Thread: Kantishna & Toklat Rivers, Can you use an airboat on them ????

Default Kantishna & Toklat Rivers, Can you use an airboat on them ????

I am looking at Several places for spring to get out & stretch the legs of my Airboat.

Does anyone know if you can take an airboat up the Kantishna & Toklat Rivers LEGALLY ??

Any info or photos would be helpful.

Thanks Guys
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Kantishna, definitely legal, the Toklat legally to a certain point then one is in "The Park" if I remember the map correctly. That is a long haul, can you even carry enough fuel on an airboat to get that far? I ran up the Kantishna from Nenana a few years ago in my inboard jet boat, if memory serves, I carried 150 gallons total, 60 in my tank and 90 in portables burning 15gal an hour, don't recall my speed exactly but, I think 27 - 28mph.

Thanks 338,

I was thinking of putting in at Manley Hot Springs & going up from there.

Might have to change it up to a little wilder river. Looked on Google Earth & they look pretty flat & lazy for a river.

Maybe the Salcha or Goodpasture.
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

I've seen airboats on the Kantishna and the Bearpaw but have not personally seen one on the Toklat. All three are partially in the new additions to the Park. Non sure what the National Park Service regs are, but the rivers I believe belong to the state to high water mark. I've run the jet boat on the Kantishna, you can use a prop all the way to Lake Minchumina. At least one person on the Bearpaw uses an airboat to access a cabin. I agree with .338WM its a long trip, fuel is an issue. I've carried 200 gals. It's a long float back down to Manley.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Thanks 338,

I was thinking of putting in at Manley Hot Springs & going up from there.

Might have to change it up to a little wilder river. Looked on Google Earth & they look pretty flat & lazy for a river.

Maybe the Salcha or Goodpasture.
    Yep, the Kantishna is flat and it is easy to run, I never had a doubt about any route I chose, matter of fact the Tanana was more difficult in some places due to it broadening out and braiding so **** much, even knowing full well that barges travel that river all the time. Not an issue in an airboat of course.

The Kantishna is pretty tame, wide and flat. However, the Toklat is quite a bit different. A lot tighter and braided in several spots. I have never seen an Airboat up that far before, probably due to the fuel burn. Its a pretty long haul in an airboat, although you could probably cut a lot of miles off the trip.
    You have to go up the Toklat quite a ways before you really have to worry about the Park boundry and if you have a modern GPS the boundry is pretty clearly marked.