Thread: New Fly Reel suggestions

Default New Fly Reel suggestions

if you had to pick between these fly reels, which one would you take? looking at the $100-150ish range..i need something with nice drag that can handle those hogs on the kenai in late july so far, all my research is leaning towards the lamson konic size 3.5 or 4.

Lamson Konic
    Echo Ion
    Sage 2200

I haven't used any of those reels specifically but im inclined to agree with you on the lamson. I know they make nice upper end reels and have good customer service. In that price range alot of guys on the forum seem to go bat s**t crazy over the okuma. I am a big fan of nautilus, and think the NV is the best reel you can buy aside from maybe a Mako. However, there considerably more than the budget you stated. What weight fly rod are you putting it on? Im assuming your chasing reds in late july? If you going after a kenai king, I would suggest saving up for a better reel as it takes a long time to catch one and would break my heart losing one to lower quality equipment. Good luck

Its pairing up with a 8wt for sockeye.

I have an Echo Ion, and I think it is a good reel for the price, but I only use them in 5/6 wt for trout on the kenai. I was looking at a Lamson as well (Guru), but if you really want a good reel for reds and can spend about 100 dollars more, Solitude makes a great durable reel with an excellent drag with little to no start up on the drag and it is smooth all the way through the run. It is kind of heavy to allow it to handle the abuse. Fishgod could tell you all you want to know about them, and in my opinion are worth the money if you can spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I have an Echo Ion, and I think it is a good reel for the price, but I only use them in 5/6 wt for trout on the kenai. I was looking at a Lamson as well (Guru), but if you really want a good reel for reds and can spend about 100 dollars more, Solitude makes a great durable reel with an excellent drag with little to no start up on the drag and it is smooth all the way through the run. It is kind of heavy to allow it to handle the abuse. Fishgod could tell you all you want to know about them, and in my opinion are worth the money if you can spend it.
    Don't lie, tell the truth. This is what kenaibow fan really uses

1113024610195_500X500[1].jpg
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Don't lie, tell the truth. This is what kenaibow fan really uses

1113024610195_500X500[1].jpg

Well…….now the cat is out of the bag……….. lol

From your list, I'd go with the Konic. Solid reel, very good drag. It can deal with a red that goes sideways in current without slipping and stuttering. 3.5 is plenty big.

Although if you are going for style, rock that Barbie rod.

Scott

I would say the best reel overall is the Konic, they have the same drag as the more expensive reels in the Lamson series.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    From your list, I'd go with the Konic. Solid reel, very good drag. It can deal with a red that goes sideways in current without slipping and stuttering. 3.5 is plenty big.

Although if you are going for style, rock that Barbie rod.

Scott
    I saw all three up close at bass pro tonight and from chatting it up with the store rep, I think the lamson will be my reel of choice. I must admit that thing is ugly looking. The size 4 is only $109 online

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    I saw all three up close at bass pro tonight and from chatting it up with the store rep, I think the lamson will be my reel of choice. I must admit that thing is ugly looking. The size 4 is only $109 online
    Whatever reel you get, make sure it has a lifetime warranty.Lamson makes great reels. I've been using the Velocity for years and it's a great reel. The one problem with the Konic is it does not have a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Konic does not have a warranty.
    Yes it does:

The Waterworks-Lamson warranty

Our warranty is valid for the lifetime of the original purchaser of this reel against any defect in material or workmanship. This warranty applies to parts and labor, and does not cover damage due to misuse, improper maintenance or modification. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement at our option. We will fix and ship your reel promptly so that you may enjoy fishing with your Waterworks-Lamson reel.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    if you had to pick between these fly reels, which one would you take? looking at the $100-150ish range..i need something with nice drag that can handle those hogs on the kenai in late july so far, all my research is leaning towards the lamson konic size 3.5 or 4.

Lamson Konic
    Echo Ion
    Sage 2200
    From your list, I'd vote for the lamson. Can't speak for the Ion and am not much a fan of Sage reels. I have a Konik 4 and it has performed good for sockeye. It is pretty heavy though.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Yes it does:

The Waterworks-Lamson warranty

Our warranty is valid for the lifetime of the original purchaser of this reel against any defect in material or workmanship. This warranty applies to parts and labor, and does not cover damage due to misuse, improper maintenance or modification. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement at our option. We will fix and ship your reel promptly so that you may enjoy fishing with your Waterworks-Lamson reel.
    I just called the Lamson warranty department and the Konic does have a lifetime warranty. I was given bad information from one of the local fly-shops concerning the konic.

The konic is a good reel. We run them on our guide rods for reds so they can handle a lot of abuse. The only problem I've seen with them is the drag will get water logged and start slipping if you are not careful.

The Konic can be had for $82.99 right now:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...ng/LMS0018-TWO

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    The Konic can be had for $82.99 right now:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...ng/LMS0018-TWO
    I filled out the order form but noticed the total came out to $118 shipped. I'm going to pony up 100 more and grab the shiny guru

I don't know where your located and if you have a preference or not but cabela's and bass pro do free shipping to the store.

And please don't act like I brought either of those two places up in an open form………. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I don't know where your located and if you have a preference or not but cabela's and bass pro do free shipping to the store.

And please don't act like I brought either of those two places up in an open form………. LOL
    I'm in Anc. That's stranged because the quote was $118 shipped on my phone app but when I did it again on my laptop it's now $82.99 plus $6.99 shipping. I was getting ready to head out to bass pro to buy the guru but couldn't pass up on that sweat deal and ordered the konic 4. Thanks for the link to that deal.

I wonder if the konic can be painted