Thread: Is a DUCE & HALF used for Hunting or is it all ATV's now....???

Default Is a DUCE & HALF used for Hunting or is it all ATV's now....???

Title say's it all.....

Is a Duce and a Half used for anything now days......???

I've hiked up Snow River to find a Duce. Kinda frustrating.

Many areas of the state have weight restrictions. Tracks across the tundra take years and years to recover. If yu fly over the slope or the Nulato Hills you can see tracks that were done almost 80 years ago.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I need to make a decision as to putting the chains back on plus giving it one more camo paint job and keep it for ever & ever. Or sell it if there is a market for it.

Got any pics. I love deuces, would love to have one some day.

Aren't there like ten of them on the east side of the New Seward, just north of Dimond - rusting away. Somebody's big surplus sales "get"?

North-East of Dowling and New Seward is Garry's. He buys a lot of them outside, fixes them up and sells them. He told me that a lot of them go to Set-net fishing sites, gold mines, and logging operations. His father started that business when Dowling Road was a dirt homesteader's trail. Moose Moore's homestead was near there, we used to shoot our rifles there, before it was part of Anchorage.

Moose Moore was an old Hunting Guide. He had two Black Bears there in a kennel. F&G wanted him to stick a thermal couple up their rectums while they were hibernating to learn their core temperature while hibernating., Moose declined, but said they were welcome to stick it up their butts. Bob Reeve owned the Capt. Cook Athletic Club and Moose was the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Aren't there like ten of them on the east side of the New Seward, just north of Dimond - rusting away. Somebody's big surplus sales "get"?

There's one for sale on Craigslist right now

That would make a dandy buggy.

I remember Moose Moore......good old guy!....shot a 7mm

Just to heavy and slow, i could think of several better options. People don't go on expedition style hunts much any more overland. If you can get there from the road it's a race no time for getting stuck or working on stuff gotta get home for work Monday.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Oh yeah, integral part of our success

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've seen folks returning from their hunt with two of them on a semi flatbed. The front truck had a Moose head tied to the hood.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

So he has 4 wheel drive for $9,800 and I have 10 wheels driving.....so mine must be worth $24,800.00

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    North-East of Dowling and New Seward is Garry's. He buys a lot of them outside, fixes them up and sells them. He told me that a lot of them go to Set-net fishing sites, gold mines, and logging operations. His father started that business when Dowling Road was a dirt homesteader's trail. Moose Moore's homestead was near there, we used to shoot our rifles there, before it was part of Anchorage.

Moose Moore was an old Hunting Guide. He had two Black Bears there in a kennel. F&G wanted him to stick a thermal couple up their rectums while they were hibernating to learn their core temperature while hibernating., Moose declined, but said they were welcome to stick it up their butts. Bob Reeve owned the Capt. Cook Athletic Club and Moose was the manager.
    Well that's a cool bit of history. Thanks!

I have seen several of them hunting unit 13.

They use them in Florida in the marsh to hunt hogs, shoot right off the back of the truck, while it's moving. Crazy. No 1st hand experience up here, but I would agree with others-pretty hard on the environment.

BTW, for folks who say they're too slow, if you pull the the forward facing drive shaft out, you'll get 5-6 mph more on the highway, which will be as fast as a 5 ton. (60 mph.) Also, if you get the older one with the "multi-fuel" engine in it (M35A2), DON'T run anything but D2 diesel. Yeah, it'll run, for a while on D2/JP4/K2/Alcholol/gasoline, but you'll be replacing the injector pump sooner rather than later. A lot sooner.

(63W Wheeled Vehicle Repairer 94-96)

Also, everyone calls them "deuce and a half" but that 2.5 ton rating is for off road use. They actually carry a 5 ton rating on the highway.

I heard that guy on Dowling is going out of business. (Friend of mine gave me a wrecked 1944 deuce (CCKW) that came from there. They're friends.)

Also, on that road you turn onto from C street to get into Cabela's, if you look to the right, there are several of the OLD CCKW's.

AGL depending on what you have and what configuration it's in, I might be interested in yours to replace the wrecked one...next year some time. I have a non-hunting use for one in mind.

I like those old trucks. The one I was assigned was a 1965 Kaiser Truck Company with a Lincoln Multi Fuel Engine. IIRC.