot through any animal...once the shooter learns/knows how to shoot a big bore revolver.

Considering a move to AK.
    When I moved to AK back in the 1970's I got all sorts of advice. Sell this and buy that. I took the advice. And I've been kicking myself ever since. Sold stuff I should have kept and bought stuff that turned out darned near useless for me and the way I ended up hunting.

Here's the way I should have done it:

Don't sell a darned thing before moving. Wait till you get up here and use them a few years, and see what works best for you.

Buy what you want now, but save the jingle to buy a couple more up here. The new ones might or might not suit you once you arrive, but you can be darned sure that no matter what's already in your rack, you're likely to want more juzz cuzz.

Your list is plenty comprehensive now. But that's never a good reason to sell or to buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast