Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought my first Savage!

Default I bought my first Savage!

Never thought i would see the day that I would own a Savage period. Do now, a new Savage 116 .375 Ruger that I was propositioned to buy for $300 bucks. Along with a box minus 2 rounds of Hornady 300 grn. and a sling I will give away thought what the heck. Always room for another rifle but it is fairly light and with a cheesy plastic stock and what appears to be a Williams rear and the Accutrigger. This fella bought it and fired off 2 rounds and gave up, funny! Seems like it is a smooth push feed and the mag well holds 3 straight, tried to add a round on top to feed chamber but did not seem possible. Clue me in on the overall reliability, that pinned bolt face seems really different and questionable. I took a look at the trigger and that don't look tough either. Have not fired off a round thus far, just made my observations. I've shot the .375 Ruger with the Hogue a few years back like 17 rounds straight, a stout round for sure. Appears to be just a simple boat gun or perhaps the only moose and grizz gun I will ever need. Doubt it will ever replace my pre-64 .375 21" bbl so point out for me what I should expect down the road. Appreciate any note worthy praise or ........

Like a lot here, I am not a Savage fan either, BUT, the dog gone rifles do shoot well! The wife has a Savage MD 116 in 338 Winchester Mag that she likes and has had it for many years. The rifle shoots well and do not shift point of impact. I think that you will be surprised on how well the Savage rifle will handle.

Face it; you've been savaged.

Think you are right, day three and I'm okay, rifle okay. It has prospect, could be Savaged,buying brass and dies. Shoots and handles quite well.

So after short ownership I got rid of It! Traded it back for my Model 70 WSM 7mm with the Minox scope and....a used Model 700 aught six that I can rebuild and rust blue etc....I have close 500 rounds of WSM brass. It's all good! Whew! Lesson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    ... It's all good! Whew! Lesson learned!
    The lesson being?
    If you thought you'd have something similar to a Model 70 in buying a bolt Savage... well, that is where you made your mistake. Savage bolt rifles have always been plain-jane, but accurate, get-it-done rifles.

lol.....I posted of my joy in that after "realization" set in that the rifle so departed is gone. My joy is elsewhere. I've enough Mauser 98's here, Win. Model 70's to know where my heart is at. Your analogy of what you believe is "plain-Jane"differs than mine. It's all good friend, I'm gonna keep on shooting and hunting with what I like. Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    lol.....I posted of my joy in that after "realization" set in that the rifle so departed is gone. My joy is elsewhere. I've enough Mauser 98's here, Win. Model 70's to know where my heart is at. Your analogy of what you believe is "plain-Jane"differs than mine. It's all good friend, I'm gonna keep on shooting and hunting with what I like. Have a good day.
    As everybody well should! As someone once said, "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle.".
    Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers! Just curious as to what made you rethink the Savage, since looks obviously were not a factor in your deciding to dump it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Savage seems to be pretty good as far as I can tell. One thing I really like on the Savage BA is the safety on the tang.

I don't care for the AXIS model, but the (116, for example,) is great.

I don't think they are UGLY, although they've been called that in the PAST. They're no more ugly than 90% of the skinny stocked, rifles out there. Design wise, I dunno why the bolt head being floated or pinned on the end of the bolt, would be a problem. The lugs are what hold the pressure

What with their new Accutriggers, the Accustocks, and Specialty Models Savage rifles are now, more exciting than they were.

I'd love to have one, but I've got several rifles already. I might rather have a Vanguard though.

Here's a nice review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk_nFVUCJA8

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers! Just curious as to what made you rethink the Savage, since looks obviously were not a factor in your deciding to dump it.
    Feathers are fine thanks. Typing and saying is a different method. With all the firearms I own, that one in the following days began to feel like the ******* child pardon the term. Couldn't adopt it or put it under my wing, no sir just couldn't. Had initial hope but............am all good now!

