Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Kenai Krill Killer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default Kenai Krill Killer

    I just noticed that the Alaska Outdoor Journal's website has been shutdown. I just discovered this site last summer and found it quite the resource, especially the forums. Klondike Kid had posted an excellent fly-tying tutorial on his Kenai Krill Killer pattern. I was excited this winter to have a fun project, but now the website is down and I never saved the tutorial to my computer. I'm super bummed. Does anyone else have this tutorial or know of an alternative posting online somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	82612

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	82613

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alaska and California
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I don't have the tutorial but the pattern itself looks relatively basic. Orange thread head or body, one appears ti also use chartreuse. then it appears to have dazl eyes but I would use tungsten for a better sink rate and a buck tail and Krystal flash or fishhair, the picture isn't HD enough for me to tell which. Just remember that for krill flys you need to keep it sparse. BTW I tie a similar patter but I use a shrimp hook and dub a sparse flashy body in chartreuse.
    Tight lines

  3. #3
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsupafly View Post
    I just noticed that the Alaska Outdoor Journal's website has been shutdown. I just discovered this site last summer and found it quite the resource, especially the forums. Klondike Kid had posted an excellent fly-tying tutorial on his Kenai Krill Killer pattern. I was excited this winter to have a fun project, but now the website is down and I never saved the tutorial to my computer. I'm super bummed. Does anyone else have this tutorial or know of an alternative posting online somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	82612

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	82613
    As mentioned keep it sparse. The flies in the first picture are too bulky. I use D ribbing for the body, see picture. For the eyes, I don't go heavy. I use bead chain eyes since I don't want the fly itself to be under the fish. I just use enough of weight on my leader to get the fly down in the strike zone. If your eyes are too heavy, the fly will just stay on the bottom of the river below the strike zone. Experiment and find out what works for you. I use crystal flash, fish hair, or calf tail for the tail and beard.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA9CDG6H.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	82645
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legbod_vinyl_d_rib_lg[1].jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	82646
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hainesfisherman View Post
    I don't have the tutorial but the pattern itself looks relatively basic. Orange thread head or body, one appears ti also use chartreuse. then it appears to have dazl eyes but I would use tungsten for a better sink rate and a buck tail and Krystal flash or fishhair, the picture isn't HD enough for me to tell which. Just remember that for krill flys you need to keep it sparse. BTW I tie a similar patter but I use a shrimp hook and dub a sparse flashy body in chartreuse.
    Tight lines
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Using tungsten does sound like a good option. Sorry about the low rez pics. It's the only remnants I could find of the online tutorial.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    As mentioned keep it sparse. The flies in the first picture are too bulky. I use D ribbing for the body, see picture. For the eyes, I don't go heavy. I use bead chain eyes since I don't want the fly itself to be under the fish. I just use enough of weight on my leader to get the fly down in the strike zone. If your eyes are too heavy, the fly will just stay on the bottom of the river below the strike zone. Experiment and find out what works for you. I use crystal flash, fish hair, or calf tail for the tail and beard.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA9CDG6H.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	82645
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legbod_vinyl_d_rib_lg[1].jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	82646
    I'm really liking that fly. It's sparse as you said and really simple. Looks more like krill than the pics I posted. Thanks for the advice.

  6. #6
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsupafly View Post
    I'm really liking that fly. It's sparse as you said and really simple. Looks more like krill than the pics I posted. Thanks for the advice.
    It is a pretty simple fly to tie. If I were you I would go to a fly shop around town and pick something similar up to give you a reference like a Crazy Charlie and so forth. I have also found with these flies lighter is usually better as mentioned by the lovely lady known as FishGod.

  7. #7
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    It is a pretty simple fly to tie. If I were you I would go to a fly shop around town and pick something similar up to give you a reference like a Crazy Charlie and so forth. I have also found with these flies lighter is usually better as mentioned by the lovely lady known as FishGod.
    Thank you K.B.F My go to colors for these flies are orange, pink, pearl, chartruese, and light red.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    186

    Default

    I was so bummed when I couldn't find this. I was just saying a little while back that I need to save the instructions. Then, BAM!!!! it is gone. I have spent a little time looking and I found this video, http://datab.us/Search/Popular%2BSoc...PGAji20Im65D_b

    Hopefully this helps.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I also just recently found Alaska Outdoor Journal myself, I was really bummed as I have not been able to absorb all the info available on their. I to wished I saved the plans for the Krill pattern but will use the pictures that you guys have and figure it out. Its to bad hopefully the void is filled, as I am hungry to learn all I can about fishing in Alaska.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalTexAk Reaper View Post
    I was so bummed when I couldn't find this. I was just saying a little while back that I need to save the instructions. Then, BAM!!!! it is gone. I have spent a little time looking and I found this video, http://datab.us/Search/Popular%2BSoc...PGAji20Im65D_b

    Hopefully this helps.
    Yeah I've seen a couple of his videos. Pretty cool stuff. I got a reply on a Facebook message from him indicating the Kenai Krill Killer tutorial will be put back up online in the near future on his fly fishing site. I'm not sure what site that is, but he said he'll announce it on the Alaska Outdoor Journal Facebook page when he does put it up.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlrtime View Post
    I also just recently found Alaska Outdoor Journal myself, I was really bummed as I have not been able to absorb all the info available on their. I to wished I saved the plans for the Krill pattern but will use the pictures that you guys have and figure it out. Its to bad hopefully the void is filled, as I am hungry to learn all I can about fishing in Alaska.
    Klondike Kid sent me a reply on a Facebook message I sent him earlier:

    "The KKK article will be resurrected in the near future so that its available for folks to read and use as a reference if they want to tie up some of their own flies. I will be keeping the fly fishing site online and that is where I will end up transferring the information. I'll announce that here on the AOJ Facebook page that I will be keeping going for distributing important information like EO's and even some of my forecasts and predictions plus photos too."

    This is great news. I hope he put it up soon cause I'm itching to start tying some flies and getting gear ready for the summer fishing season.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsupafly View Post
    Klondike Kid sent me a reply on a Facebook message I sent him earlier:

    "The KKK article will be resurrected in the near future so that its available for folks to read and use as a reference if they want to tie up some of their own flies. I will be keeping the fly fishing site online and that is where I will end up transferring the information. I'll announce that here on the AOJ Facebook page that I will be keeping going for distributing important information like EO's and even some of my forecasts and predictions plus photos too."

    This is great news. I hope he put it up soon cause I'm itching to start tying some flies and getting gear ready for the summer fishing season.
    Oh yeah me too!!!!!

  13. #13
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Why is your gear up? This has been a great winter for River fishing, with the warm temps!

  14. #14
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    You can help your self just be You Tube'ing Crazy Charlie Bone Fish Fly. About 30 tutorials on the pattern. You can also do the same for a Clouser Minnow all basically the same pattern. Remember in our world there are very few "New" ideas just variations of a sport and art form that dates back in some cases over 2000 years. It is not to say someone has not tweaked something to come up with something new I am only stating that a little internet search goes a long way to helping.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHCeXKjUSbU Crazy Charlie

    From Bob Clouser U Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gX83J1Kvg

  15. #15
    Member stewjacobson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    19

    Default Kenai Krill killers

    This is the text of what KK put up. I was not able to paste the photos, but will try again,Stewart


    ~PART ONE~



    COMPONENTS:

    • HOOKS - streamer & Siwash with 3/8" gap for Russian/FFO and 7/16" for Kenai.
    • Under-Body - lead wire wrap, .020" and .035" diameter depending on hook size, water depth and current speed
    • Body - Black or Orange thread base and overwrap
    • Wings - Krystal Flash, Mylar Flashabou
    • Head - plated lead dumbell eyes of varying weight depending on conditions fished
    • Head Thread - Orange or red

    NOTE: Each thumbnail image will open to full size for closer details. Read left to right.

    Get your components all laid out. But after using this fly you may find you only need about a half dozen to last you all season long. We will start with the typical streamer hook with a 3/8" hook point gap for Russian River regulations. Buy a red hook if your source has them. Lay down a base wrap of thread on the shank. Leave thread at tail end. Anchor your lead wire wrap as illustrated.
    Wrap lead to head of fly. Amount of lead is arbitrary. I personally like to leave it with spacing. This ends up imitating the segmented joints of a shrimp's body. Overlay the lead wrap by bringing your base thread forward to the head. Add as much thread wrap as you like. If you started with a colored thread you won't have to change spools and bobbin. Build a level head base for the wings and dumbell eyes. The blue tint is actually head cement added to the body. Krystal Flash and Flashabou comes in a wide range of solid as well as mixed colors. They explode with reflecting light and sparkle when underwater.
    Attach your first layer of body wing. I chose translucent mylar flashabou to match the transparent krill body. See photos in article. Add your second wing color if using two different colors. For most of my flies I use this 7/32" plated lead eye at just under .04 oz. For shallower conditions I drop down one more size. Holding the eyes in place, use a figure eight wrapping pattern and adjust the position to keep it square until you have six tight cross wraps. From there add additional cross wraps to build dimension to the head.
    After the eyes are securely attached I'll add more wraps around the head area to give it better shape. Then finish the tie with 6 to 8 snug half hitches, clip the thread and add head cement to all the thread. I've also used gold dumbell eyes with insets so you can add prismatic 3D eyes for some additional "realism." These are lighter weight than the 7/32" size but I compensate by using a bit more lead wrap on the hook shank so the performance remains the same. Because sockeye also feed on sandlance the longer streamers are designed to imitate that prey. Let your creativity run wild in your configuration and color selection. One thing you should do is take a black felt marker and color the ends of the dumbell eyes black so it looks like a real shrimp eye which is black.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Awesome! Thanks...sent you a PM

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsupafly View Post
    Yeah I've seen a couple of his videos. Pretty cool stuff. I got a reply on a Facebook message from him indicating the Kenai Krill Killer tutorial will be put back up online in the near future on his fly fishing site. I'm not sure what site that is, but he said he'll announce it on the Alaska Outdoor Journal Facebook page when he does put it up.
    I've have been messaging back and forth with him and he said shaortly all the instructions will be online. his other website is, http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/ . Enjoy!!!!!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    That's good news! I guess I'll just wait for the instructions to come back online

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Sent you a PM

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsupafly View Post
    That's good news! I guess I'll just wait for the instructions to come back online

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Any word on the instructions coming online? I'm wanting to start tying some of these up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •