CONTACTS:
    ADFG - Joe Meehan
    Statewide Program Coordinator
    Lands and Refuge Program
    (907) 267-2281

Alaska State Troopers – Megan Peters
    Public Information Officer
    (907) 269-5413

Subcontractor Convicted, Fined $1,000 for Illegal Dumping on State Game Refuge

(Wasilla) – A Wasilla subcontractor has discovered that laws protecting Alaska wildlife refuges from illegal dumping are taken seriously and that the state will pursue and prosecute those who dump trash in or vandalize infrastructure on public lands.
    Ian Beall, 20, pleaded guilty in Anchorage district court on December 22, 2014, to dumping a large amount of trash – including discarded roofing materials – in the recently cleaned-up Goose Bay State Game Refuge southwest of Wasilla. He was sentenced to pay a $1,000 fine and serve 20 hours of community service picking up trash in Goose Bay and the nearby Palmer Hay Flats state game refuges.
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game recently spent more than $100,000 cleaning up the Goose Bay refuge and fixing its roads, parking areas and trails. Since 2010, more than 100 tons of refuse have been removed including junk cars, hazardous materials and discarded household appliances.

Beall was tracked down and charged by Alaska Wildlife Troopers in early November through evidence gathered and provided by refuge staff.
    “The Wildlife Troopers enthusiastically jumped right on this,” said Joe Meehan, Fish and Game’s Lands and Refuge Program coordinator. He also praised refuge staff for conducting surveillance and assisting in the investigation.
    Located at the end of Knik-Goose Bay Road southwest of Wasilla, Goose Bay is bordered to the south by Knik Arm and to the north and west by Point MacKenzie Road. Previously the location of a Nike Missile site that was eventually abandoned, the refuge’s road entrance received decades of abuse including vehicle burning, dumping, unregulated target shooting, and vandalism. In recent years, the entrance has been cleaned up by the department and its partners and is now a popular destination for hunters, birders and other outdoor recreationists.

“With help from the Alaska National Guard and volunteers, we’ve removed 107 tons of trash, including about 75 vehicles, 40 car batteries and other hazardous materials from Goose Bay,” said Meehan. In addition to improving road access and parking, recent cleanup efforts have aimed to mitigate lead deposits that remain in the refuge from years of target shooting.

Meehan was disappointed, but not surprised when the heaps of roofing materials and, more recently, a discarded dryer and washing machine were found dumped in the refuge parking area.
    “It takes months and years to change the ‘culture of use’ of an area,” said Meehan, “but we’ll get there.”

Meanwhile, costs associated with cleaning up illegally dumped trash and repairing vandalism take away from funds available for improvements that would otherwise benefit refuge users.
    Discarded construction materials and other refuse statewide should be deposited at local or borough landfills or refuse transfer sites. Wasilla and Palmer area residents can dispose of solid waste at Central Landfill (861-7600 or http://www.matsugov.us/publicworks/solid-waste) located off the Palmer-Wasilla Highway at 1201 N. 49th State Street.
    Wasilla

This makes me sick so many people help out to clean these places up but you still get a few that do not give a hoot they should set up a better camera system so it would be easier to catch these people and make them pay.

“With help from the Alaska National Guard and volunteers, we’ve removed 107 tons of trash, including about 75 vehicles, 40 car batteries and other hazardous materials from Goose Bay"
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is ridiculous

they removed a simular amount from Reflection Lake a few years ago, and a lot from Cottonwood Creek area also. Bud
    Wasilla

I wish they would charge these people bigger fines. 1k really isn't a deter rant. I bet if the fine were 100k and they caught a couple of these idiots and imposed it that would help slow it down. 20 hours community service is a joke too. A normal misdemeanor gets 40.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Just curious... what does the landfill (which is just a few miles down the road from KGB) charge to dump off a truck load of construction debris (like roofing materials) at their facility? Is there a higher charge for commercial operators to dump construction waste?

The fact that someone will go down a side road and dump junk in the ditch instead of going around the flippin' corner to the landfill makes me think that your landfill is being far too restrictive on letting people dump trash. I can only speak to our Kenai Peninsula Borough facilities (landfills & transfer sites), which are free of charge to the public, though they do have charges for commercial operators with large volumes (but those rates are quite low).

Maybe the problem lies with the availability and cost for folks to take out the trash. If you make it too painful or costly to get to the dump, people are going to take the easier route and dump in the ditch on backroads.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Just curious... what does the landfill (which is just a few miles down the road from KGB) charge to dump off a truck load of construction debris (like roofing materials) at their facility? Is there a higher charge for commercial operators to dump construction waste?

The fact that someone will go down a side road and dump junk in the ditch instead of going around the flippin' corner to the landfill makes me think that your landfill is being far too restrictive on letting people dump trash. I can only speak to our Kenai Peninsula Borough facilities (landfills & transfer sites), which are free of charge to the public, though they do have charges for commercial operators with large volumes (but those rates are quite low).

Maybe the problem lies with the availability and cost for folks to take out the trash. If you make it too painful or costly to get to the dump, people are going to take the easier route and dump in the ditch on backroads.

The dump is a pain in the ass. Load must be covered regardless of what it is (why the hell does a truck load of scrap wood need a tarp) and I believe the fee is between 10 and 20 depending on what you are dumping I believe.

Even though I hate to deal with the crabby ***** at the gate that is pissed my tarp isnt on right I would still rather do that than be the jerk dumping garbage in MY rec area that I have to see everyday. Pain or no you're a jack ass that deserves a rap on the head if you're dumping trash in the woods.

So how much do they charge if you don't have a tarp over the load vs having a tarp over the load? Seems to me that if your load is secured so that it doesn't blow out the truck (all that's required per state law) then it's none of the business of the landfill as to how you manage that, unless they are charging different fees based on how you load your truck.

The scale attendants at the KPB landfill in Soldotna don't give a second glance as to how you secure your load. I use a ratchet strap to hold all my trash cans against the cab and a bungee over the top of each can to hold the lid on. Not a problem. They smile and hand me a card so they can track my outbound weight to my inbound weight. And on the way out, they give each of my dogs a biscuit and wish us a nice day. In and out in less than 5 minutes every time. And there is no fee for household waste.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    The dump is a pain in the ass. Load must be covered regardless of what it is (why the hell does a truck load of scrap wood need a tarp) and I believe the fee is between 10 and 20 depending on what you are dumping I believe.

Even though I hate to deal with the crabby ***** at the gate that is pissed my tarp isnt on right I would still rather do that than be the jerk dumping garbage in MY rec area that I have to see everyday. Pain or no you're a jack ass that deserves a rap on the head if you're dumping trash in the woods.
    The tarp requirement has got to be for the geniuses that flunked physics class and fail to understand that the bag of Christmas wrappings isn't going to stay in the back at 60 mph.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Im not saying I dont agree with any of the laws in place. I follow them and they are there for a reason. When I take my load I make sure its secure. What I am saying is that some of the people at the dump here in town have a snotty attitude and that may be a deterrent for people to take their trash there. I was chewed out because the light at the scale doesn't work. I held the line up because I was waiting for it to turn green once.

It is NOT a valid excuse but, as you proposed JOAT, something must be making these idiots want to dump their garbage illegally. I've yet to run into a dump attendant up here having a good day. Maybe they got turned back a few times or maybe their brains just dont work. Im not sure, either way it needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    something must be making these idiots want to dump their garbage illegally..
    Yeah, they are lazy SOB's that would rather just dump stuff where it is convenient/free for them and let others deal with it

I found 3 addresses in the trash in my subdivision recently. All turned over to the Troopers. I made 1 phone call to the dumpers mother. Am now sending out letters to the losers.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Troopers may take very solid evidence to the DA sometimes only to have it tossed out. Have experienced same. Not saying it is not worth an effort.
    Polite letters, etc. to the perps may actually be more effective percentage-wise. Hard to say. How about flyers posted in public.
    (Legal disclaimer - This is not advice, engage at your own risk and discretion.)

One sure thing is that 'edmucation' is lacking. We are sick puppies. Support educators, parents, and so on. The trendy Poo pooling of science is zero help on this issue, additionally.

Stop voting for unintelligent/uncaring lawmakers and 'leaders' - might help a bit, too.
    Good luck with that; sometimes we need personal growth and/or dire circumstances in order to identify worthwhile directions.

"Hey, where did all the fish, go .......?"
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBow View Post
    Yeah, they are lazy SOB's that would rather just dump stuff where it is convenient/free for them and let others deal with it
    Reminds me of that song 'Alice's Restaurant' by Arlo Guthrie...
    "Grin and Bear It"

I believe that every school should have a dedicated public area that they are responsible to maintain. Kinda like the DOT Adopt-A-Highway program, but an area close to the schools (primary target audience of elementary through middle school ages) where the kids are taken out under close supervision in the Fall and Spring to clean up trash and do other site improvements as directed by land managers. This gives the kids a first hand lesson about littering and trashing public property. You won't convert all the slobs, but you'll win over many of the indifferent. And it's the indifferent majority that allow the slob minority to thrive, IMHO.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!