Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept '14 Goat Hunt W/Buddy met from Forums

Default Sept '14 Goat Hunt W/Buddy met from Forums

Kodiak goat n deer '14 041.jpgKodiak goat n deer '14 022.jpgShort n sweet. We drew a party goat tag. Well the fly out day arrives. We were so pumped, I was fed up w stress from work. Even getting up at 3am I was so stoked and ready to go! First time for both of us hunting mountain goats. Next day arrives and we head out. Spotting goats about 4 miles from camp. We blew a stalk, then some shots didn't hit the target. We proceeded up to the top to check for blood anyways. Pretty cool I'll tell ya! The view was awesome and terrain was stupid steep and dangerous. But I was right at home hahahahaha. Good gear will save your bacon I'll tell ya.

Kodiak goat n deer '14 058.jpgOCT 033.jpg Not long after checking out the moutain top and crags we bump into the white ghosts. This was after buddy talking about heading down to our packs. "why we are here already in goat country" I said. Just about then see some nice goats. Blam! One goat down. I head up and chase the others where I shouldn't have gone really, but good gear again comes in handy. After getting stuck a few times and back tracking I finally get on one lone goat. Shooting over a flat rock longer than my barrel is my excuse, but I missed. Buddy confirmed a miss but I was headed that way to make sure as the shot felt good. No dice on blood. Turn around a group of goats appeared from the other side where we had been 10minutes before and was not hardly room for goats to walk, darn things are amazing. I post up on my knee after sitting on a rock near the top of the crags. Blam! Goat is rolling down the mountain! Doubled down on first legal day of shooting goats. Both of us got our first ever mountain goats.

OCT 034.jpgGoats were both near the top, I don't think you can really even see the tops here. But no damage to the goats. It's late. Time for bed. Few more pics tomorrow at some point. But not too many more as not sharing pics of the terrain! Hahahahahaha I've learned that from the past.

awesome adventure man! congrats on two nice goats! I too hunted for the first time for goat and sheep this year being successful ill say it is now ingrained in my blood as I'm sure it is in yours. congrats again!

Wow..........

Congrats to both of you.
    Nice job and way to persevere.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Are those both Nannies? What were the measurements?

I'm glad you made it back safe. Goat hunting is serious stuff, more so than sheep hunting at times, and I've done a fare bit of both.

Yes they were nannies, 8-/34" and 8-1/4'. My right foot still goes numb if I bump the top of my arch, had crampons too tight I guess, or from hauling the goat down in one load w rifle and all back to camp. I try and pack light, but I don't have a light pack or gun hahahahahaha. On this trip tho I learned why guys take so many candy bars and such!!!!!!!!!!!! I always 3 full meals usually on any day hike while hunting. After the goat portion, we left stoves and mtn house meals in the tent. Just took gummy bears, apple or banana and snack bars. We knocked down some nice deer, mine was a 6 point, and buddy got a huge, wide and tall and heavy 9 pointer, was up on top of a mountain.

Where bouts was this hunt?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The Rock man

Lol ya i figured that much out....curious what tag you had
    Master guide 212

hahahahahahahahaha wasn't a road system tag I'll tell ya that much! Yeah I know man, not very helpful but you know where to go for 'em I'm sure. I'll guide ya! hahahahahaha Or I should say, I'll tell ya if you take me sheep hunting! hahahahahahaha

It's ok. Didn't know draw tags for kodiak goats were big secrets.
    I'm not trying to find an area to shoot nannies!! It's refuge so I can't guide there anyway....your gonna have to take me!😃
    Master guide 212

The area we went had been guided before we got there pilot said. IDK. Hell yeah I'll take ya. Party tag next year man! Sure would be fun to hunt w ya. The billies were out of reach for rookies. Granted had we known we would have blue bird days the whole hunt maybe we coulda forth the effort and risk for the billies, but they were on the back side of gnarly bowls and no short easy way around them. Hence we shot what we got on and had other hunters fly in on as we were skinning anyways! No second guessing here. Counted it a successful hunt and 3 deer made it home w us too. This spot is just to unique to blab away about man. Nothing against you or the this fantastic site.

Glad you guys had enough ammo. Pretty cool shot with the lake in the background.

that's awesome!!!!

I want to see the deer pictures!

Kodiak goat n deer '14 069.jpgKodiak goat n deer '14 087.jpg Hey 3 shots for two one shot one kills isn't bad man!!! Granted no miss is better but hey, I blame on the rock that was steaming after I shot hahahahahaha I say the vortex thru the bullet off course. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Deer was shot from 250+ yards. Goat was around 100 I assume, no time to range it and wasnt much over 100 I think. .375 ruger does work son! Buddy is on vacation and didn't tell him I was gonna post. So that's why he is not chiming in.

That is a nice 3x4

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    That is a nice 3x4
    Oh No sir, that's a 5x4, he's from florida hahahhaha they count bumps even!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast