Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Handi Rifle are the shiznutz!

Default H&R Handi Rifle are the shiznutz!

Anyone else besides me have a thing for these once shooters? I like the older SB2s with the schnabled for end. They are plain and very utilitarian but I have as much faith in them as the high dollar guns in my cabinet!

Had one in .243 and knocked down 3 caribou at 300 yards with it. Easy carrying gun. Still have the Survivor model in 30/30 hanging around in the gun case.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've got a 270 that sprays and prays......wanna buy it? I'll make you a deal.

The only ammo I can get decent groups off of are round nose 170's......it has dust on it. I have however shot several animals with it, including my first moose.....but every shot's been under 80 yards.

I find it heavy, tough to sling, and the lack open sights makes it a paperweight to me.

However I have heard from many others how much they enjoy them......I would like to sell mine to pay for a cerakote job on my 99.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find a deal on one. Most I've seen used people are asking near new price so I've never pulled the trigger, but I like the idea!

I have one with 22KH barrel and a 30/30/barrel. The 30/30 will shoot cast boolits at about 1 1/2" at 100yds. The 22KH under 2" easy with cast. I like them fine.

I've had a couple. The last one was a .223 that I carried on the 4 wheeler while running my trap line. It was about shot out and a guy wanted to buy it. I replaced it with a Remington 700 in 22-250. I would have to get a real deal before I would be interested in another one.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find a deal on one. Most I've seen used people are asking near new price so I've never pulled the trigger, but I like the idea!
    Wanna buya 270? I don't tinker with loads enough to really figure out what it likes but I"m sure the thing will shoot in the right hands, I've just gone a different direction in my interests.......it will definitely be less than new and I'd love to see it in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

PM me what a deal is and what I could do to get it to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Wanna buya 270? I don't tinker with loads enough to really figure out what it likes but I"m sure the thing will shoot in the right hands, I've just gone a different direction in my interests.......it will definitely be less than new and I'd love to see it in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

Does it have the schnable on the for end. I just obtained a couple more H&Rs recently now I have 3 and they all have the schnable.
    I have a 44 mag, a 30-30 and a 45-70. A 270 could be turned into 35 W helen and I would like one of those.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:
    Are you speakin that Alien Dialect, that only Smokey understands again?

I have one of those shiz thingys. An H&R, chambered for Thirdy-Thirdy. It's kinda special in that it has a Mannlicher stock. (The forend is barrel length.)

It's accurate, more so than my LA 30-30s, with jacketed bullets and cast bullets.

I shoot it regularly when it's not BROKE, It broke on me TWICE. The 1st time the Transfer Bar was busted.

I sent it to an H&R warranty place, and I got it back MONTHS later, In the meantime, when I would call, they wouldn't; know where it was.

2nd time, the Firing Pin was broken. Andy fixed it that time replacing the Firing Pin with one for a Shootgun, as that appeared to be STRONGER.

It also exhibits a Light Primer Strike on rare occasions, so for the cast bullet shooting, I use CCI Large Pistol primers. I've heard that the LPSs are characteristric of the H&Rs, but I dunno.

It's a fine LOOKER after I replaced the crappy old wood Butt stock with one from CHOATE, and Andy painted it and the Forend to match.

I can't say it's a shiznutz, since I don't know that is. Mine is more like a PITA, or a POS, but then I've enjoyed it. The "challenge" anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Where did the Idea that used should be cheaper.....??? Does a firearms need to "LOOK" all pretty and new.....??? New firearms have no character, no proven track records. You should pay extra for used, someone took the time and energy to make sure it works.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Where did the Idea that used should be cheaper.....??? Does a firearms need to "LOOK" all pretty and new.....??? New firearms have no character, no proven track records. You should pay extra for used, someone took the time and energy to make sure it works.
    Or they are unloading it because it is a POS.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Or they are unloading it because it is a POS.
    That cracks me up.

Apparently, AGL4now's theory is shared by many of the Vendors at Alaska Gunshows. There's a big'un coming up this month. See if I'm not right.

"All the Serial Numbers Match". "They don't make them anymore".

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default H&R Handi Rifle are the shiznutz!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    No warranty, unknown use and maintenance history and most importantly market demand set the price for used guns, in the case of an H&R, demand is spotty at best, their track records are spotty. I didn't say one can't be sold for new price, I said I won't buy a used one for a new price.

To answer your question more directly the idea came out my head...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are forums out there that directly deal with H&R accuracy problems. You can even get in on chamber reamer programs such as re-chambering the .357 barrels to .357 maximum or the .44 mag to .445 Supermag. I have gotten in on a couple for Contender re-chambering.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

No warranty, unknown use and maintenance history and most importantly market demand set the price for used guns, in the case of an H&R, demand is spotty at best, their track records are spotty. I didn't say one can't be sold for new price, I said I won't buy a used one for a new price.

To answer your question more directly the idea came out my head...

Right. I got mine at a Gunshow, and it already had a Weaver Style scope base.

Most of them are not attractive enough to command the New Price.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I paid $149.99 for most of mine New........ Some were $139.99 New, Good used ones were $75.00 to $99.00.........They should be worth $50.00 to $75.00 now. I like the sets where you get two barrels and one receiver.

I like them and the SB2 frame will handle most anything.You can fit lots of barrels to a action and cover anything.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Catch it:

Stick a price on it you think it's worth and let's see what happens. I've been wanting to get one for a barrel stub project if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post

I appreciate the offer but I just bought a BA .270 a couple months back and I don't want to catch the wrath of the wife for having two of the "same" gun!

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Catch it:

Stick a price on it you think it's worth and let's see what happens. I've been wanting to get one for a barrel stub project if the price is right.
    I don't really know what a good deal is.....Gun broker has none less than 200........but shipping is just gonna mess with any savings for most folks since I"m in Juneau......callit $175 and I'm open to offers. IF this was going to a kid or young shooter.....I could be even more flexible. Hardly a mark on it, maybe 60 rounds through it and perhaps 10 days in the field.

And you could have any random ammo I have around.....perhaps a box and a half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast