Thread: Need Images for Book

Default Need Images for Book

I'm finishing the manuscript for Alaska's Fishing and Hunting Legends that's being published by the University of Alaska Press in Fairbanks. If you have good images of Jim Brooks or Hal Waugh, please let me know.

Is Chuck Keim still around? He wrote "Game Trails with a Master Guide", which was Hal Waugh's story. He had tons of photos in there, and probably some he didn't use. You might also check with Clark Engle's widow, if she is still alive. Clark worked for Hal back in the day, and she might have something. I don't know about Larry Keeler, but he was another who worked for Hal.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

When you say, "Alaska's Fishing and Hunting Legends" does that mean the GOOD or the Notorious, or BOTH.......???

Quote Originally Posted by Worldwriter View Post
    I'm finishing the manuscript for Alaska's Fishing and Hunting Legends that's being published by the University of Alaska Press in Fairbanks. If you have good images of Jim Brooks or Hal Waugh, please let me know.

Good and bad, although the chapters don't portray anyone harshly. It's mainly about some of the colorful characters who have helped in some way (guides, experts, lodge owners, bush pilots, journalists, biologists) who have helped elevate fishing and hunting in Alaska over the years.

Thanks Mike. Of course I read Keims book but indeed he's long departed. I do have a pic of one of Hal's caches, but none of him and I'm sure many exist. Have tried SCI, B&C, Alaska digital files, FWS, ADF&G, museums, archives, libraries, etc.

Will indeed see if Clark's wife is still alive, so thanks for that.

Thanks Mike. Of course I read Keims book but indeed he's long departed. I do have a pic of one of Hal's caches, but none of him and I'm sure many exist. Have tried SCI, B&C, Alaska digital files, FWS, ADF&G, museums, archives, libraries, etc.

Will indeed see if Clark's wife is still alive, so thanks for that.
    Are you including Jay Massey? He was very amazing and unique person. Lived in a log cabin in Girdwood, traditional archery guide (longbows and recurves), and conducted archery-only hunts in western Alaska. He had quite a following and was a friend of the chief of the Sioux nation in South Dakota. The chief showed him where they used to dig for flint they used for arrowheads many years ago, and taught Jay how they made arrowheads. Jay made his own bows, arrows and even the arrow points. A huge conservation advocate, and I don't know that he made any enemies, which is very unusual in this field. His widow, Martha, still lives here I believe. Jay died from cancer a few years back. A huge loss to the hunting community here.

He used to work in the public information area with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

I would also highly recommend Joe Want. He guided for Pinnell and Talifson for brown bear on Kodiak Island for many years. He still lives in Fairbanks. A very interesting guy, who is passionate about educating hunters.

Sorry for the recommendations; I'm sure you are getting many of those.

On the Hal Waugh thing, you might get in contact with the Alaska Professional Hunter's Association (APHA). They know a lot of the old-timers.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Sounds like you are ready to go to print. There are some still alive who worked for several of the Notorious Hunting Guides, but maybe that is for a different book. There are even a few threads on this forum about the Notorious. I have always thought it would be fun to write a "NOVEL" where-in there are several old guides sitting around a campfire talking about the Notorious hunting Guide's methods and miss-adventures.

Good and bad, although the chapters don't portray anyone harshly. It's mainly about some of the colorful characters who have helped in some way (guides, experts, lodge owners, bush pilots, journalists, biologists) who have helped elevate fishing and hunting in Alaska over the years.

I like the Jay Massey suggestion ... I'm adding him in the last chapter that includes snippets about those not having an entire dedicated chapter. As to APHA, I've sent them several emails and left a phone message and never got a reply. Will look into Joe Want ... of course P&T have a chapter in the book. Big thanks ...

Very good novel setting, especially if the campfire stories are true.

Another Old Fart with 300 years on the business is Bucky Winkle over at the Rainy Pass Lodge.

Yep, thanks, I understand he lives there year-round.

Yes, and if I remember right he has Master Guide Lic. #1 or #2
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=u...0winkley&type=

Yep, thanks, I understand he lives there year-round.