Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Good Water Purifier for the field.

Default Recommend Good Water Purifier for the field.

As the thread states I am looking for a good portable water purifier so I dont have to pack in water, boil it or use iodine tablets from here on out. Can anyone recommend a good one that will hold up? Thanks in advance.

http://www.backcountry.com/katadyn-b...p-water-filter I've used one of these for 3 years now on my annual float trip and on Kodiak for deer. Way better than constantly pumping water. I still take a pump for the pack but for camp one of these and a 2 gallon jug.

I used to do a lot of long distance hiking, for me the Katadyn is the best and rugged. Lots of thru-hikers use them.

I've been using MSR Waterworks filters for years with good success. They're light-weight and you can screw a Nalgene water bottle right to the base, reducing the possibility of kicking the bottle over while you're trying to fill it. It's a side-pumper, which seems to work better from an ergonomic standpoint than the end-pumpers (which leave you looking for a rock to brace them on). You could go even lighter with the MSR Mini-Works; a scaled-down version of the Waterworks filter.

If you have three or more people in your group, I would go with a bulk gravity-feed filter system that uses a suspended dry bag for the raw water. I've been using those for many years on guided hunts and they're simple and move a lot of water fairly quickly. We usually get about three gallons in ten or fifteen minutes.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

For a backpackable filter, I've used the MSR and Sweatwater and prefer the Sweatwater over all other filters. It's lasted for years and stays at a higher flow than the others.

But I use a gravity filter for larger groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    http://www.backcountry.com/katadyn-b...p-water-filter I've used one of these for 3 years now on my annual float trip and on Kodiak for deer. Way better than constantly pumping water. I still take a pump for the pack but for camp one of these and a 2 gallon jug.
    X2, the only way to go! Sweet setup.

Casper50 nailed it IMO I have used them year in and year out and they have never failed me even in Cold Weather. No mechanical parts to break and almost no weight the "Cats Meow" IMO. It is also the water filtration system I provide for my clients who rent package deals and I have never had a negative comment provided concerning it.

I've mostly used the MSR Miniworks and like it a lot, but I've also started carrying the Steripen when weight is more of an issue. I used the Steripen while sheep hunting this year, and will likely do so in the future.

http://sawyer.com/products/type/squeeze/

I have a katadyne older model, but this year looked for something smaller and lighter. Turns out this thing is great and cheap (comparatively speaking) also. I was/am impressed.

Has anyone used one of the Lifestraw products? I haven't used them and am curious if they are worth the ten bucks or so they cost.

Take a look at the Platypus Base Camp. I use it with my larger groups because it is a gravity feed and it punches 4l or water in about 10 mins!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Unit 23-Kotz
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    907-259-4290

With the amount of water/rain we have here in Southeast, I never really have to filter out of a dirty, muddy water source. I have a CamelBak All Clear UV purifying water bottle and love it. Your water source has to be cleanish (not loaded with detritus and dirt) to begin with unless you have the prefilter which I do not. Like I said though for me, that is never a problem in SEAK. Fill up the bottle, turn on UV, agitate for 1 minute, and you have 750ml of purified drinking water. It won't kill the baby water beetles...but hey they aren't going to hurt anything! Only takes me a few minutes to fill up my Platypus bag, and off I go. Way faster than using a filter. The battery gives me many more fills than I would ever use in a trip and is rechargeable.

It's not the best choice for everyone's situation, but it's perfect for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    http://sawyer.com/products/type/squeeze/

I have a katadyne older model, but this year looked for something smaller and lighter. Turns out this thing is great and cheap (comparatively speaking) also. I was/am impressed.
    Bullelkklr- I tried the Sawyer squeeze filter on a Brooks Range trip. Pain in the ass from the start. Hard to fill a bag in a pool. Pain to squeeze the bag. Only used clear water, but the filter speed deteriorated quickly. The bag got holes. The filter attachment leaked. I don't recommend the product.

Quote Originally Posted by AKChester View Post
    Bullelkklr- I tried the Sawyer squeeze filter on a Brooks Range trip. Pain in the ass from the start. Hard to fill a bag in a pool. Pain to squeeze the bag. Only used clear water, but the filter speed deteriorated quickly. The bag got holes. The filter attachment leaked. I don't recommend the product.
    I also tried the sawyer on two hunts this year and I was impressed. The first was a 5 day hunt and the 2nd was a 10 day fly-in hunt. I never had any issues with it. You do have to be careful and not let them freeze. On cold nights I would put it in a ziploc bag and put it in my quilt with me. It was great not wasting time with a pump, etc. Stop, dip and fill my platy bag, and drink as I go. I also would hang it off my tripod and use it to gravity feed my jet boil/water bottle. The pics below show what I did with mine;

DSCN0211.jpgDSCN0212.jpg

Edit, I meant to quote both Chester and Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    I used to do a lot of long distance hiking, for me the Katadyn is the best and rugged. Lots of thru-hikers use them.
    Also use a katadyn. I have a pic running around where me and a buddy made water out of a mud puddle on the trail. We were on a 3 day hunt and there was no water on top of the mountain. Thank God it rained and we were able to find one free standing puddle of mucky water. The katadyn cleaned it right up and it was tasty too.

What I like is that the handle pushes down into the unit so its not protruding to be broken off like some others I looked at, there are no stupid bags etc, and it will pump about 300 gallons depending on which filter you buy which is potentially years of use.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've also started carrying the Steripen when weight is more of an issue. I used the Steripen while sheep hunting this year, and will likely do so in the future.
    Steripen for me as well. Used it for all of my hunts the past couple of years, including a three week drop off hunt this fall in western AK for me and my hunting partner. Even took it to Africa a couple of years back. It has worked great and flawlessly...take extra batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Has anyone used one of the Lifestraw products? I haven't used them and am curious if they are worth the ten bucks or so they cost.
    I carry a lifestraw in my reserve chute (space blanket, Vaseline cotton balls, snickers bar, etc.). It has worked just fine for me in the few times I got stuck away from camp. I use a Katadyn filter in camp. I didn't bring a filter and tried out a steripen on Rainier and had trouble with it, only because I had colored Nalgene bottles and couldn't see the LED indicator light (and it was failing red quite a bit).

Plus one for the Steripen when weight is a factor - which is near always for my old bones.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

My vote goes with the Sweatwater. Reasonably lightweight, easy to use and high flow.

Steripen is great if you have a nice clear water source but if you want to pull water from an available murky lake, I want to filter that crap out, not merely sterilize it.

Lifestraws are OK in an emergency BUT compare the micron size that they will filter down to with quality larger filters. Lifestraws will stop larger particles but let smaller ones pass through. Giardia cysts can be smaller than what a Lifestraw will filter. I consider them as a gamble only to be used in an emergency. Take my word for it, giardia sucks!

I've used pumps for years but the base camp is the way to go, uses the same filter as my pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast