Thread: Kenai Goats

Default Kenai Goats

I see that the Kenai goat registaration hunts are listed again in this years regs. When will they tell us if they will actually be held this year or not? Is this determined by the number of animals taken in the earlier DG hunts? Im hoping acouple will atleast be open. Hillbilly

Yep, it is directly tied to goat numbers and harvest numbers in a given area. As Kenai goats overall are a little depressed in numbers right now, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that many road accessible hunts will be open. I hope I'm wrong, though!

Default Depressed?

I'm not sure the whole reason is that they are depressed. I think the reason the hunts weren't held last year is because they hadn't counted them in a specified period of time, and thus by statute could not open the registration hunt. Numbers may be down in some areas also, but not all the areas that could have been opened up. Unless they are able to count the goats this year, I don't think they can open any registration hunts. I could be wrong on this, but that is what I remember from last fall.

I'm a small government kind of guy, but we need to get more funding into the hands of F&G. If they can't do something as simple as aerial surveys, how can we expect them to properly manage game under their constitutional mandate? I sure was hoping to see an uptick in funding under the current administration.

Default Funding

I've asked this before but never gotten a clear response. Is there something we as hunters and conservationists can do to get money into the hands of the people that will do specific game management tasks? As I understand it, they cannot earmark monies, but they must go into the general fund?