Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One hook or two for mooching Silvers

Default One hook or two for mooching Silvers

How many hooks do you use on your mooching rigs for Silvers? What size hooks? Thanks for your help!

I typically use two hook set-ups like the Eagle Claw or Gamakatsu 4/0-5/0 mooching rigs with a blue label troll herring. Always seems to produce for silvers, at least in Seward lol

Double...4/5 or 5/6 on 40# leader.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Depends on what is the choice of the moment- herring or hoochies, large or small.

I've had the best luck with green tray herring deep (cutplug, two 3/0's, 30# PLine) or red tray shallow (whole, two 2/0, 20# PLine). I like a single 3/0 for smaller hoochies (bead in head of hoochie to set the hook back a little, 20# PLine) or a pair of 3/0 on 30# PLine for larger hoochies.

Especially when fishing shallow, we often mooch with streamer flies, typically tied about 3" long on a 1/0 hook, 20# PLine.

Reason I keep specifying PLine, it's a little stiffer and just works out best for us.

Another point is enuff- With herring we've pretty much switched over to sliding sinkers for silvers. Can't say 100% that it's increased our hookup rate, but it just seems "right" lately. I'm experimenting all the time, so could be I'm just trying to justify the latest flame. Time will tell.

How are you rigging and what kind of sliding sinker?

For mooching for silvers, I use 2 4/0 on about a 5 ft leader. Here's a pretty good video on tying double hook mooching rigs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0oZzk-T8hE.
    Hooks and line are a lot of personal preference. I use Gamakatsu hooks and 30# Berkley Big Game. I usually tie about 3 to 3 1/2 inches apart, bend to bend or eye to eye.

What color hoochies have worked the best?

I use gamakatsu 4/0 on a 40 inch 30 lb test leader. I think a light green of some sort works best for me But some days it's pink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Another point is enuff- With herring we've pretty much switched over to sliding sinkers for silvers. Can't say 100% that it's increased our hookup rate,
    How you running your slider?

I gotta ask............why such heavy pound leaders guys...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think even a 40# is soft enough to get good action and I really really really hate when I break off a King if one chomps on my gear.

I use 50lb because you get better action with less twisted leaders. Also you don't get as many cut off fish. You still have to check your leaders

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    How you running your slider?
    I've dinked around with lots. Easiest is to just slide an egg sinker onto your line before tying on your swivel. They used to make special sliding sinkers that were easy to remove, but they were always spendy. You can also get those little plastic sleeves with a snap on them for attaching the sinkers if you want quick change. But it's just about as fast for me just to retie the swivel. A guy ought to change that knot now and then anyway.

Sounds similar to what I do, my universal setup.... hootchie, (usually green) bead inside, 4 foot 50lb fluorocarbon leader, 2 hook rig 5/0 red color, green herring plug cut (for salmon), swivel, slider on main line which is 60 pound P Line. When I target halis, I up the leader to 100 pound flurocarbon, bigger hooks and horse herring (plug cut) with a strip of salt water Power bait ..... I like to experiment alot with different rigs, but this is my fill the freezer early in the season rig.

4/0 / 5/0 on 30 pound fluorocarbon. Often that bottom hook is the one that gets em.

2 hook slider with whole herring, 5/0 red gamo octopus for both. Front hook up by gills, back hook at tail or past a bit. 35 lb maxima mono. Its essentially my troll setup with a 3' leader instead of 2'. Sometimes use an fbr or salmon killer with this mooching setup, especially if coho bite is really hot. Makes for fast rebait.
    qf

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I gotta ask............why such heavy pound leaders guys...???
    Sharp teeth, silvers can do a number on your leader.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

If you have ever seen a commercial troller killing silvers they are using 80lb to 100lb leaders. Silvers don't care, and I am not to sure Kings do.

I was wondering the same thing former. Never had a salmon bite me off on 6lb in the rivers let alone15lb in the oocean. They have pointy tee h for holding prey, but not cutting teeth like pike, muskies or the like. Sides or their teeth are smooth
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Default Use one hook!

I use anything from 1oz to 20z mooching sinker with a 3' Ultragreen 20# leader, usually 30# Powerpro main line. But you can deploy lots of different sinker and leader setups.

BUT here is my main difference from the rest of you, after mooching lots of silvers for 18 years in PWS: I only use one hook now, the last three years, and feel that I hook up at least as well as with two hooks, and now I never hook me or anyone else! After a couple of deep penetrations from the dangling second hook, trying to get a feisty salmon out of the net to bonk it, I tried bonking in the net to avoid putting my hand in there and risking hooking me too. But that beats your net up.

So, first I went to one Gamagatsu 4/0 and that worked well, except that a lot of the silvers would engulf the hook deep into their gut, and I would have to cut the leader, and couldn't release many of the fish I wanted to. So, I tried what is now my only salmon mooching hook I will use, Owner Mutu Light Circle Hooks, 4/0. I don't think I miss any serious bites, and these hooks ALWAYS hook in the jaw, so are easy to remove, and they stay hooked too. Great hook, you should try them. Used them exclusively the last two years and I am sold on this. Plus, although I had gotten good at tying two hook leaders, why bother? And, you only use half as many hooks.

With this single hook rig, I like to insert the hook tip through the mouth and up out of the top of the head of a whole herring, or through the top front of a plug cut herring (mostly I just use them whole for mooching), then pull the entire hook through, then hook it through the side skin about half way back on a solid fresh bait, or if they bait is a little old, then through the body. If you are having trouble with silvers short-striking your bait, pull the hook a couple of inches past the bait and let it dangle, that will get em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast