Thread: Anyone Running a new Mercury 4 stroke 115 Command Thrust?

Default Anyone Running a new Mercury 4 stroke 115 Command Thrust?

Just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone has run a boat rigged with the new Mercury 115 command thrust and if so, what did you think? I've got a new boat on order that comes in a package with a pair of them and they look pretty impressive. Thanks in advance for your replies.

60 views and no replies, I would say it's a safe bet I'm not the only one around here who is curious about this....

We have a Mercury dealer here in Homer, and I don't see many in the harbor. Sorry can't help.

Don't think they're open year round here in Homer but did read up on those, I think that's a great idea to have an option of 2 different gear cases; what's the boat they're going on?
    Anxious to hear fuel numbers.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Here is a link to a review done on the motors, i couldn't open it but the link may work for you.
    http://www.boattest.com/engine-revie...15_2015rel2500

I have ordered a new boat with twin Merc 150's. the dealer told me he has sold thousands of boats with these motors and has not had a single complaint on the engines. i have a 5 year factory warranty and have purchased an extra 2 years, so if there are any problems I should be covered. Our area is primarily Yamaha/Honda so Mercs don't get much attention. I see them running on the Kenai all the time and haven't heard anyone dissapointed with them. They seem to run fine, so I'm not worried. you should have a couple of great motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Don't think they're open year round here in Homer but did read up on those, I think that's a great idea to have an option of 2 different gear cases; what's the boat they're going on?
    Anxious to hear fuel numbers.
    Big Jim -- The boat I ordered is a Kingfisher Coastal Express 26...It's a newer design so I'm not sure if anyone else has seen or read much about them but I'll be sure to post the numbers when I take delivery and get her in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post
    Here is a link to a review done on the motors, i couldn't open it but the link may work for you.
    http://www.boattest.com/engine-revie...15_2015rel2500

I have ordered a new boat with twin Merc 150's. the dealer told me he has sold thousands of boats with these motors and has not had a single complaint on the engines. i have a 5 year factory warranty and have purchased an extra 2 years, so if there are any problems I should be covered. Our area is primarily Yamaha/Honda so Mercs don't get much attention. I see them running on the Kenai all the time and haven't heard anyone dissapointed with them. They seem to run fine, so I'm not worried. you should have a couple of great motors.
    Mykle -- Merc definitely has a good warranty going. I've been traditionally Yamaha and Etec so this will be new for me. I believe they will be good quality, I'm just hoping if the 115 CT performs as well as they say. If by chance they do crap out on me, at least BassPro in Anch is a Merc dealer and service center so I'll have a cool place to hang out
    Last edited by archertom; 01-12-2015 at 10:44. Reason: grammar

Nice place to wait for sure!! I'm a big Yamaha guy myself, this is my first foray into Merc's. Don't expect any issues, can't wait to get them!!

Mykle, what boat are you getting fixed up with?

tom, that looks like a decent ride! comparable in size & weight to a Hewes so performance numbers should be interesting as the std 115's does not offer overwhelming speed or torque. The different gear case of the Merc should make up for that. Does it come with standard props and what size/pitch are they? I'd get them to let you try out a bunch of different pitch's. The right props (and get another set different pitch to have as spares)
    can single-handedly make up for lack of horsepower.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Big Jim,

we haven't gotten to the fine details of the deal yet, boat won't be done until May. I really appreciate the advice on trying different props. I know the dealer down there is a big Merc dealer and have seen impressive results with that boat and motor configuration. I know they mentioned the inertia props however mercurys website says these are for larger hp motors so I don't know. Again though, I do appreciate the advice.

yeah I'm a fanatic about props; it's kind of a hobby actually
    Are you going to run stainless or aluminum? I have to run aluminum cause we run water taxi/beaching duties all the time but regardless I have 3 different pitched sets of props (twin motors) and I basically run 2 different pitches year round; summer time which is quite busy daily and heavy loads (6 passengers, camping/hiking gear, 3 kayaks up top, etc) full fuel I run 19" pitch props; that will let me get on step easily enough plus will allow pretty good return speed empty back to the harbor if running late. Winter time king fishing and general screwin around I run the 21" pitch set; those are simply awesome if the boat isn't loaded; I can cruise 200 rpm's less at a 2-3 kt faster cruising speed.
    I'd for sure iron out details on the dealer giving you different props to use to try. With your package being new to the market, experiment big time. I've not found a salesman or dealer that has adequate real world experience with all this; they base everything on "paper" and even the performance tests are not usually done out in the ocean, boat loaded, full fuel, with ALL the crap we end up with onboard, in crappy weather.
    Wooldridge & Bayweld (I've been on sea trials with them) do their homework but only you will be the final word on props.
    If I were to get another set I'd focus on a 4-blade 17-19" prop. We used to run 4 blade stainless props on a heavy 19' fiberglass boat in Hawaii semi-commercial fishing on twin High Thrust Yamaha 60's. Smooth, smooth, smooth and the torque of those motors was impressive; lots of deep in the trough trolling and not a lot of high speed running as it was generally too rough off Kauai to do over 22 kts.

I have ordered a 2825 Kingfisher. Get it in early March. Can't wait!!