Interesting. I've never understood why Savage got a bad rap among some folks. Obviously, I'm not going to equate them to a Winchester, but as Sayak said, they're very good, very accurate, utilitarian rifles. (AAAAAND...made in America.) I have an antiquated 110 that looks like it will go to my son. (Who will then promptly hock it at a pawn shop with all the others.)

I know it's not quite the same, but I have a Savage 1919NRA target 22 that will be passed on to a favored grand son someday. It's old and ugly but it shoots to well to try to replace in hopes of getting something that shoots better.

I have never been a big fan of the Savage rifle either. I have owned a few over the years but do not own any of them now. I had one several years ago in 7mm Rem Mag and it got stole from my house. I replaced it with a Mod. 70 Win. in 7mm Rem Mag and have been happy with it. The last one I owned was in 7MM STW and I just never got to like it much so I sold it. If I ever buy another one it will be at a bargin. I am very happy with my Remingtons, Winchesters, and Encores that I own now. I have also heard that the accu trigger is the weak link in the newer Savages. Anyone here had trouble with that trigger system?

This is kinda funny/interesting. I'm in the market for a new 30-06 and I've been asking around to a number of avid rifle shooters in the last couple months. After going down the list of current offerings from all the major brands with pluses and minuses, the consensus always ends with "buy a Savage". The absolute stay away from recommendation is Remington. Most other brands score in the "OK" middle ground, but Savage is getting the highest marks.

I didn't see a single specific negative issue brought up in this thread, but I'm really curious as to what exactly is not good about Savage?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    This is kinda funny/interesting. I'm in the market for a new 30-06 and I've been asking around to a number of avid rifle shooters in the last couple months. After going down the list of current offerings from all the major brands with pluses and minuses, the consensus always ends with "buy a Savage". The absolute stay away from recommendation is Remington. Most other brands score in the "OK" middle ground, but Savage is getting the highest marks.

I didn't see a single specific negative issue brought up in this thread, but I'm really curious as to what exactly is not good about Savage?
    I'm no gun nut, but I have had a Savage 116 in 338 since 2006 and it's taken all kinds of game, in lots of really cruddy weather and travel conditions, and it still goes boom and animals still go flop. It's accurate, it feeds well, the accutrigger has performed flawlessly for me and that's with plenty of rough field use. For me, it's a tool that I use to go hunting and I want it to perform, not dazzle. When I want to make love to my gun, I pull out my Henry or my Savage 99 and hunt with them. I don't really think BA guns are all that pretty as a whole so why try to put lipstick on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

That is my question also. The OP, said "Whew", an interjection which usually means something like, "Boy, I am so relieved to get out of that!". Savages, as I said, are often plain-jane, but they are effective and reliable tools in the woods. And BTW (and I'm gonna catch hell for this) ANY Savage bolt gun, no matter how plain, is way, way prettier than any AR clone. There, I said it.

I don't have a savage, but I doubt there is anything wrong with them. They just aren't the sexy choice, they don't cost an arm and a leg, and they don't weigh 4 1/2 pounds.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

And BTW (and I'm gonna catch hell for this) ANY Savage bolt gun, no matter how plain, is way, way prettier than any AR clone. There, I said it.
    You won't catch any hell from me.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You won't catch any hell from me.
    Yeah I know. Some people just think they are pretty as hell though. Suum quique.

And BTW (and I'm gonna catch hell for this) ANY Savage bolt gun, no matter how plain, is way, way prettier than any AR clone. There, I said it.
    I'd be in total agreement with that...

Savage got the ugly rap from that giant barrel nut they used to have. Just unsightly doesn't begin to describe...I had an old 110 in '06 and I've never had a homelier rifle that shot that good.

The new ones use a different style nut and recently that simple and effective barrel attachment has been copied by Ruger, Winchester, Marlin and others...

I picked my son up a Savage youth gun in lefty...it shoots good and didn't break the bank. His caribou didn't like it at all.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast