Thread: Anchorage AC meeting

Default Anchorage AC meeting

Just a reminder that the Anchorage AC will be meeting tonight (Tuesday) at 6:30 pm at the hatchery on Post road. The proposal to stop the cow permits is one of the items on the agenda. Whether you are for them or against, come and make your voice be heard.

Oh, it was another winner of a meeting. 3/4 through meeting the secretary resigned in disgust at the antics of Steve Flory and left. Meeting started at 6:30 and closed at 12:00 midnight. Control escaped the chairman several times, and in the end the antlerless re-authorization was postponed for a later date.

Amazing. And the truth is, in the big picture across the state, the BOG does not care what the Anchorage AC thinks/votes. Truly a shame for most of the members mean well, are putting in the hours, and are actually open to dialogue. But hijacking is a Flory specialty, and until Anchorage hunters decide a change is needed, he will have carte blanche to run amok.

Flory Needs to GO!!!

What a travesty. What can be done?

What is the process to remove someone from the advisory board? It's time to start the process.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ocess.advisory

I think this is the best place to start looking into the committee member removal process. The Manuals, Rules and Forms tab has a lot of link. There has to be some pertinent information buried in there somewhere. I would think a call into the Southcentral regional coordinator would also yield some information.

The good news is the Flory's term is up this spring. From what I have read, it just comes down to who shows up at the meeting when the election is held to vote. Sounds like anyone present gets to vote, so if you have someone interested in taking the spot, have them and a good number of people supporting them show up to vote them in.

What I don't know is how they handle the specific positions during the elections. When say 4 spots are up for election, do they run individually or is it a mass vote and the highest 4 people get the spots? If that's the case, then you need to make sure that a person you want out, such as Flory in this case, is at least #5 in the voting. That would mean to ensure he is out, you would have to make sure to have 4 other people who you know will get more votes. It wouldn't do a lot of good to bring in 2 or 3 guys to fill some of the seats only to find out that Flory gets the next highest number of votes and still gets back in.

I may be wrong on some of this, just going by what I could dig up on it. If anyone knows differently or even can confirm what I posted above, please respond so we have the correct information.

Since the AC secretary resigned at this last meeting, there is one vacancy and I’m not sure if the AC will want to fill it immediately or wait until they have an election meeting which they have scheduled for April 7th and will be at BP Energy Center. Based on what I have experienced the last couple of years and when I participated 10+ years ago with some of the same members, I'm considering a run at it.

Based on the Below procedures, there are now 5 Openings to be filled at the next Election and the top vote getters will fill those spots. So bring at least 5 people to run... and lots of friends to vote.

====
    The public will be given at least 14 days prior notice of the election date, time and place of meeting.

The election meeting is called to order. Elections may take place at any time during the agenda as deemed by the chair.

1. Have people sign in as they come to the meeting and give them a ballot. I generally include on the ballot form the number of seats that are available (ie. “Vote for up to 5 people”.) All ballots are write-in only.
    2. Voting will begin to take place from the time the meeting is called to order until the election is closed.
    3. Open the floor for nominations (these need to be recorded on the Election Record form). A person running for membership must meet the qualifications as defined in 5AAC 96.040 which says, “To qualify for membership on a committee, a candidate must have knowledge of and experience with the fish and wildlife resources and their uses in the area, and have a reputation within the community consistent with the responsibilities of committee membership.”
    4. A motion to close nominations and a 2nd.
    5. Nominees will be permitted 3-5 minutes to speak at the discretion of the chair.
    6. Provide a location for each nominee to post one 8 ˝ x 11 inch personal information sheet (bio).
    7. There are 15 “at large” seats on the Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee unless specific seats are designated to a user group by the Joint Boards.
    8. Ties are settled by a coin flip.
    9. Vote and have people turn in their ballots.
    10. Tally the votes (a person who is running or related to someone who is running should not participate in tallying the votes). Record the vote tally by the nominees on the Election Record form.
    11. Record the members elected and their term ends date on the Election Record form.
    12. Have the newly elected members fill out the New or Re-elected Member form and turn them in.
    13. 1st and 2nd alternates may be chosen by committee after the election to serve a 12 month term or until the next annual election. 5 AAC 96.040 (e) (7)
    14. Alternates are always allowed to participate in debate, but vote only when full members are not present.
    15. Alternates can be removed by a reconsideration votes of committee (3/4 majority)
    16. When there is a vacancy on the committee, the chair will schedule an election for the next noticed meeting unless within 45 days of an annual election.
    17. The committee members will hold officer elections with the new members seated (if needed). Officers are elected for two year terms, so this is not always needed. Record the results of the officer election on the Election Record form (at bottom).

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    3. Open the floor for nominations (these need to be recorded on the Election Record form). A person running for membership must meet the qualifications as defined in 5AAC 96.040 which says, “To qualify for membership on a committee, a candidate must have knowledge of and experience with the fish and wildlife resources and their uses in the area, and have a reputation within the community consistent with the responsibilities of committee membership.”
    It sounds like #3 would disqualify Mr Flory. His reputation is certainly not consistent with carrying out the duties of a public servant.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by unk View Post
    Control escaped the chairman several times,
    As a former AC member (not in Anch.) I'd say the problem is more the chair and less any of the other members.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Flory has proven himself time and again to be a detriment to the AC. So why wait and hope he is removed through attrition? Why not try and put the wheels in motion to have him removed prior to the end of his term?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Flory has proven himself time and again to be a detriment to the AC. So why wait and hope he is removed through attrition? Why not try and put the wheels in motion to have him removed prior to the end of his term?
    With his term only lasting for another 3 months or so, I would be surprised if anything could happen quick enough that could get him removed prior to that. You are probably only looking at maybe two more meetings before election time (assuming 1/month).