Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU park Firearms....Muzzle UP or Muzzle Down...???

Default How do YOU park Firearms....Muzzle UP or Muzzle Down...???

My goal is Muzzle DOWN, in the field, in the safe, in the closet. I never store or park a long gun Muzzle up. When hiking with a sling I prefer muzzle down.

Even handguns, if possible I park muzzle Down.

Do you park UP or DOWN........????

Muzzle down generally. You can fit more in the safe that way. It also keeps any excess lube from migrating into the stock. Not that I drench my guns in oil.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Both. It just depends on the situation. In the safe I alternate. Fits more guns that way. In the home it depends on whether on carpet or hard floor, or even where I'm leaning it. In the field, always muzzle up.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

In the safe or at home- muzzle down. In the field- muzzle up.

Muzzle up in the field so as to prevent the introduction of any obstructions (though often my muzzle is taped). At home I've also always done muzzle up out of habit - never really thought about a reason not to, but some interesting points made above.

My 10-yr-old and I recently did muzzle up during lunch in a snowy backpack hunt:

Backpacking: rifle muzzle up; pistol muzzle down:

Interesting thread!
    In the safes, long guns are stored muzzle up (don't buy into the excess oil argument) and handguns horizontal on racks.
    In the field, long guns muzzle up, handguns muzzle down.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Muzzle down generally. You can fit more in the safe that way. It also keeps any excess lube from migrating into the stock. Not that I drench my guns in oil.
    That's my thinking as well. I can fit more than twice as many long guns in my safe with the muzzle down. I've seen some bore damage from this in salty humid environments, but I've never had an issue with mine in many years of such practice.

In the field I keep long guns with the muzzle up and the barrel taped. Handguns reside in a holster, muzzle down(ish).

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Interesting thread!
    In the safes, long guns are stored muzzle up (don't buy into the excess oil argument) and handguns horizontal on racks.
    In the field, long guns muzzle up, handguns muzzle down.
    I've seen many valuable guns with wood stocks sustain significant damage from too much oil and long term storage with the muzzle up. IME the oil soaks into the wood causing the wood to become "punky", oftentimes ruining the stock or at least causing it to be very difficult to repair. I gotta believe that a gunsmith like gunbugs has seen a lot more of this than I have and I've seen enough to make me very wary. Fortunately, I first saw it when I was young enough to give it a wide berth and save me a great deal of hassle......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

"I've seen many valuable guns with wood stocks sustain significant damage from too much oil and long term storage with the muzzle up. IME the oil soaks into the wood causing the wood to become "punky", oftentimes ruining the stock or at least causing it to be very difficult to repair. I gotta believe that a gunsmith like gunbugs has seen a lot more of this than I have and I've seen enough to make me very wary. Fortunately, I first saw it when I was young enough to give it a wide berth and save me a great deal of hassle......"

Wow...it's hard to believe there are folks out there who slather so much gun oil on their long guns that the cumulative effects of time and gravity would cause oil to seep into the wood, causing wood fiber to break down. But....I suppose there are some people who have done this. My advice to them is to cut back on the gun oil (and shoot your guns more often). Different strokes for different folks.

I use very little gun oil on my gun's metal surfaces, and constantly run Golden Rods in the safes. I've never had an issue with rust over the decades. Where lube is needed along high wear metal on metal points of the firearms, a little dab of light grease (or oil) is all that is needed. Heck, even running your bolt or action dry is not necessarily a bad thing. Also, the last thing I want to do is store the entire weight of my long guns on the muzzle and have the muzzle make contact with anything. For these reasons, I store all my long guns muzzle up.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

UP.

It's safer.

The Muzzle should be protected, as should be the Foote.

Gun racks are usually made for storing with the Butt Down, and the Muzzle UP.

UP, I say.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

WHY...........???

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    UP. It's safer. Smitty of the North

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    WHY...........???
    I said,,,,, "The Muzzle should be protected, as should be the Foote.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I generally store guns at home in the horizontal position, so neither. When I'm in the field, I will sling muzzle up if the weather is not precipitating. If it's precipitating, I'll go to muzzle down and be more in tune with muzzle position while bending or kneeling. However, when handling guns or carrying "at the ready", I'll always go muzzle down for safety. Muzzle down and I always know where the bullet will go, or as an old instructor once told me, "we don't point guns at God".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

For storage I alternate muzzle up and muzzle down. I can nestle way more guns in my too small safe that way. In the field it totally depends on the situation.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I store mine muzzle up but will turn a few around to make more room in the safe. I can see where this will help on more storage in the safe. I am surprised this thread has made it this far and nobody has mentioned a round in the chamber or empty chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    . I am surprised this thread has made it this far and nobody has mentioned a round in the chamber or empty chamber.
    I think we had quite enough fun on that topic.

I have never really thougth about it though. I don't have enough guns to need to alternate and I put muzzle up in the safe, I normally sling muzzle up (depending on the balance of the gun but i have one that likes it muzzle down). Pistols are horizontal in the safe and my holster holds them muzzle down. When field carrying I am almost always down. Muzzles are always taped for me with where I hunt.

Interesting perspectives though.....

Nether usually, I like them racked horizontally and use a strong room not a safe. If I stand one its almost never on the muzzle or crown because I don't want it nicked or anything jammed in there. Occasionally when working on one I'll stand it muzzle down so parts don't fall off/out but I'm very cautious of what is udder the crown.

Horizontal racking, two ten inch long 1" wood dowels 20" apart at a 5 degree upward angle with pipe foam insolation on them for me.
    In my new shop here in Arizona it will be more of a locker than the strong room I had in Palmer. It will be 8" thick 10Kpsi reinforced concrete walls with a safe like steel and concrete door because this is were I lived when they stole my guns safe and all . . . have fun getting that open tweekers.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My folks thought horizontal was the best storage method and that long guns stored butt down might get oil soaked into the wood. My Mother had a horizontal display case built for my Father that holds 6 long guns horizontal. I have it in my gun room. It doesn't provide any security, so I keep my guns in a safe with the long guns (very lightly oiled or with Rig grease) stored butt down.

I like Andy's idea on storage.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    In the safe or at home- muzzle down. In the field- muzzle up.
    I do the same.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Muzzle up for rifles in the safe or when parking them in the field, I'm with Smitty on this one... the crown is very important. Put a ding in it and watch your accurate rifle not be so accurate and have to cut a new crown.
    When I carry from a sling it's on my left side muzzle down which is the fastest position to bring a firearm to bear being right handed. I also tape all muzzles when in the field.
    Handguns are horizontal in the safe or muzzle down in a holster.

Mountaintrekker

Mountaintrekker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast