Thread: ice thick enough to drive on?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default ice thick enough to drive on?

Anyone know of ice thick enough to drive on within an hour (or so) of the valley? I'm taking (at least) three little kids so I would like somewhere we can drive a 5k lb. suv. I'm willing to go to Talkeetna area or matanuska Glacier area if there is safe ice.
    Thanks for any advice.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Anyone know of ice thick enough to drive on within an hour (or so) of the valley? I'm taking (at least) three little kids so I would like somewhere we can drive a 5k lb. suv. I'm willing to go to Talkeetna area or matanuska Glacier area if there is safe ice.
    Thanks for any advice.

we were driving on fingerlake a week and a half ago....I guess it is probably still safe.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    we were driving on fingerlake a week and a half ago....I guess it is probably still safe.
    yea, only 4 vehicles , fell through this winter .must be safe to drive.. great spot for kids if the ice is good.

Quote Originally Posted by love em and leave em View Post
    yea, only 4 vehicles , fell through this winter .must be safe to drive.. great spot for kids if the ice is good.
    In fairness they were all out there the first week of December, which is incredibly foolish any way you look at it.

I drove on it yesterday to the first island, found 17" of ice.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The ice roads are operational on Big Lake. Can be accessed at any of the state boat ramps.

If it were me, I think I would go fishing there by myself first to see if it is safe to drive on before I would take my kids. Too many people have gone through the ice this year and this winter weather has just been too crazy. I'm sure most of it is safe, but you never know about overflow conditions and thin ice near the shoreline etc.

Drove out on a meadow lakes area lake yesterday. 16-18 inches everywhere. Bare minium for driving in my opinion. Also did well on rainbows!

1508090_10153614035409152_1542308485812122979_n.jpg 22 inches

Also worth noting...Once you get to willow, the temperatures have stayed below freezing MOST of the winter...more than south of willow anyway. Im sure the lakes are much safer out there...BUT there is also more snow and there was lots of overflow on those lakes before the cold snap...most lakes are very chewed up and refrozen.

People were driving on Finger Lake today (I walked on). Ice measured 15" by the island.