Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New sled time: Tundra or Voyageur?

Default New sled time: Tundra or Voyageur?

Going to pick up either the Polaris 550 155 Voyageur or the Tundra 550 LT tomorrow.
    Can't for the life of me decide which.
    Anyone?
    "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...."
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Tundra all the way. I have never had a problem with any skidoo 550fan and I have had a few. Have two currently. Only thing better would be to have a four stroke. In a tundy! Oh so quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Going to pick up either the Polaris 550 155 Voyageur or the Tundra 550 LT tomorrow.
    Can't for the life of me decide which.
    Anyone?
    "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...."
    I have little experience with snow machines, but I have ridden a few tundras and voyagers. I've also done some extensive research and read a persuasive paper one of my students wrote. He recommended the Tundra. I have to agree with him. Seems like a very good machine.

I'm in the market for a similar sled, but am leaning towards the Bearcat 570. Because I'm woefully uninformed on such things, can you tell me why that one didn't make your list?

Check out the weight of the Bearcat Brian. If you bury it you may not like it over a Tundra or Scandic. The main reason I bought a Scandic was weight and a bad back.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Check out the weight of the Bearcat Brian. If you bury it you may not like it over a Tundra or Scandic. The main reason I bought a Scandic was weight and a bad back.
    I'll take a look, but my understanding was that the Bearcat 570 isn't a beast like the more powerful Bearcat.

Many, many, folks say the new Tundras are very tippy. I know 1 trapper who sold his and bought one of these with the 600 ACE engine and loves it: http://www.ski-doo.com/showroom/expe.../sport/details

I'll think hard about that machine once my current one starts leaving me stranded. Either way, enjoy and pray for SNOW!!

Bearcat didn't make the list for the simple reason that while they are good, reliable machines, they just don't do as well I deep snow and trail breaking the others. If all I was doing was trail miles, hauling gear, I would look real hard at the BC. I have 2 older ones, a 340 and a 440, although I just sold the 440, and am also selling my M8, as it just sits.
    I have lots of Tundra and Scandic time. I have found the new style Tundras to be tippy, but figured that if I get one, I would just learn to ride it. Have no experience with the Voyagueurs. A few folks on here have given some good reports on them. Curious if they get better mileage than the Tundra 550s. I like the idea of the ACE engines, but. Cold weather starts are a big concern for me, as well as simplicity. They are reliable, but....
    I really like the look of the Polaris, and it's a great price. I'm used to riding A arm sleds in the bush, and like their ride, but the pogo stick suspension of the Tundra does work better and get hung up less.
    It's a tough one.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Love my tundra it is tippy but can go places lots of sleds can't takes some getting used to but after riding the polaris no way would I want those big A arms.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

The Scandic / Tundra is a little tippy. I have plastic skins on mine giving me about 2" wide of extra floatation on each ski. I also have a piece of 1/4" plastic under the front to take stump hits. But as others have stated, it goes places it shouldn't.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've got a 2010 Bearcat 570 XT and have had some major issues with the starter, which appears to be common to that run of sleds. As for weight, I'm a somewhat undersized 58-year-old woman (stop laughing, please) and when it froze to the ground after one of our ice storms I couldn't get it free, but a friend was able to lift the back end off the ground to get it loose. YMMV. I've dug it out after burying it without too much trouble but it might have been that it wasn't that stuck. I carry a come-along just in case.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Brian, when it comes time to make the serious decision give Jeff Heard a call. He has a Bearcat 570 and a Tundra 550. The Tundra is far more nimble, the Bearcat is far more comfortable to ride for distances. I ride a 4-stroke Bearcat and I love it. I know it's limitations and respect them, but the guys that ride with me can attest how well it performs if you are aggressive and weigh a lot (which you don't).

My next sled my be a Voyager 600. I like the sport/ute appeal of it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Hadn't even considered the Voyager. I'll have to add that to my list of ones to look at.

Do some research and you'll find alot of burned down cylinders on the 550 skidoo fan after 2010. If your worried about dead battery issues on the Ace a quick charge/jump pack weighs very little and takes up a small space as well....much easier to pack than the extra fuel for the two stroke to match the Ace 's range out of the stock fuel tank.
    I wouldn't overlook the Expedition Sport on your list... I have just over 100 miles on my 15' Expedition Sport 900 Ace now and am sooooooo happy that's where I ended up in my search. Do some Internet digging, you'll see a lot of persuasion to go Expy over the Tundra. That Ace motor is an awsome package, quiet doesn't even begin to do it justice in the descriptive department.

Also, I stayed in Slide Mountain area for 5 days after Christmas. I know it gets colder but at -10 in the morning a couple of those days the Wife's 07' Tundra 300 took some choke work and throttle play to keep it going long enough to warm up, the 900 Ace rolled over one revolution and purred as usual. If I was too pack up my gear and head out to tent it for a few days in cold cold weather I would have my small battery jump pack and a small propane heater but I don't think I would need it at all...lots of feed back out there of flawless -35 to -40 starts.
    I do however expect to hook my lunch pail generator up to the block heater on my diesel pick up when I get back out to leave unfortunately.

I have owned over 40 machines in my life and can tell you that the Tundra is the best all around machine if you are into hunting and bushwacking. Can pull a load too! The 550 fan is a gas hog so you might want to consider the ace. Four strokes are nice but you can't do as much work on them without diagnostic equipment. Having a freight business I currently run a couple 800 TUV's, one SWT 2010 with 15,000 And a Expedetion with 7,000 miles. I also run A 1997 polaris wide track with 11,000 miles on it. It has studs so I use it when it's icy. The other thing to watch for when buying a Ski Doo is SERVICE! Not naming outfits but the service is slow and inadequate. I love my SWT and it has proven to be reliable but if you get a four stroke and blow it up you will spend more than 5,000 gaurenteed on a rebuild. And trust me, that won't happen till your warranty is up LOL! One more thing to consider is cowling design. I had a 2006 300 Tundra and the cowling was so skinny that in cold weather the wind would wrap around the cowling and hit you straight in the midsection. I sold that one! I would go with the ACE Tundra, excellent fuel millage!

Yukoner are you on the road? Or have access to a mechanic? I went used and older b/c there is no one out here that could work on the computer based motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Yukoner are you on the road? Or have access to a mechanic? I went used and older b/c there is no one out here that could work on the computer based motors.
    There is a guy in Wasilla but I'm inHawaii and don't remember his name. Also you might try Alaska parts warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    There is a guy in Wasilla but I'm inHawaii and don't remember his name. Also you might try Alaska parts warehouse.
    Wasilla is 350 miles away

What island you on?

I'm in the same boat. My 97 500 fan Indy trail still fires on the second pull regardless, but I am ready to upgrade.Thought I wanted a BC 570 after riding a buddy’s off and on for years. But they are a hog to dig out if you do stick them and as mentioned I am not doing routine heavy hauling. Same buddy (good guy!) has tundra 550 "for the wife" that I have tried as well, too squirrely for me.
    The skidoo expedition 550 or 600ACE looks just right, but the voyager 550, 156' is substantially cheaper

I was worried about Polaris 550 issues and posted about it here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-fan-questions

Other folks discussed the voyager in the last few days.
    At some point it all boils down to individual preference, but when you gentlemen make your choices post and let us know.

[QUOTE=Yukon Cornelius;1450667]Wasilla is 350 miles away

What island you on?[/QUOTE.

I'm on the big Island, enjoying some sun and fun before returning to reality!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast