Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent- 2-3 man, high winds

Default Tent- 2-3 man, high winds

Looking for recommendations on a tent with this criteria;
    #1 must be able to handle high winds[say 50+/- mph] with plenty of guyouts, 2-3 man, prefer it on the longer side as I'm tall, double wall with bug screen, trying to keep it under $600, and 8-10#.

I was thinking Hilleberg but it looks like they are closer to $850-$1,000. I've heard good things about the Terra Nova but have never even seen one in person. I have 3 seasons, others etc............. this criteria works for my upcoming hunt and a niche i don't own. What have you seen that works for this?
    “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ― Aristotle
    “I'm not young enough to know everything.” ― J.M. Barrie

Keep an eye on Campmor.com. They periodically have closeouts on prior year models at substantial savings - Northface and Marmot 4 season tents come to mind. Get a 3 man, plan on 10lbs.

Also don't forget eBay.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

If you're in the Anchorage area, Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking carries a model or two of the Terra Nova tents. A couple seasons ago, they helped me set one up at their shop so I could take a look at it.

Few years back, I spent a week in a North Face Mountain 25. Very solid tent.

If you can wait until the spring Sportsman's Show the first of April, Barney's Sports Chalet usually runs a sale on Hilleberg. Can't remember if it's 10% or 15% off. Still going to be on the high side of what your looking to spend though. I bought a Nallo 3 from them two years ago. The Nallo doesn't fit the 4-season conditions you are looking for but I can say that the quality of Hilleberg is excellent.

KUIU? Not sure about wind performance, but they look pretty good (and light) to me!

My family has used North face tents for many years. Never had one blow down. Used them on sheep and goat hunts. Deer hunt in the mountains of Idaho in the middle of winter. In open country on caribou hunts.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I like the Kifaru Maga Tarp. It's a floorless bivvy shelter but low and long with a gear cache area. It's held up in some strong Kodiak winds. But...it's floorless, so....

oh yeah, weighs under 2-lbs with stakes. Use trekking poles or sticks for pole support.

Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 fits your criteria. I bought this tent after spending a night in a tent on the outer coast near Elfin Cove in in a snow storm that dumped 3 feet and collapsed our tent 3 times. The Trango 3.1 is a 3 person very sturdy and bomb proof tent. I like mine, but it weighs a bit more than 2 lbs

Sobie2

I've got an older Northface that is 2-3 man and it is really bombproof, but it weighs closer to 15 lbs. We have recently got into Tarptents. One is the Scarp 2 for the wife and with the optional crossing poles I think it's going to handle a lot of our needs. Just got a Moment DW which is going to be my back packing 1 person tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 fits your criteria. I bought this tent after spending a night in a tent on the outer coast near Elfin Cove in in a snow storm that dumped 3 feet and collapsed our tent 3 times. The Trango 3.1 is a 3 person very sturdy and bomb proof tent. I like mine, but it weighs a bit more than 2 lbs

Sobie2
    Have one and totally agree.

You could also look at the North Face Mountain 25 and VE-25. I have the VE-25 and it is bulletproof, but heavy.

Marmot Thor 3p: about $500-$600; 6 aluminum poles; 37 guys lines; about 10 lbs. A number of people have used them on Everest expeditions. Here's my initial review: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t-Thor-3P-Tent

I used it in SW Alaska in Sept. with continuous 40-60mph winds and rain. It didn't budge. You can barely see it here:

I've had the North Face Mountain 25 for several years. It is bomb-proof in the wind, and completely dry in the blowing rain and snow...no let downs. Lived in it for three weeks this last Sept-October in western Alaska on a moose and brown bear hunt, and I was very comfortable. All of that said, I was in it on my own...not sharing with anyone. If it was me and a hunting partner (other than family), I'd find it too small for that length of time. It's also kind of heavy at 10 lbs+/-, but just fine if I'm not carrying it in a backpack.

I have a both a Northface VE-25 and Mountain 25. Both are solid tents, but for any length of time I would only use the Mountain 25 for 1 person. I end up using the VE-25 much more. Both purchased as closeouts from Campmor.

As far as floorless, I am disagreeing with Larry. Woke up in the middle of the night last year on Kodiak when our normal camping spot was in the middle of a lake. We were dry inside the VE-25. Not sure how much rain we got that night, but my jetboil was overflowing in the morning. The VE-25 survived the night, including the nighttime relocation to a hillside. The group on a neighboring lake needed a Coast Guard rescue in the morning after losing their 6 man tent to the wind and getting soaked.

You can snag a Marmot Thor 3P off eBay right now for $475 obo, with free shipping.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I have owned a Wild Country (Same as Terra Nova) tent for years and they are bomb proof. Barneys used to carry them. I also own the NF VE-25 and it is a solid tent. Last spring I bought a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT to save some weight. Barneys had a 10% off at the Sportsmans show. These are all great tents but it depends on how you will use them.

I have the Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3 and it has been great. I have experienced winds up to around 35-40mph and it handled very well. We had hot days and freezing days on my 8 day sheep hunt two years ago, and we were comfortable every night. They are under $300, which is one of the reasons I chose it. It is about 7 pounds packed with rope and tent stakes. It is very roomy for two, and will work for me and both my daughters if it is just the three of us.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/drif...ationColor=314

Some great suggestions- thanks guys...I knew you guys would be the best source for quality info.
    “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ― Aristotle
    “I'm not young enough to know everything.” ― J.M. Barrie

Something else to keep in mind is how you set up any tent for wind. If possible rock your tent. Put out all the guyouts and put rocks on them. If you are on the tundra, sand, or other places where rocks are not available then plan a head and bring longer 10 -12" stakes. Attaching guyouts to willow or alder brush also helps keep the tent from blowing down or blowing away.

Quote Originally Posted by beendare View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a tent with this criteria;
    #1 must be able to handle high winds[say 50+/- mph] with plenty of guyouts, 2-3 man, prefer it on the longer side as I'm tall, double wall with bug screen, trying to keep it under $600, and 8-10#.

I was thinking Hilleberg but it looks like they are closer to $850-$1,000. I've heard good things about the Terra Nova but have never even seen one in person. I have 3 seasons, others etc............. this criteria works for my upcoming hunt and a niche i don't own. What have you seen that works for this?
    I have 2 Hilleberg tents (Kaitum and Jannu) ... I would be willing to sell you the Kaitum 3 for $600. Just let me know. It's been used, but it's in great shape and it meets every criteria you have. PM me if interested.

I have been very happy with my Mountain Hardware Trango 2 (they also make a trango 3). The T-2 fits two people, but if you want room for your gear you might want the T-3. They aren't very light weight but they are great in the wind. I've been in mine on Adak during a couple of 70mph winds of many hours duration, the tent hardly even rattled. The cost a few years ago was about $425.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast