Thread: Anyone have experience with a Forbes Rifle?

Default Anyone have experience with a Forbes Rifle?

I want to purchase a light sheep gun and considering a couple, the Kimber Mountain Ascent and the Forbes Rifle, both in Short Action state under 5 lbs. I am not a huge Kimber fan due to hit or miss accuracy concerns I have heard and experienced. Reviews on the Forbes accuracy seems pretty consistent and they are making an all stainless gun in 2015. Anyone have any experience with the new Forbes rifle, which is slightly different from the ULA or NULA of old?

Thanks for the feedback.

I have had four different Kimber Montana rifles (two 30-06, one 270, and one 308) and currently have one Forbes in 270.

The Forbes is accurate with a number of different factory loadings. My rifle functions perfectly and has absolutely no problem of any kind. In my experience I would take the Forbes over the Kimber without a second thought. It was an earlier made version and has the safety that can be pushed in for releasing the bolt while on safety. It is put together properly without any of the bedding issues that have been publicized recently with Forbes. Of course those are only cosmetic and do not affect the function or accuracy of the rifle.

I will say that I love the Kimber rifle and the way that it is made. But the hit or miss accuracy problems plus the unconcerned attitude of the customer contact employees at Kimber have made me swear off any more of that brand.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Buy a Ruger, 6 lbs, MOA or better for most people, way less money, awesome customer service...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ruger are you referring to? the only one i know that is close to 6 lbs is the american. I will be picking up one of these for my daughter next week, but it is the still a lb. More than i want, which i guess is what it all comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    Which ruger are you referring to? the only one i know that is close to 6 lbs is the american. I will be picking up one of these for my daughter next week, but it is the still a lb. More than i want, which i guess is what it all comes down to.
    Yeah the American, sorry, should have clarified. I thought about a Kimber for a long time, but it wasn't worth a $700 gamble to me to get a good one, not after reading the reports on the American.

Seems there was recently another Forbes post on here, like in the last 6 months or so, you might try searching for that one, I know there have been a couple Kimber threads too.

I have a 24b in 30-06. Shoots great and is a joy to carry.

I had a 6.25lb 416 Remington build by mr Forbes. Best shooting big bore I ever owned and by far the easiest to carry. If something goes wrong he fixes it. Never had any issues other than needing s new mag for the box. Mine got roughed up by copper bullets and they were catching in the burs. Got a new one for free. Nice and light...expensive. I also had a 270
    Ti. I wish I still had that rifle. Shot awesome and was also light! And cheaper.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Just to throw out one more idea. I carry a Weatherby UltraLightweight in 30-06 for sheep. About 5.5lbs IIRC. Very accurate. Just over 7lbs with sling, talley lightweights, a 2.5-8 VX3, and 5 in the mag. Yep, 5 in the mag.

There's a Forbes .308 on Alaska's list right now for like $650.

You got my hopes up...but its 2 rifles for $2600. There are new ones on GB for $1300 ea so not a great deal, especially if you need to buy two.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    You got my hopes up...but its 2 rifles for $2600. There are new ones on GB for $1300 ea so not a great deal, especially if you need to buy two.
    Sorry! Must have been trying to do two things at once when I read that! Now I feel like a jerk!

"the Forbes rifle" and a "NULA" are two different beasts all together - ANYONE would be happy with a NULA, they are true customs and Melvin Forbes stands unwaveringly behind his "love it or return it" guarantee (plus he's a nice guy with a great sense of humor) - the "Forbes rifle" is a compromise and everyone should understand what that means - they dropped the 3 function safety straight away which turned me off instantly but I read and hear they're a nice enough gun

Melvin is awesome. Sent my rifle back after s client broke the stock. Melvin reblued and brad blasted everything. Came back looking brand new, no charge. He said if it's got his name on it he didn't want it ugly. Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I ordered an all-stainless 24B in .280AI. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I ordered an all-stainless 24B in .280AI. I'm looking forward to it.
    What will that set you back?