Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBER Winter hunt

Talking JBER Winter hunt

Here we are, 26 days into the hunt (I have hunted 20 of those days) and I had not seen one moose. Lots of sign, but warm weather then cold has made the ground like walking on Dorito Corn Chips with giant Clown shoes! Finally able to see my first moose this afternoon and wouldn't you believe it, she committed suicide 15 minutes later :-) Thanks to a 17 yard shot, quartering away, clean pass through (arrow bloody but in perfect condition). Double lung and expired in about 1-2 minutes, less than a 100 yards from my truck. Lots of fat on her and very healthy. Hanging in the garage at this time!

Oh, BTW, about Dec 18 or 19 I found a hunting knife in the road between 425 and 429. If you lost a knife, describe it (other than it being very dull) and I will return it.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Yes the weather has been strange. Congratulation on your success! Bow hunting is the best.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Congrats again Roger. Today is Day 27 with 3 more to go. I, like you have hunted 21 of those days (counting today). But I see a moose or two almost every day. But can't close the gap and the deal. Stalked, if you can call all the crunching of chips with my best clown shoes on, stalking a small bull with paddles an a 2 year old for 3 hrs and jumping a cow and 1.5 year old in the process yesterday morning. I was within 30-40 yds but couldn't see the bull at one point because the willows are so tall. Had my wife stay still the first 45 mins of the stalk and she could see both me and the bull. She said we were walking side by side before he decided he was going to take 5 steps on my one little "Doritos Chips/ Clown Shoe wearing" one. And now off I go for Day 27.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Congrats again Roger. Today is Day 27 with 3 more to go. I, like you have hunted 21 of those days (counting today). But I see a moose or two almost every day. But can't close the gap and the deal. Stalked, if you can call all the crunching of chips with my best clown shoes on, stalking a small bull with paddles an a 2 year old for 3 hrs and jumping a cow and 1.5 year old in the process yesterday morning. I was within 30-40 yds but couldn't see the bull at one point because the willows are so tall. Had my wife stay still the first 45 mins of the stalk and she could see both me and the bull. She said we were walking side by side before he decided he was going to take 5 steps on my one little "Doritos Chips/ Clown Shoe wearing" one. And now off I go for Day 27.
    I did the step, step, step, pause...over and over again. She just "froze"I tried to make sure there was at least one big tree between her face and mine, so we never had eye contact. When a jogger headed down the road, about 40-50 yards away, the jogger stopped running and walked slowly by. I think the cow watched her very closely and relaxed as the jogger went away. Advantage to me. At 17 yards (paced off afterwords) I spent 2 or three minutes trying to find a shooting solution with not much luck. I even got down on my knees at one point. It was a very narrow window to shoot through, with two trees, one on each side. I could not pass up on the perfect quartering away shot, no bone touched with the broadhead, entered back 1/3rd of ribs on one side and out 1/2"behind opposite scapula. Arrow went out the off side about 10 more yards and was point down, shaft upright in the snow. Big blood spray every 10 yards or so was super easy to follow on the white snow. A very memorable stalk that I will relive over and over :-) A perfect stalk. At the time I think all time stopped for me and I will have to ask my partner (waiting by the road) how long I took...I know he had time to call his son, thinking I had blown the shot, when he said to his son "he is drawing back" which stunned him. I had my breathing under control, settled my level perfect, grip perfect, simple release, then a big crack (ended up being a tree she broke in half while spinning away from me). I am so grateful for all the 3D shoots I have gone to over the years because without them I don't know what I would have done with a shot between two trees and I did not hesitate once I found my shooting lane.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Awesome Roger, way to get it done!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Awesome Roger, way to get it done!
    Jerry, I am always amazed at how clean an archery kill is. So much better, in all ways, to a bullet IMHO. I was hunting with a new partner and found I kept sharing stories of Pat and I know in spirit he was with me :-) He was my mentor and shared his philosophy of ethics...when the military Conservation cops showed up at the kill, I was excited to see them and share as I knew Pat would have been...the two young officiers shared my excitement and were pleased that I was happy to see them and not threatened...what a great day!

Congrats. Its been a tough year. I did get mine but we are still trying for my partner's. He did get in a stalk on a big bull but only closed to about 65 yards before he moved off in heavy cover.

I agree Roger, we just cleaned up two cow moose and the blood shot along the ribs was disappointing.

It's amazing the different treatment you get from the enforcement officers when you great them with a smile. I've only been checked a few times, and each time it's all gone smooth and we ended up chatting with them more than getting inspected. You can get some good intel from those guys too.

Roger, I like reading about your hunt. With two days left today was no different than the past 2 weeks. Saw 1 first thing
    this morning then one around 2:30. Couldn't close in even close to them. Snow got softby afternoon but when the sun came out I lost sight of the afternoon and never saw it again.

Jim, have you tried walking along the fenceline in the north section? That was going to be my next move. Drive out Roosevelt until you get to the fence and then park. You could go either way. Drive at no more than 5 MPH too. I shot mine at 2PM and have heard folks say that is when they are feeding. Good luck!

I had a new hunting partner this year and we had a great time. We are about the same age and have known each other about one year, but didn't know anything about each other's hunting history. We had a lot of time to talk too. The first thing he saw was that I was using a Mathews Switchback, and he laughed as he uses a Switchback XT. I use Beman ICS Hunters with a Muzzy 3-Blade while he uses the Thunderhead 3-Blade. So many similarities. I think we both really love our set ups and see no reason to go with newer. I am drawing 62-63# and getting a clean pass through on a moose, why would I "need" faster or heavier? I think/hope we can do a lot more hunting together in the future :-) Even cutting meat (processing) we did it similarly and at the same speed. I find I really like archery folks in general!

Last Night!!! Sauted mushrooms and onions over moose steak. Fresh grilled asparagus spears. Butternut squash with real butter. Life is good :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Last Night!!! Sauted mushrooms and onions over moose steak. Fresh grilled asparagus spears. Butternut squash with real butter. Life is good :-)
    Rub it in.. lol. Sounds good though minus the asparagus.

OK AKGrumpy, now that the season is over just where were you seeing moose every day? Seem most of us were lucky to see a couple all season. My partner and I hunted about 20 days and saw two, one of which I harvested. But I'm glad someone was seeing them as it gave others hope.

Just talked with the base F&G and looks like between archery and muzzleloaders there were a total of 14 moose taken. Most were from archery. Sounded like sound hardly soles hiked up high and nearly 5 miles in to find moose. I'm just too old to take on that kind of a climb let alone hauling a moose out that far. Lets hope this will make for a good population for the coming years. Good luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    OK AKGrumpy, now that the season is over just where were you seeing moose every day? Seem most of us were lucky to see a couple all season. My partner and I hunted about 20 days and saw two, one of which I harvested. But I'm glad someone was seeing them as it gave others hope.
    I hunted 425 the first 8 days and saw a cow and calf on day 1. They were on one side of the road 19 yards away. Crossed to my side at about 35 yds but I let her go.. My bad.. Then I moved to 418 in the willow fields at the start of Pole Line Rd. I chased the same moose almost every day for 2 weeks straight.. Someone else was on it yesterday when I got there but they let me set up in case it went away from them. It got away anyhow. They said when my truck turned onto the moose knew it a stopped eating and started looking for it. There were couple behind the bayonet course, saw several in the back field just below the NBC area.

I think 418 got a lot more attention this year than most since it was so noisy. I talked with you the second day up on the hill in 425. I was in the white camo. We hunted 425, 426, 428, 429, 418 ,412, 411. I got mine about 200 yards in off Bulldog in 425. It has been a pretty tough hunt this year. Well good luck on the drawing for next fall. Hope you are successful.

I think it did too. And the last week it got hard to hunt because so many people started driving around or screw up a stalk or following an animal. Oh well, we will have to see what the AC board does next month. And I remember talking to you.

So when is this AC Committee supposed to meet? I heard the last meeting broke down and board members resigned. Is there still time for them to vote before the the release of the drawing permits Feb 20th? I thought I saw on the BOG agenda ADFG won't vote to reinstate until March after the permits are already released.
    Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I think it did too. And the last week it got hard to hunt because so many people started driving around or screw up a stalk or following an animal. Oh well, we will have to see what the AC board does next month. And I remember talking to you.

Bump ~ anyone know the answer? I've looked at everything I could possibly find on Internet covering this subject [some really crazy stuff concerning some of the people involved] but couldn't tell you the next time Anchorage AC meets to vote on this to save my life. I believe the other folks with a stake in the action vote on January 28th and a vote to reinstate would trump the Anchorage committee. I'm just extremely curious and sine I harvested a moose on this permit this year, it won't affect me again until the 2016 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    So when is this AC Committee supposed to meet? I heard the last meeting broke down and board members resigned. Is there still time for them to vote before the the release of the drawing permits Feb 20th? I thought I saw on the BOG agenda ADFG won't vote to reinstate until March after the permits are already released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast