Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Air Services

Default Kodiak Air Services

I've been trading emails with Seahawk, Island Air Service, and Andrews for this springs bear hunt. I've had friends fly with Seahawk and Andrews but haven't heard much about Island Air. All seam to be pretty solid companies. Who is you favorite?

Andrews has more planes and if weather backs them up they seem to get their people out quicker.
    Kodiak is one of those unique places where everyone seems to do a great job. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I vote for Rolan and Seahawk, but as the above post mentions, ya can't really go wrong on Kodiak.

Don't overlook Kingfisher Aviation. We used them a few years back and were really pleased with their planes and their skilled service. They will be at the top of my list when we go back.

Kingfisher is one I hadn't heard of yet. I'll check them out.

I'm leaning towards one of the multi-plane operations for the reason Jake states above, ability to respond to weather or other type of delays. That's the only edge other operators might have over Seahawk.

I have only been out with Andrews but definitely recommend them; however, as with the rest I have heard good things about the remainder of the list.

Kingfisher has at least two planes, and if I trusted my geezer brain more, I'd say they have three.

I've flown with all of them, and can't lodge a single complaint against any.

I've flown frequently with Island, Servant, and Andrew Air during the last couple of years for pleasure and work. I've also flown with Seahawk air for a remote hunt in the past. I've flown the most with Island Air and have always been impressed with their machines, front office, and flying abilities. Andrew Air was always very good as well. I believe their planes are more enjoyable to ride in as you are given a radio headset and can communicate with the pilot. Andrew and Seahawk may be able to get to you faster given they don't have any scheduled flights for the mail or village travel. I flew for my hunt with Seahawk because I felt they were the most cost effective.
    There are two new services as well that were not operating back when I flew with Seahawk.

http://vertigoflyer.com/Charters.html The pilot here flew for the Island and Andrew at one point in time before striking off on his own.
    North River Air: Another local who operates his own business.

I've used Andrew's the last couple years and had great experiences. Both times we tagged out early and wanted out of the field earlier than scheduled and both times they were able to get us out the next day. Also not sure if all the carriers offer this service or if you are flying or taking your own vehicle on the ferry but Andrews picked us up from the airport and ran us all over town to eat and get some last minute items at no extra cost and with no hassle.

And then there is Harvey Flying service for a unique experience in a WWII era Gruman Widjeon

http://www.harveyflyingservice.com/

I always forget about Harvey Air Service. From the folks that I know who have flown on that Grumman, it was a great experience!

I haven't really heard any negative comments about any of the operations on Kodiak. I personnally have only used Andrew's and Island. Recently I've been using Island Air ( 4 flights over the last 3 years). Bob, Island Air, flew use out 3 years ago and we kind of clicked, so I've been using his service ever since. I have also heard very good things about Roland (Seahawk) and met him earlier this year. He seemed like a really nice guy and obviously has many years of experience flying the island. I think they all charge about the same so no real big difference there. Also, if you fly with Island using his Beaver, but are light enough for a 206 load, he'll just charge you the price of a 206. I think I heard that Roland will do that also.

I was told by the former head pilot of Island that if you arranged it in advance they might be able to cut you a deal if you go close to one of their scheduled float flights.

AK Wonderer, what unit did you draw? We'll be using Seahawk again come the end of April for a Terror Bay brown bear hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    AK Wonderer, what unit did you draw? We'll be using Seahawk again come the end of April for a Terror Bay brown bear hunt.
    My partner and I are going to DB251, which is the Spiridon Lake area. I had the cabin at Little River Lake reserved only to get a call a couple a couple weeks later telling me that the cabin had burned down.

Seahawk and Island both will reduce their Beaver rates down to a 206 rate for lighter loads. I did call Kingfisher today and got a charter price. Everyone's rates are nearly identical. I talked to Island Air last spring at the Sportsman's Show and got a 5% show discount which they said they were happy to still honor. At this point it may just come down to who has availability on the dates I want.

I think I can lend an opinion here. I've flown with all the mentioned pilots many times. All of them are very professional. Andrew Air... I've flown with Dean, Steve, Scooter, Mark, Chris (at Servant now) and each one is someone you can trust and depend on. Dean bends over backwards for our company (KRAA). Seahawk... Roland is a quiet, friendly guy who has many years behind his belt and knows the islands very, very well. He's an excellent pilot. Island Air....I've flown with Peter and Eric and both have a great skills. Peter has taken me on his mail route and answered all my questions about flying a beaver. He's good at reading the wind on the water. He even showed me some mild maneuvers. I once saw him land in our bay in some bad gusts. I ask him if he puckered up on the landing. He just said "wern't nuthin". Vertgo Air...Jay Wattum is a very, very skilled pilot. His Dad taught him and his twin Keller how to fly before they could legally drive a car. He's a funny SOB too! Speaking of his twin Keller, I don't have his number handy but he has a 206 and could fly you for a lot less than a Beaver. Harvey...I've met him when he brought some bear viewers to our bay. Pretty impressive to see a big plane like a Gruman fly in and just "fly" up onto your beach.
    I'd flip a coin. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Kingfisher is one I hadn't heard of yet. I'll check them out.

I'm leaning towards one of the multi-plane operations for the reason Jake states above, ability to respond to weather or other type of delays. That's the only edge other operators might have over Seahawk.
    I wouldn't worry about how many planes each company has. They all scratch each other's backs. We might expect Andrews one day but Vertigo, Island or Seahawk might show up. They all make sure each other gets their customers to where they're going. It seems like they all get along really well too.

I have flown with Roland at Sea Hawk the last two years. Top notch service and great people. They will go above and beyond to accommodate your needs.

We have flown with Roland at Seahawk for a half dozen trips or so over the years and could'nt ask for better service.
    Like Longbow said they all try to cover each other to achieve the best end result for the clients. We have had experience with this (one time) also.

Like the others have said, don't get hungup on the number of planes. I use Roland exclusively and have always been very pleased. I used him this last May for my bear hunt. I called Jo on the morning scheduled for extraction to give her a weather report and was told someone else will probably pick me up. I was in a tide critical area with a small window of high tide. Seemed the Beaver blew a pot and Roland was in the middle of changing it out. Sure enough, high tide came and a different plane picked us up. All taken care of by Jo.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast