Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Sleeping on a boat

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    138

    Default Sleeping on a boat

    Ok, boredom has officially set in. This is when I become the most dangerous with my boat. That it is.... when I have too much time to think about things and how I might reconfigure to improve on things. That being said, as the family grows, not in numbers but in size, we find it more difficult to sleep comfortably on the boat. I have been giving some thought to designing some hanging bunks in the cabin area. It goes without saying but, I would prefer something that is easily assembled as well as easy to store. Not asking for much, right! I have seen a few boats with the bunks in the cuddy or vberth, but never in the house itself. Unfortunately my vberth does not offer enough head room to stack another in there. I would be most interested in seeing what others have come up with, in an effort to meet their sleeping needs. I realize that it is specific to any particular boat and its configuration, however most of us boaters do have a lot in common. I would like to find a concept/design and modify it to meet my needs. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance. And with any luck this thread will help pass some time. The good news is we are gaining daylight.

  2. #2

    Default

    If you have a canvas camper back, sleep on sleeping pads right on the cockpit deck. Otherwise, the cabin will have to do.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage and Seward
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Get a bigger boat. We went from a 26 Tolly to a 38 footer when the kids were getting bigger and was the best thing we ever did. Almost 15 years cruising PWS on that boat with some of our best memories of family and friends getting together on the water for cruising, fishing, hunting, etc. It truly was our cabin on the water with every amenity you needed to be comfortable with the family. The Seattle boat show is coming up in a couple of weeks to see what's available - we're headed down. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Get a bigger boat. We went from a 26 Tolly to a 38 footer when the kids were getting bigger and was the best thing we ever did. Almost 15 years cruising PWS on that boat with some of our best memories of family and friends getting together on the water for cruising, fishing, hunting, etc. It truly was our cabin on the water with every amenity you needed to be comfortable with the family. The Seattle boat show is coming up in a couple of weeks to see what's available - we're headed down. Good luck!
    FW- I like the way you think, however I have 2 in college right now, which has impacted the boat fund. So trying to figure the best way to make do with what I have for a while.

    thx

  5. #5
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    What kind of boat?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    ...giving some thought to designing some hanging bunks in the cabin area.
    No pics and I don't even recall the type of boat, but I came across a guy a few years back who solved the same problem with some stacking bunks from Cabelas intended for tent use. Fold and stow in the day, unfold and use at night. Didn't look too close, but the bunks were along the lines of these. If your cabin has the floor space, that would be one way around the sleeping arrangements.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm solving this problem in Feb. by putting a full camper back over the rear deck of Lobo Del Mar. I already have a folding queen cot with an airbed that fits cross wise between the sides and folds up to fit in a fish hold in the rear deck with a couple folding chairs. I think I'll also be able to get unused parts of the camper back in the same hold. I'll have a drop curtain made to form a private space at the stern. At that point we can sleep 5 adults with some room and comfort. Hang the drop curtain and open the head door (its outside,Hewescraft) and I'll have an enclosed shower stall with heat from the head on the self draining deck. I'll post pictures around the end of Feb. when I get the boat back to the shop. Silverstreak just put a similar canvas back on a similar boat.

    If I were putting a hanging bunk over the bunk formed by the dinette when it is down, I'd probably use a single hanging "porta ledge" that rock climbers use on vertical wall climbs. These look like they would be easy to adapt for this kind of use.

  8. #8
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    If I were putting a hanging bunk over the bunk formed by the dinette when it is down, I'd probably use a single hanging "porta ledge" that rock climbers use on vertical wall climbs. These look like they would be easy to adapt for this kind of use.
    I did this very thing...sorta...when I had my Hewescraft. I used one of these. I bolted above the port side window and held the other side up with ratchet straps. You could lower the "strapped" side to sleep in and cinch it up and out of the way to travel. It doubled as a storage area as well. Rifles and other gear stowed there great.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  9. #9
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Hammocks are another option if you have solid enough places to install eyebolts that can take the weight. I'm not a fan of them for sleeping, but some don't mind them at all.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I appreciate the ideas guys. I will keep working on it.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    I appreciate the ideas guys. I will keep working on it.
    Pictures to follow this weekend... I have an aluminum Armstrong 28'

    The bow on the Armstrong is not as deep as a glacier craft. Spoiled One has drop down bunks in the V berth. I couldn't do that.

    Our head is on the rear port side as well as the drop down dinette. Installed in the head wall are fabricated receiver tubes for bunk poles. The mount is reinforced. The two poles support a bunk. At the front of the cabin are chain plates that support a removable receiver bracket that supports the opposite side. The bunk is almost 7.5' long and it is 30" wide. It is very sturdy and doesn't sway.

    The only downside is that poles have to be stored on the cabin roof.

    So in addition to lowering the dinette, it is another project to get ready. My twins are only 5 right now, but the drop down bunk is ready for one of them when they start complaining.

  12. #12

    Default

    spoiled one,
    Do you have a pic of your removable bunks in your cuddy?
    I'm having bayweld construct a 32 x 10 and didn't want permanent bunks in the cuddy. Julie gets clastrophobic. Cuddy is going to be deep enough to stand up in.
    dominic

  13. #13
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    spoiled one,
    Do you have a pic of your removable bunks in your cuddy?
    I'm having bayweld construct a 32 x 10 and didn't want permanent bunks in the cuddy. Julie gets clastrophobic. Cuddy is going to be deep enough to stand up in.
    dominic
    Here you go:



    I put a thermarest sleeping pad on the cot and this is my preferred bunk. I am 6'6" 220 pounds and fit fine. I like them better than permanent bunks. Stuff won't roll out of the cots like a fixed bunk.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  14. #14

    Default

    that's perfect and exactly what I was thinking of. Did you have alaska tent and tarp build the canvas bunks?
    Dominic

  15. #15
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    that's perfect and exactly what I was thinking of. Did you have alaska tent and tarp build the canvas bunks?
    Dominic
    I believe that Kevin's Upholstery out in the valley did all of the upholstery. You are welcome to come and take a look in person if you would like. I need an excuse to run the espar anyways.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  16. #16
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Here you go:



    I put a thermarest sleeping pad on the cot and this is my preferred bunk. I am 6'6" 220 pounds and fit fine. I like them better than permanent bunks. Stuff won't roll out of the cots like a fixed bunk.
    Great photo! I can't believe how young your kids are in that photo. Has it really been that long?

  17. #17
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Great photo! I can't believe how young your kids are in that photo. Has it really been that long?
    That was spring of 2008. The cool thing is they still think hanging out as a family on the boat is cool. I hope that will continue as they enter middle school and on to high school.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  18. #18

    Default

    I'd appreciate that when the build is progressing. I'm sure I'll be changing things as we go. Wont get it until late July though. I can't believe I survived last summer without a boat. I thought it was going to take all summer to sell and ended up selling it in two days...

  19. #19
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    I'd appreciate that when the build is progressing. I'm sure I'll be changing things as we go. Wont get it until late July though. I can't believe I survived last summer without a boat. I thought it was going to take all summer to sell and ended up selling it in two days...
    I was boatless for 2.5 years. Those were two long seasons!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  20. #20
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    I have the same setup as Spoiled_One. You really get a lot of room when you put the cots back. This is a pic when I was watching a movie with the kids. Sorry for the crappy pic quality. It makes me look better anyway.

    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •