Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you all set up your stations?

Default How do you all set up your stations?

This will be the first year I bait, and Im just wonderng whats the most effective way to set up a bait site? I just got two poly drums and baitem907 bait station starter stuff. Just not familiar with setting up a site.

What you have will work. Just chain it to a tree or stump or something SOLID once in place. If not, lol, you'll be looking for it out in the woods with regularity.
    The hardest part is "where" to set it up. Are you in a city like Anchorage? If so, how far are you willing to travel to "get away from the crowds"? Are ya walking, atv'ing, boating, or ?? How determined are you to maintain it? Are you going it alone or do you have a buddy that's helping? Is said buddy experienced in baiting?
    I'm certainly not questioning your integrity here, it's just that sometimes first-time baiters have been discouraged due to the efforts, distances traveled, and $$ involved with baiting. There is literally TONS of info on this very subject on this very forum, to back that up.
    So, I'm just sayin'...

How it's set up isn't too difficult because A LOT of the time, just being in a good area with minimal/low pressure, "they will come"... They will also come in in high pressure areas, but those bears are "sometimes" smaller and/or can be more nocturnal.
    I use a jet boat these days, and man, what a difference, but I didn't always. I look for known areas with good solid bear activity OR from my personal past experiences, then a good water source in the area (I like H2O within a 1/2 mile or less of the bait), then a good bear food source(s). Avoid big openings, like the middle of a field. Stay with in the trees or the edges of. I try to find that area far AWAY from people as absolutely possible. A mile at least, several is better... If there's a prevailing wind in your spot, try to figure it out the best you can and set up the stand/bait and incoming foot trail, accordingly.
    I'm sure there's lots more to add/subtract from this and others will chime in.
    Best of luck..

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Great info in those videos! Starting to get the itch now, jonesing for spring time!

How do you guys clean these baits up? How do you "remove all contaminated wood and soil?"

Got another question. Is it best to lay the barrels on their side or have them standing up. And does it make it harder for grizz to crush the poly drums when they are standing?

Standing up or laying down doesn't really matter, regardless of position, just do what ya can to keep the rain out of the bait.
    Mine have always been upright.
    I made the jump to poly 2 years ago, no problems yet with griz mashing 'em all up. And they've been pounded on pretty good.
    I was kind of surprised actually just how well they've been holding up...

Do they chew up your holes though? And how big you got your holes?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    Great info in those videos! Starting to get the itch now, jonesing for spring time!

How do you guys clean these baits up? How do you "remove all contaminated wood and soil?"
    Im willing to bet that most guys who dump those gallons of cooking grease around their barrels don't clean it up properly at the end of the season.

The cheaper you can get your bait the better. Especially if you have a lot of brownies coming in. Those bears can eat!! The baitem907 products are great for getting the scent out there. But you can't expect to keep the bears fed with those products or you will go bankrupt. You need some bulk food like bread, popcorn, or dogfood to keep them fed. The baitem907 products get them to your site initially, the bulk bait keeps them coming back.

best "bang for your buck" is popcorn and a kettle corn cooker as you can make a few 55 gallon bags of corn for less than 20 bucks. I will be doing a few big write ups here in a few days once things settle down.

Popcorn/kettle corn is great. I sit out in the driveway and use my turkey cooker to make it. I'll fill my wheel barrow 3-4 times and bag it up once cooled. It's super EZ to make and I pack my barrel in LOADED already. It's the bomb... It's takes quite awhile to eat too. (Unless there's brown bear cubs, them little bast**rds will eat ya outta house n home QUICK!)
    After it gets hit, I'll add an occasional bag of Ol' Roy dog food in there and maybe a bag or two of cheap, no namebrand cereal. Keeps them interested. The molasses stuff mixed in helps it stick together right nice too... I've poured turkey/chicken oil into it as well when full of popcorn. That smells REALLY good too... They love it. Stays off of the ground for the most part too...
    From my experience, the 907 stuff attracts them pretty good, but that's not what keeps them in. Out of all the 907stuff I've used, for some reason that anise bell sure seems to get their attention no matter where I hang it and they go out of their way to tear it down, EVERY YEAR.. Quill pigs (porcupines) go after it too. Go figure... All of the other 907 stuff is sniffed or licked, then typically left alone.
    On my poly barrel, I have a 4"x4" loading hole towards the top of my barrel and off to the side. The bears feed hole is 6 or so inches up from the bottom and 6"x6" square. The edges are still good and it's no worse for wear. I run a 1/2 x 2 1/2" eye bolt through the upper back with 2 2" flat washers on each side of the poly. I'll double nut it, then chain it to a tree... So far so good...

to recap on what I and swampdonkey said also when making your popcorn get some koolaid or jello mix and dump it in each bag of pop corn (55gal trash bag) and shake it up real well.. it will add a great sweetness and scent

I posted this a few years ago. Super cheap easy and fast way to make popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

Anyone take a generator with poppers out to their sites? and really load up the sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

I did this after seeing your photo a couple years back, works great! Probably made 10 bags full over the last two years. Thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Anyone take a generator with poppers out to their sites? and really load up the sites.
    Seems like a lot of work....carrying the generator that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Seems like a lot of work....carrying the generator that is.
    he has a argo... wait make that 2 argos

Yep ... And in a few more months ... our kids will be playing round camp together having their fun ... And we'll all be watching the Bears pull little fishes from the creek. If the generator thing doesn't pan out I'll try to remember the jiffy Pop.

haha sounds good Wet eNuf and I should be back in about 45 days so get your reloading equipment ready

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast