Thread: OAL question.

Default OAL question.

when reloading for a bolt rifle, one is limited to the magazine( clip) for overall length, if you use the clip as intended.
    since most bolt rifles, if not all, are most accurate when the bullet is just a few thousandths short of the rifling.

does anybody know of a rifle that has a magazine or clip that will let you insert rounds loaded beyond SAAMI specs
    so as to get closer to the rifling without doing the single shot thing?

in my tikka 308, the difference is 0.15 from clip OAL, versus single shot all the way to the rifling..
    2.81 saami spec versus 2.96 loaded to max OAL.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    when reloading for a bolt rifle, one is limited to the magazine( clip) for overall length, if you use the clip as intended.
    since most bolt rifles, if not all, are most accurate when the bullet is just a few thousandths short of the rifling.

does anybody know of a rifle that has a magazine or clip that will let you insert rounds loaded beyond SAAMI specs
    so as to get closer to the rifling without doing the single shot thing?

in my tikka 308, the difference is 0.15 from clip OAL, versus single shot all the way to the rifling..
    2.81 saami spec versus 2.96 loaded to max OAL.
    Seating close to the lands doesn't always result in the most accurate seating depth, nor is it prudent to do so, since you need some clearance to keep the bullet from sticking in the lands when you extract a loaded round.

.015 off the lands, is minimum, for me. I'd rather have at least .030. Were I you, I'd start at .030, or magazine length, depending, and when, and if, you decide to tune with seating depth, go from there.

If you wanna know if you can load rounds longer than magazine length, singly, just try it. Make sure you can eject loaded rounds though. They have to be short enough OAL, to clear the action.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Not much more to add than what Smitty said.

For example my best load in my Kimber Montana is a Barnes TSX. It likes about 50 thou from the lands which is well inside mag length.

I once was loaned a Rem 721 in 300 win mag for the purpose of developing a load for it . It had a very short magazine - any more than 3.340 (SAAMI) was too long for mag length. With any long nosed bullets, I couldn't come close to the lands. Even with a huge jump, it still shot accurately.

On the other hand , I have a 35 Whelen with a very long throat. Unfortunately, it likes bullets seated very close to the lands. In this case, I chose a blunt nosed heavy bullet which got close to the lands, and shot accurately enough.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