Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I "MISS" Alaska, I remember the OLD Days We Had Winter..........????

Default I "MISS" Alaska, I remember the OLD Days We Had Winter..........????

Well, at least it has been easy on the Firewood inventory. I need to order more Chalks........

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/hop...ather/42058_pc

bears will be up and moving... I expect early hits on the barrel this year

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Yah. Palmer Creek Road is more of an ice rink than road. We walked through the Bertha Creek campground yesterday and saw a set of bear tracks in the tiny bit of snow covering the campground road.

So what you're saying AGL4now is you're going to have to start typing your annual BEARS ARE EVERYWHERE post a little bit earlier then usual?

Need more snow so that we can get out a 'play' !!!!!!

When................???

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Yah. Palmer Creek Road is more of an ice rink than road. We walked through the Bertha Creek campground yesterday and saw a set of bear tracks in the tiny bit of snow covering the campground road.

I have a set of gigantic brown bear tracks behind my house. Just spotted them a few days ago. In Nikiski.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    When................???
    Sunday 4 January. I'm not sure when the last snow was.

Yea, must be a tough winter to be in the snow plow business.

My son is driving the Alcan this week, and it's been 40 below the last two days. And the gas prices have not adjusted yet. He paid 75 bucks to fill up his small gas tank this AM..

But yea, not much of a Winter.. the frost is getting deep here...no snow cover. Water wells may heave in Spring...always fun.

Is the Kenai Peninsula (Less the Refuge) still open for Brown Bear......??????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is the Kenai Peninsula (Less the Refuge) still open for Brown Bear......??????
    No......was closed by EO Oct 21 peninsula wide.....

Kenai Peninsula Registration Brown Bear Hunt Closes October 21
    (Soldotna) – Registration brown bear hunt RB300 in Kenai Peninsula Game Management Units 7 and 15 will close
    by emergency order at 11:59 p.m.., October 21, 2014. The 2014 Peninsula-wide management objective is not to
    exceed 70 human-caused brown bear mortalities, including no more than 17 adult sows. Currently, the total reported
    number of human-caused mortalities for 2014 is 67 bears, including seven adult sows.
    Human-caused brown bear mortalities unrelated to hunting – including road kills, bears killed in defense of life or
    property, and animals taken illegally by poachers – historically occur on the Peninsula through October and, to a
    lesser extent, into November. The hunting season is being closed to avoid exceeding the management cap.
    “Closing this hunt at 67 bears will ensure that we have a safe buffer,” said Division of Wildlife Conservation Director
    Doug Vincent-Lang.
    The Alaska Board of Game raised Kenai Peninsula brown bear mortality caps in 2013, largely in response to
    testimony from many locals that brown bear nuisance issues and public safety were a concern. also in 2014,
    regulations allowed hunters with RB300 permits to harvest Peninsula brown bears during the spring hunting season
    at established black bear bait stations. Hunters were encouraged to take mature boars only.
    Early reports suggest management strategies are working to reduce nuisance brown bear complaints and non-
    hunting mortalities while maintaining hunting opportunity. Human-caused mortalities of adult brown bear sows
    remain well below the cap of 17, while non-hunting human-caused brown bear mortalities have been low – four
    bears total – well below recent averages.
    “Having fewer bears near town has led to fewer complaints,” said Kenai Area Wildlife Biologist Jeff Selinger. “That,
    combined with more people taking measures to manage attractants has led to fewer bear-human conflicts in
    residential areas.”
    For more information, contact Jeff Selinger at (907) 260-2905 or e-mail jeff.selinger@alaska.gov .
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hating the snowless winter, but hopeful that it might lead to a smokin' deal on a snowmachine.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    No......was closed by EO Oct 21 peninsula wide.....

Kenai Peninsula Registration Brown Bear Hunt Closes October 21
    (Soldotna) – Registration brown bear hunt RB300 in Kenai Peninsula Game Management Units 7 and 15 will close
    by emergency order at 11:59 p.m.., October 21, 2014. The 2014 Peninsula-wide management objective is not to
    exceed 70 human-caused brown bear mortalities, including no more than 17 adult sows. Currently, the total reported
    number of human-caused mortalities for 2014 is 67 bears, including seven adult sows.
    Human-caused brown bear mortalities unrelated to hunting – including road kills, bears killed in defense of life or
    property, and animals taken illegally by poachers – historically occur on the Peninsula through October and, to a
    lesser extent, into November. The hunting season is being closed to avoid exceeding the management cap.
    “Closing this hunt at 67 bears will ensure that we have a safe buffer,” said Division of Wildlife Conservation Director
    Doug Vincent-Lang.
    The Alaska Board of Game raised Kenai Peninsula brown bear mortality caps in 2013, largely in response to
    testimony from many locals that brown bear nuisance issues and public safety were a concern. also in 2014,
    regulations allowed hunters with RB300 permits to harvest Peninsula brown bears during the spring hunting season
    at established black bear bait stations. Hunters were encouraged to take mature boars only.
    Early reports suggest management strategies are working to reduce nuisance brown bear complaints and non-
    hunting mortalities while maintaining hunting opportunity. Human-caused mortalities of adult brown bear sows
    remain well below the cap of 17, while non-hunting human-caused brown bear mortalities have been low – four
    bears total – well below recent averages.
    “Having fewer bears near town has led to fewer complaints,” said Kenai Area Wildlife Biologist Jeff Selinger. “That,
    combined with more people taking measures to manage attractants has led to fewer bear-human conflicts in
    residential areas.”
    For more information, contact Jeff Selinger at (907) 260-2905 or e-mail jeff.selinger@alaska.gov .

Hmmmm... Are u sure bout that? I just got my brown bear tag. Remember, it is now 2015. New year, new season? Guess I'll have to give Jeff a call.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Hmmmm... Are u sure bout that? I just got my brown bear tag. Remember, it is now 2015. New year, new season? Guess I'll have to give Jeff a call.
    Well, don't know for sure, but would imagine the EO would mean closed till the new season Sept 1 2015.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

In the winter of 85-86 I was riding my motorcycle on the lake next to our house (with studs) well into February before it finally snowed. I remember huge rain storms in one of the winters in the late 70's, and several winters in the 80's. In fact, January rainfall was a normal pattern. It wasn't just two years ago Anchorage set a record snowfall. One thing is for sure about Alaska... winters are never the same.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

3 inches of snow sticikin' up this way......was an Xmas present from the sky I figure.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hating the snowless winter, but hopeful that it might lead to a smokin' deal on a snowmachine.
    I have been seeing some very good deals recently. One good thing I'm hoping comes from this snowless winter is less mosquitos at the GF's place on the lake this spring. Last summer was a Biblical plague.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    In the winter of 85-86 I was riding my motorcycle on the lake next to our house (with studs) well into February before it finally snowed. I remember huge rain storms in one of the winters in the late 70's, and several winters in the 80's. In fact, January rainfall was a normal pattern. It wasn't just two years ago Anchorage set a record snowfall. One thing is for sure about Alaska... winters are never the same.
    Folks have very short memories.
    As for me, I'm diggin' the not diggin'.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well, don't know for sure, but would imagine the EO would mean closed till the new season Sept 1 2015.......

Just got got word from Jeff selinger...... Brown bear season IS OPEN on the K Pen as of Jan 1st 2015. So if u have the legal pprwrk, take one. Happy hunting! (Refuge still closed. )
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Request you post that information by starting a NEW thread........It will get more eyeballs........And that is Great News.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Just got got word from Jeff selinger...... Brown bear season IS OPEN on the K Pen as of Jan 1st 2015. So if u have the legal pprwrk, take one. Happy hunting! (Refuge still closed. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast