Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Bears

Anyone have suggestions for reduction of harvest in a fair way?

I think they could start by requiring salvage of meat and hide year round to cut down on bears taken over salmon streams.

That would be one idea. Maybe implement something along the lines of what they did on POW? Non-residents draw unless with a guide? Don't know how much that would cut it, I bet a huge majority are residents hunters out of Anchorage area. Cut it to one a year across the board maybe?
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

$10 oil, and close a few military bases. That should do it.

Seriously though, something needs to be done. Still plenty of bears if you get off the beaten path, but I sure have seen a big decline since 2006 when I started hunting PWS.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

One bear every couple of years seems reasonable. I also like the required salvage to cut down the harvest over a salmon stream.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Article is spot on about the attraction of that time of the year. Bears, shrimp pots, rock fish. Usually flat calm seas. Get the rust off the boat. Sure do enjoy my four-five day trip each year.

I'd support a one every two-three years. One in 4, such as brownies, is far too much tho.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Article is spot on about the attraction of that time of the year. Bears, shrimp pots, rock fish. Usually flat calm seas. Get the rust off the boat. Sure do enjoy my four-five day trip each year.
    I agree and my trip for this year is already on the calendar.

I go easy on the bears though. I enjoy the chase but don't pull the trigger very often.

1 every two years would be a good idea.

It never seems to amaze me that the ADFG does not do anything to reduce harvest numbers until they see a consistent decline in population numbers.

The bears are not the only thing in PWS that is not sustainable due to too much pressure. Shrimp harvest is going to see the same decline....my 2015 prediction......just because we killed XX amount last year does not mean that you can continue to keep doing that - - but ADFG says it is.

Close the fall hunt when the meat is probably bad and end the spring hunt earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I agree and my trip for this year is already on the calendar.

I go easy on the bears though. I enjoy the chase but don't pull the trigger very often.
    Same here. I made a trip up there about 3 years ago. Saw several and never pulled the trigger. It was beautiful just to watch them. Turned out to be a costly sightseeing trip but it was well worth it. And, I'd do the same thing again...unless a real whopper stepped out.

I started hunting PWS in 2007 and have also noticed the decrease in bear size as well as how much less time they're spending out in the open. But then again the last 3 years its been really hard to find an area to hunt that doesn't have a half dozen other boats circling and patrolling it. Ive also noticed more and more bait stations popping up in the last 2 years.
    I'd put a stop to baiting, make meat salvage mandatory and reduce the bag limit to every other year. That should weed quite a few folks out.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

The article is correct. I have not seen a sow with cubs since about 2006 on the bait stations. Even little two year old bears. When I started baiting the PWS sound back then it was not uncommon to see 3-4 coming youngsters in on a bait regularly. I have one established bait stand that only one bear came into last year on camera. I am pretty sure there was a brown bear in the stands the last two days of the season too (After I pulled the camera.). Something that has never happened where I hunt as they are not supposed to be there. Are browns expanding their areas looking for food?

The past winter 11-12 was bad out there as we had over 525" of snow. Year after 400+. With last year being unusual at 220 +/+. So winters are improving as this year we are at less than 2 feet if that. Will that have an affect? Don't know.

The tunnel surly has made a difference in the harvesting of all species out there and calls to the Coast Guard for help. :-)

The number of bait stations a guide can operate went up too. I think 6 or 10 stations but don't have the regs. handy. The guides pushed that through so they may have shot themselves in the foot too.

Closing the season earlier? The season used to be longer and was cut already maybe 5-6 years ago. Odd, cut the season to decrease bear harvest but increase number of stand for guides. Makes no sense.

I don't have an answer. But I have seen a change as I have baited out there since maybe 2004 running or helping run up to three stands.

I feel it may go to a draw. Possibly one every-other-year. It may also happen by EO. So be prepared!!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

One bear every four years. There are plenty of other places where they are trying to reduce the bear population a person can hunt.

I've been hunting bears in PWS for 10+ years, I have taken 2 and friends with me have taken 3, for me its more of a shrimp trip than a bear trip.
    That said I would not be opposed to one bear every 2 years and close PWS to bait stations. I did see 2 sows w/ small cubs last year...!

Seems to me If you outlaw bait stations the sow harvest would go up. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Seems to me If you outlaw bait stations the sow harvest would go up. Thoughts?
    No I don't think so. A bait station allows one to watch the bears longer to see if they have cubs, look at size and if you are good enough, can tell if it is a sow.

Shooting a bear in the alders at 200 yards kind of negates this.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, exactly my point. Lots of people just see a bear and shoot without looking to see if it male or female when not at a bait.

I like the idea of 1 every 2 years; with a twist to it. Since you must seal, require every 2 years if a sow is taken, every year for boar. It would be a lot of paperwork and management in the F&G office, but it would make a lot of people think about shooting a sow.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I like the idea of 1 every 2 years; with a twist to it. Since you must seal, require every 2 years if a sow is taken, every year for boar. It would be a lot of paperwork and management in the F&G office, but it would make a lot of people think about shooting a sow.
    Furthermore, have a quota of sows. Seal within 3 days; if more than 50 sows taken, close it down (200 quota, 25%, as they state in article)
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

For my 2cents.
    1. one bear every two years for resident hunters, 1 bear every four years for non-resident.
    2. registration hunt for resident, drawing permit for non-residents, with limits for each GMU for non-residents.
    3. salvage of meat and proof of processing of meat, especially the non-residents.

My reasoning for the proof of processing is because I have seen to many guides and outfitters who return to the docks and start asking or already have someone there to pass the meat along to. Alot of the time this meat has not been taken care of and it ends up at the dump. Most of the time that this happens is from non-resident hunters who find out it's expensive to ship home. They just want a rug! Let them pay for the processing and then they can give it away to whom ever they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast