Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we can't have nice things

Default Why we can't have nice things

I don't understand why people would put so much effort into being idiots.
    http://www.adn.com/article/20150106/...ka-game-refuge

Same type of person dumps things at Knik.
    Or trashes the shooting range there by leaving the empty shot up propane bottles and trash targets
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

The people who dump their trash out must be very low on the IQ scale. In all but a couple instances where I have found household trash dumped. there was enough info there to find the dumper. Just found someones Christmas trash last weekend complete with 'child support' documents and the packaging the gifts were mailed in. I turned it over to the Troopers.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Really sad that this goes on on a regular basis. I posted last summer about people who leave their garbage at their
    campsites. I think it is a result of people not wanting to "pay" to dump. I guess 6-7$ to dump after a weekend
    of camping are just too much out of the beer budget. A sad reality.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Really sad that this goes on on a regular basis. I posted last summer about people who leave their garbage at their
    campsites. I think it is a result of people not wanting to "pay" to dump. I guess 6-7$ to dump after a weekend
    of camping are just too much out of the beer budget. A sad reality.
    Taking trash to the transfer sights on the Kenai is FREE, and yet every back road has some losers trash scattered around on it. I'd like to see the $1000 fines handed out to the idiots who do this. Same for the ones who abandon automobiles. Of course they always say "I sold It" and to that, I say too bad. You should have filled out the bottom of the title and mailed it in, or had the buyer show you the new title in their name before you released the auto.

The magic word is people.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Taking trash to the transfer sights on the Kenai is FREE, and yet every back road has some losers trash scattered around on it. I'd like to see the $1000 fines handed out to the idiots who do this. Same for the ones who abandon automobiles. Of course they always say "I sold It" and to that, I say too bad. You should have filled out the bottom of the title and mailed it in, or had the buyer show you the new title in their name before you released the auto.
    The only thing I disagree with is the fine amount. I feel like $1,000 is a slap on the wrist for the mess these people leave. When I moved down here my wife had to make a dump run and when I asked her how much it was she said free! I instantly had flashbacks of all the garbage piles I have seen here and thought ***!!!

Some people live in trash. Look at their homes, cars and such. To them, trash is good. You may live near them, I do.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Only 20 hours of community service?
    I think 200 would be more appropriate.

I've been volunteering for 5 hours of roadway cleanup every spring for 15 years.

I once worked a job where we had to cleanup a few items from some condemned properties.
    It is amazing what people will live in and make their kids live in.
    One property had over 35 full size appliances in the front yard and holes in the upstairs kids bedrooms 20" across.
    We just had to remove the appliances so the Freon could be safely removed.
    While were removing the appliances the neighbors stopped by asking if they could have some of the garbage left behind.
    I couldn't believe the garbage items they hauled home.
    The Troopers do need to throw the book at these people and fine them to the max more often. If they got strict about it and prosecuted every time it might make people think twice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Only 20 hours of community service?
    I think 200 would be more appropriate.

I've been volunteering for 5 hours of roadway cleanup every spring for 15 years.
    You nailed it! And, thank you for volunteering.

I think the fines should be commensurate with the offense, and for this particular one $1000 doesn't seem anywhere near sufficient to act as a deterrent. But, the REAL lesson for *****holes like these would be to force them to spend THEIR time and energy picking up the trash of OTHER people, including *****holes like them.

What I would like to know is who the contractor and sub-contractor were! Yes the contractor cooperated with the investigators, but the sub is another story. Like many here, I have spent many hours in the last several years cleaning up trash that other have left behind in the Valley. $1000 and 20 hours is not even close to what it should be!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I once worked a job where we had to cleanup a few items from some condemned properties.
    It is amazing what people will live in and make their kids live in.
    I take it you've never heard of, or seen the tv show "Hoarders"....??? We catch it every once in awhile, but I can't watch it very long as it starts to make my stomach feel a little queezy.....

I started a thread on a Jeep forum years ago about littering. It was pretty amazing at some of the responses that came up. My personal favorite was:

This guy lived on a small dead end road with a number of neighbors. One day on the way to work he noticed something out off the side of the road that he hadn't seen before. He thought maybe it had blown out of a truck or something and on the way back home the people would see it and pick it up. Nope.... over the next few weeks the pile got bigger and bigger. Finally the guy went down and after going through the garbage found out who it was that was dumping it. On this little dead end road it wasn't hard to find out where the culprits resided. He then formulated a plan....

Over the next few months he watched as the now new garbage dump got bigger and bigger. Unknown to the culprits the man that found their garbage was in the construction biz and owner of some heavy equipment. Finally when the guy had had enough of looking at this now monster pile of trash, he promptly used his little tractor to load up his dump truck with the crap, drive up to the culprits house, back up, and precisely dump it all on their nice front lawn.

The owners of the trash never said a word......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You may blame your special interest lawmakers and the State for not having the necessitated (by aforementioned idiots) responsible management and enforcement levels in the Knik instance - as recommended by myriad very expensive publicly funded plans and recommendations from the many agencies involved over decades. Most signed by the State and beyond. Ignored, too.
    You may also be disappointed in a Superior Court judge that missed key points/documents a junior high kid could catch.
    All on paper.
    'We' voted most of them back in against own self interests. Call them for change.

Too bad things go this way even in areas recognized for their values over and over and with supposed higher levels of care. So goes politics, funding, etc.
    Action regarding idiots (at all levels), one bite at time, is a civic duty.

When and if I get to it, I'll post some recent photos - same ongoing issues as 20 yrs. ago.
    There is more interest in mega-projects than taking care of what we have and are blessed with.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I take it you've never heard of, or seen the tv show "Hoarders"....??? We catch it every once in awhile, but I can't watch it very long as it starts to make my stomach feel a little queezy.....

I started a thread on a Jeep forum years ago about littering. It was pretty amazing at some of the responses that came up. My personal favorite was:

This guy lived on a small dead end road with a number of neighbors. One day on the way to work he noticed something out off the side of the road that he hadn't seen before. He thought maybe it had blown out of a truck or something and on the way back home the people would see it and pick it up. Nope.... over the next few weeks the pile got bigger and bigger. Finally the guy went down and after going through the garbage found out who it was that was dumping it. On this little dead end road it wasn't hard to find out where the culprits resided. He then formulated a plan....

Over the next few months he watched as the now new garbage dump got bigger and bigger. Unknown to the culprits the man that found their garbage was in the construction biz and owner of some heavy equipment. Finally when the guy had had enough of looking at this now monster pile of trash, he promptly used his little tractor to load up his dump truck with the crap, drive up to the culprits house, back up, and precisely dump it all on their nice front lawn.

The owners of the trash never said a word......
    HaHa. Reminds me of a little trick I once heard of.....
    Seems this fella noticed all kind of dog poo piles near the condos community mail boxes which continued to grow in numbers all winter. It was visually evident that there were about 5 seperate dogs involved. (Amazing how evident each dogs duty was compiled.) At any rate, one day this guy catches this fella walking his dog and sees his dog drop the load, with the owner casually walking back home without 'Clean up on aisle two'. So this guy calls out to the fella, "hey, u gonna pick up after your dog?" And the fella says "yeah, I'm gonna go get a bag". Needless to say, the fella never comes back.
    A few days later, the same scene takes place. Only this time the guy watches which unit the fella enters with said dog. Ten, maybe 15 minutes later, no fella, and no 'clean up on aisle two'. So this witness guy takes the initiative in his own hands. He gets a 5 gallon bucket and hand picks every frozen turd the bucket will handle, hand carries it up the mans staircase, and knocks on the door. The dog walker refuses to answer his door. So the witness/dog poo picker dumps the entire contents onto the dog walkers welcome mat at his front stoop.
    (Sorry, but I just love that story!)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

It's a quality of life issue that I wish the State would take more seriously. Fine the crap out of the offenders. Abandoned vehicles? Registered owner gets a painful fine.
    We live in the most beautiful state in the Union. We should be proud, and it should stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It's a quality of life issue that I wish the State would take more seriously. Fine the crap out of the offenders.
    Now if we could only get the smokers to quit throwing their butts out their vehicle windows. It amazes me how these idiots can't use their own ashtrays.

Ever since, as a kid I found a cig butt in the gut of a nice rainbow I caught, it's always been a pet peeve of mine. Even when I was guiding I always told my hunters that I better not find any of those little candy bar wrappers on the ground......

I was on a job once where the smokers left a pile of cig butts in the smoking area on the ground.
    The boss found it and made just the smokers in the group draw straws and one of them picked up every single butt left out there.
    I wish these people would get all their own trash dumped in their own yard.
    That would be justice.
    I think $1,000 is a bit low for the fine. But in my opinion if they used it more often as in every instance they can it would change peoples attitude over time.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I was on a job once where the smokers left a pile of cig butts in the smoking area on the ground.
    The boss found it and made just the smokers in the group draw straws and one of them picked up every single butt left out there.
    I wish these people would get all their own trash dumped in their own yard.
    That would be justice.
    I think $1,000 is a bit low for the fine. But in my opinion if they used it more often as in every instance they can it would change peoples attitude over time.
    I've often wondered what would happen, if when I saw somebody throw a cig butt out their window, I wrote down the license plate number, picked up the butt, and gave it to the troopers or city cop and filed a complaint? You know that if they wanted they could get DNA off the butt and it'd be a done deal.

But I'm sure that would be too much to ask. Just think though if word got out that the police were going to ask drivers to start reporting butt throwers and it would be a $1000. fine for that butt.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    But I'm sure that would be too much to ask. Just think though if word got out that the police were going to ask drivers to start reporting butt throwers and it would be a $1000. fine for that butt.....
    Exactly! If they prosecuted every time much of this would go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast