Thread: Tikka T3 Boar Hunter/Hornady Superformance Ammo report

Default Tikka T3 Boar Hunter/Hornady Superformance Ammo report

Too Cold to work today but not to try my new gun!

I just picked up a Cabelas exclusive Tikka T3 Boar Hunter in 338 Win Mag. Price was 699.00 Here are the Specs.

Tikka T3 Boar Hunter Bolt-Action Rifles
    Caliber Finish Barrel Overall Length (in.) Magazine Capacity Approximate Weight (lbs.) SKU # Stock Twist Price
    .338 Win. Mag Blued 21.3" 41.3" 3+1 7.3 03454744 Synthetic, Realtree AP 1:10

What do I like about it? I like the short barrel, I like the sights and I Like having a detachable Magazine. The trigger is very nice too. These three things are important to me. I tend to hunt lots of thick brush and woods. That's why I like the short length. Also I like carrying my gun on my packs and the shorter length reduces hangups on braches.

I like detachable magazines, as its a quick way to reload. But most importantly its a quiet way to carry spare rounds.

Sights are also important to me as a back up to a failed scope while in the field. I have been using the Warne quick release scope rings with good success.

This is my first tikka I have owned. I have fired a lite in .223 and .243. And the one I picked up is no different in terms of butter smooth action, light weight and nice trigger.

I decided to pick up the Hornady Superformance ammo for it to try as I don't have anything to reload for it yet. I picked that ammo for price, familiarity with the bullet, which I chose the 185 gmx. I have harvested 2 moose, a sheep and a caribou with my 300 win mag using the GMX and It works good. But most importantly Hornady claims very little velocity loss in short barrels while using their superformance ammo. This is a direct quote from the hornady website:

We tested a 300 Winchester Magnum load by firing it in a barrel that had been shortened to 20 inches. The

Superformance ammunition gave up an average of only 18 fps per inch. This is roughly

1/3 to 1/2 the velocity loss per inch of barrel length that would be experienced with

conventional powders in a 300 Winchester Magnum.

The published velocity on the box is 3080 FPS at the muzzle for the 185 GMX 338 win mag.

I set up my Chrony 10 feet from the muzzle and what I got was 2870 FPS average. A 210 FPS difference! I was a bit disappointed with that. It is unclear to me if Hornady is basing their data off a 24 or 26" Barrel. They say they mostly use 24" barrels for most cartridges.

Accuracy was good though. I was just using a 3x9 scope. but still managed 1 inch groups at 100 while using a lead sled. a rather rickety one though that I had to shim with chunks of wood.

Shooting off hand was pretty hard. Granted I haven't shot off hand in quite awhile and I felt a bit week. But the muzzle had a tendancy to drift down it seemed. Recoil from a standing position was not bad to handle. I was able to fire 6 rounds relatively pain free. Those off hand shots went anywhere from 3 inches low to 6 and a left to right of 4 inches. I dry fired several times while aiming down range and determined that If I had kept shooting live rounds they all would have ended up about the same. Time to do some pushups I think.

Anyway. my conclusion is I got a rifle with all the features I wanted, except stainless however there is some controversy as I have seen it listed as blued as well as stainless with a duracote finish.

Im not gonna let the velocity loss get me down. I figure I am still well within Alaskan game killing ability with this gun.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the rifle so far and I think I made a good choice for my new do it all hunting gun
    Attached Images Attached Images

rimfirematt,

You are lucky. I went hunting with a guy just before Thanksgiving who has that exact same rifle. I was so impressed with it that when I went to Cabelas three weeks later I was determined to buy one in .338. However when I got there the sales clerks told me that they are not going to be getting any more Boar Hunters and that what they had was in their gun library, AND they didn't have any .338s! So good on you for sweeping up a sweetheart of a rifle.

Thanks for the write up.

Sobie2

Very cool, I've got a very similar set up in a savage and it's been a great do all rifle for sure. I however went for 250 grain bullets and have no idea how fast it is.....likely not very.

A 7 lb 338.......how was that bench recoil? Mine is over 8 lbs and I'm a six shot wonder with it.....that's enough for one day....but I'm also kind of a wuss with recoil.

All the bench work was done off a lead sled. I'm not insane haha. I did shoot 6 time's off hand though. That was good for me! Sobie, I just got this a week ago from anchorage cabelas. I know they had at least one more there as they got mine from the back and not the one on display. And they said all they had were 338's so who knows there still might be one down there

nicely done. I have the same rifle in 300wm. I like it a lot but might move up to the finnlight just for fun.
    mine also shoots very nicely with factory hornaday, an am going to try some reloads on it.
    I slapped a leupold vx6 2-12 on mine, makes a nice combo.