Thread: Do you start your own seeds indoors and, if so, how?

Default Do you start your own seeds indoors and, if so, how?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes. I start mine in mid April or so. I start each seed in a seed tray - about 2" diameter and 3" deep soil for each. After a couple of weeks I transplant them to 4" pots where they grow until ready to go outside. I do mine under fluorescent lights for 18 hours a day with a 6 hour dark period. A week before moving them outside I harden them off by placing them outdoors in the shade for a couple of days, indoors at night, and then gradually increasing the time they're exposed to dappled and thereafter direct sunlight.

I've only been gardening for ~4 years, but I've found that starting your own seeds is actually really easy. I've not had to buy starts at all.

One thing I would add to Brian's method is that I use warming mats when starting them. I start in soil or peat pots. Some of my planters I will plant directly into the planter, skipping the trays.
    Part of the joy of gardening is seeing what works...and then it does!

Some I start in cups...some peat pots get put in cups.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Do you use lights? And if so, what type? If you used 3" pots how many could you get under the system you use?

I have a hodge podge of lights. T5s and T8s in 4 (semi) permanent fixtures. If it gets cold I might fire up the 1000w metal halide. The lemons like that.

I never counted, but I could get 4 trays under each light, depending on fixture height. 12 pots per tray....couple hundred I guess. I have been that dumb before. When you graduate up to 3 or 5 gallon pots it gets crowded.

The high bay can drop down as can the brown T5 seen straight ahead (end view). The T8 on right is just a 2 bulb, but gets plenty of use as a fixed.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 01-13-2015 at 20:11. Reason: add picture
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

It's worth it.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it