Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Information on upcoming sheep proposals - suggested options for BOG

Default Information on upcoming sheep proposals - suggested options for BOG

Wanted to get this out there, just posted to the BOG website:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...ng_Options.pdf

This is one of the RCs (Record Copies) for the upcoming Juneau meeting starting tomorrow:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...meeting=juneau

Encourage folks to read the other RCs on above link.

This hopefully will provoke some good discussion here. Please check the links.

RC007 by Heimer...good review of all the things "wrong" with last summer's sheep hunter survey.

...having heard from the orchestrated opinion of the uninformed, it seems likely the next step would be to hear from the “informed,” which may represent the “silent or un-sampled majority.”

Harsh words, but a valid point about randum survey sampling and creating policy from it.

Thanks for sharing this, Mark. On a first quick read, it seems that Heimer knocked it out of the park in his analysis. So many of the perceived problems (increased hunter numbers, etc.) do not in fact exist.

As for Spraker's listed options, there are some interesting ones there.

This is going to a mess!......I would have to agree with Heimer's comments tho, he's spot on!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Thanks for posting Mark.......I've gotta digest this a bit but it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings to see 2nd degree of kindred go back to 1st degree as we had some years back.

Spraker's

****"Suggested Approach for Addressing Sheep Proposals"

Options for nonresident hunters:

3. NOTE: Nonresidents hunting on National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife
    Service managed lands are already limited due to the guide concession program, so
    this proposal does not address those hunters and hunt areas.****

Really...the BOG is taking the position that they will consider all kinds of limits on all other sheep hunters....but the BOG will NOT consider reducing non-resident sheep hunting opportunity on USF&W or NPS lands because these lands are already limited....

And then BOG will consider the "Options for resident hunters" opportunity to hunt on USFW and NPS lands is to change the resident hunting season from a general season harvest ticket to a limited draw.

WOW..the most special interest group of all the special interest groups to dodge the bullet of diminished sheep hunting opportunity is going to be the guides who operate on USF&W and NPS lands....and Spraker just rubbed it in our faces like it's already been decided!!

So...sheep hunting just got a LOT better (than it already is) for non residents and guides who operate on USFW and NPS lands...

At this point resident hunters should be feeling very blessed that Guides didn't get their concessions on state or BLM lands!

Time to gather the FACTS, contemplate and make sound comments to the BOG and prepare for addressing my concerns to the BOG in person. Hope to see many of you there.

This RC from F&G was recently posted:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...ve_Summary.pdf

Also this summary from Dr. Brinkman on the survey he conducted:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/regprocess/gameboard/pdfs/2014-2015/Southeast_01_08_15/rcs/rc011_Dr_Brinkman_Sheep_Summary.pdf

The BOG work session in Juneau is currently underway and sheep issues are on the agenda later in the day. You can listen online here, scroll down to the audio link:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

Thanks for posting this Mark. The Board will likely be constituting a new Board generated sheep proposal(s) at this meeting in Juneau and putting it out there for public comment over the next month or so. It will certainly be important for sheep hunters to comment on this issue. Existing and forthcoming proposals are sweeping. Heimer's comments are spot on per the sheep survey - Mr. Brinkman was told during several work sessions that the initial problems suggested were hunters' gut reactions, and they may not be accurate representations of numbers and trends. It was unfortunate the issues were not researched a little more thoroughly before the survey was completed. The timeline was not rushed. Months passed between the the study initiation and when the survey went out.
    Hunt with your kids, not for your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    Time to gather the FACTS, contemplate and make sound comments to the BOG and prepare for addressing my concerns to the BOG in person. Hope to see many of you there.

Just to make the facts a bit easier for people to see, I posted some of the proposed concepts from Spraker.

"Sweeping Changes" is an apt description for some of these.

Yk

Holy cow, I don't like what I'm seeing here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When discussing Sprakers RC comments, you also need to review Donald Lee III's comments in PC005. Starts at Page 10 of this link. Note the similarities.

I'm not a sheep hunter really, but I don't like the idea of the resident regs at all.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Wow this is all very interesting. Again, Heimers comments were spot on.

Some of the potential aircraft restrictions seem a little harsh, but thats just me.

I don't like how they are going to cut the season down into 3 segments. seems to be a lot of RED TAPE ahead.

In the past two sheep seasons, i have had two hunts significantly affected(ruined) by clowns in super cubs. I think restrictions for how aircraft are used for sheep hunting are long overdue. The same day airborne law as currently written is not effective, i think 48 hours + is more appropriate.

These proposals seem convoluted, messy and scary! What if you and your hunting partner have different last names in different sections of the alphabet? Will you no longer be able to hunt sheep together? Yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    In the past two sheep seasons, i have had two hunts significantly affected(ruined) by clowns in super cubs. I think restrictions for how aircraft are used for sheep hunting are long overdue. The same day airborne law as currently written is not effective, i think 48 hours + is more appropriate.

It's a shame you had problems but changing how airplanes are utilized isn't going to make things better.

But...changing something as innocuous as how we use aircraft is somehow supposed to satisfy the public that the BOG is doing something and why you see that stuff on Sprakers list.

Strange that Spraker noted yesterday that none of the existing proposals considered "airplane" restrictions while admitting to taking good notes at the secret (closed door) meeting last week in Anchorage implying he has some confidence that a Board generated proposal to restrict aircraft has some public support.....and it might just work to provide the illusion the BOG is listening to resident hunters.....even though none of the proposals submitted by the public asked for restricted airplane use.

A quick recap for those that didn't tune into the meeting.

The proposals presented by the BOG (shown above) are nothing more than throwing some chit at the wall and seeing what sticks. The BOG is interested in public comment on these proposals and is open to other ideas. The intend to review the comments at the February meeting and discuss further options at the meeting. They hope that they can come up with a better proposal at that time, then put it out again or public comment and possibly adopt a regulation change at the March meeting...

The BOG (specifically Spraker) was adamant about not going into this too fast, or with wide sweeping changes. He mentioned that a planning group may be warranted in lieu of the board and public kicking around ideas. This could take another year or more to come up with a plan.

Items discussed...

The main issue as the board understands it, behind all the proposals, is to reduce crowding. Be it to reduce NR hunters, start seasons ealier, etc.

There is no biological concern for over harvest, or diminishing availability of rams. Anecdotal evidence by sheep hunters doesn't seem to match the harvest statistics.

Resident hunters make up about 80% of all hunters, cutting NR back to 10% of the total won't solve the crowding problem... we'd still have 90% of the hunters in the field.

50% of the harvest happens the first 9-10 days and 60% by day 14. The assumption is that hunter numbers match percent of harvest. There is no way to know because HT don't specify dates hunted. I would presume the total number of hunters to be higher than harvest rates considering the harvest rates of fly in verses walk in hunters.

Next of kin hunters are estimated to be about 25% of all NR hunters, again no way to really track it.

According to the survey, almost all resident hunters want to hunt sheep every year.

I'm sure there is something I'm leaving out, as I was only able to catch about 3/4 of the discussion.

I see the board moving towards some sort of mechanism to reduce crowding, but not necessarily limit opportunity/harvest. We may not get to hunt the opening week every year but will still get to hunt. They would love to spread the pressure out somehow.

Thanks for the review Bambi.

To be clear, if new regulations were adopted at the March meeting they wouldnt be coming into affect until the 2016 season correct?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast