Thread: Kryptek Gear Vs. Kuiu Gear

Default Kryptek Gear Vs. Kuiu Gear

Anyone running Kryptek Gear? I am in the market for a full new system of camo to hunt Unit 23 above arctic circle September October time frame. With Kuiu being insanely backordered right now I am wondering if its worth it to hope and wait or go the kryptek route. Any opinions on specific gear would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Might look at first light gear or just go with some fleece layers from cabelas. Aside from merino wool I've yet to see any gear that rivals what fleece can do.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I really like the Kryptek that I have - pants, shirts, hoodies. Haven't tried the raingear.
    Kuiu is highly regarded, but I can't speak from experience. Guess that doesn't matter if you can't get it.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Bought a full kryptek set this summer. I have a lightweight and medium weight set and a vest for when it's gets a little colder. Hunted 10days on Kodiak last fall, really enjoyed it and the rain gear was phenomenal. I've worn the vest and jacket ice fishing in the interior and I stayed comfy the whe time. I would defiantly recommend it to anyone. But if you get it from sportsmans be careful because they stock the killik gear next to the real stuff. It looks the same but isn't the same quality craftsmanship.

Was the rain gear quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
    Was the rain gear quiet?
    yes I was surprised how quiet it was for rain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonp2 View Post
    yes I was surprised how quiet it was for rain gear.
    Perfect! I guess Kryptek wins the day.

I can't say enough how phenomenal my KUIU gear has performed. The Yukon jacket may be the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever owned. Their merino layers are awesome. I just ordered some super down stuff, but I hear its fantastic as well. My vote would be for Kuiu.

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    I can't say enough how phenomenal my KUIU gear has performed. The Yukon jacket may be the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever owned. Their merino layers are awesome. I just ordered some super down stuff, but I hear its fantastic as well. My vote would be for Kuiu.
    everything i have from kuiu is of the highest quality. The guide jacket and pants are incredible. My attack pants are the best piece of hunting clothing I own.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

+1. Also a big fan of Kuiu. Anyone try the boots, sleeping bag or tent yet? If so, would like to hear what you guys think of them.

The Kuiu Chugach rain gear is pretty much magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    +1. Also a big fan of Kuiu. Anyone try the boots, sleeping bag or tent yet? If so, would like to hear what you guys think of them.
    I have backpacked a couple times this winter with the KUIU 0 deg. Super Down bag. I can't imagine anything being warmer at 2-1/2 lbs. It has incredible loft, even after being compressed in a stuff sack. I have another 0 deg. down bag, and there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    everything i have from kuiu is of the highest quality. The guide jacket and pants are incredible. My attack pants are the best piece of hunting clothing I own.
    Oops, mean the chugach nx pants and jacket. Dont own the guide.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    What he said. And if weight is one of your concerns, KUIU cannot be beat.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

KUIU - no question. I spent 10 days in the wake of Hurricane Nuri on Kodiak island. KUIU Yukon gear kept me and my hunting partner dry. If you need more proof of quality than that... you don't hunt.

I own both,, Kuiu is higher quality and lighter in weight. The only down side is that their sizing runs athletic, Kyrptek seems to be sized the same as military sizes, I believe this comes from them targeting the military market, so at 34x30 the med is too tight and the large too big. The materials Kryptek uses IMHO is not as high a quality as Kuiu. I do really like the Highlander pattern as it blends in very well in both the tundra and shale. Kryptek is more available than Kuiu. I have yet to wear out any of my Kuiu gear and I have been wearing it since the company started selling.

The Kuiu Super Down is very warm and the waterproof down resist getting wet very well. The Guide pants are some of the best I have found as the 4 way stretch makes climbing much easier. The Chugach rain gear is also the best rain gear I have found and I own sets from Sitka and Kryptek.

Similar quality and products can be bought from companies such as Arc'teryx, Patagonia, North Face and other mountaineering companies if camo is not important.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm a big KUIU fan, and like some others here I've been wearing it pretty much since they first got started. I originally started with Sitka, but progressively switched over time to KUIU primarily due to better quality for less money. I've got alot of their stuff and wear the heck out of it in our wonderful and challenging state. I've seldom been disappointed.

I also tried a few Kryptek products as I was moving away from Sitka. The Kryptek stuff doesn't fit me as well as KUIU's athletic fit, e.g., the neck is too small and arms are a bit too long for me...but that's just me.

I dont want to hijack the thread, but just curious if the KUIU Yukon jacket is too warm for most applications? Is the chugach a more versatile system?

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishtrap247 View Post
    I dont want to hijack the thread, but just curious if the KUIU Yukon jacket is too warm for most applications? Is the chugach a more versatile system?
    I believe it comes down to personal preference, I much prefer the single layer rain gear over the heavier 3 layer style. The 3 layer style gear is warmer, but is heavier and takes longer to dry. I would rather use the single layer rain gear and wear a insulating layer under it. I can use my Chugach jacket with my Super Down puffy under it and the combined weight is about the same as a Yukon jacket, this gives me 2 items that can be used separately for the same weight. Also the single layer does not hold heat in as bad when you are exerting yourself causing sweating as bad as the thicker 3 layer stuff does. YMMV
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a few pieces from Kryptek and a lot of Kuiu gear. I agree with Stid 100% on what he said. Kuiu has the clothing technology and features pretty much nailed down for mountain hunting. The gear is athletic fitting like mentioned, so if you prefer a "baggier" fitting gear, Kuiu might not be your favorite. I haven't wore out any of my Kuiu gear yet, but some of it is semi-fragile, due to the extreme light weight of it. The SuperDown gear is a great layering item, or camp layer, but nothing you'd want to wear busting through Alders. The new Ultra 125 merino wool stuff is very nice, but fragile as well and can easily snag holes or wear holes in it if your backpack is rubbing against it and something hard. Getting Kuiu gear on the other hand can be a challenge at times if you want it in a hurry. They are backordered a lot of times on certain items. So.....if you think you need a Kuiu piece of gear for a hunt, plan ahead and order way in advance.