Thread: Mauser HSc-80 review

Default Mauser HSc-80 review

I picked up an Italian made Mauser HSc-80 a while back on a whim. Photo between a Rossi 44 Special snubbie and a KAHR 9mm CW9.

Basically it is an oddball made by Rento Gamba company that uses a Hsc type action with a double column magazine. But it disassembles pretty much just like any Mauser HSc.

The guns came in a couple versions back in the early 80s. Some are marked HSc-80, some as SAB-2001, and some as HSc-Super. They came in 32 acp, 380 and 9mm Super.

There are also some versions with a scalloped trigger guard for support hand finger support. Mine has the standard trigger guard and black plastic grips. There are also two serial numbers, one seems the be the real serial number of the weapon and the other appears to be a hand stamped inventory number from some sort of agency.

The pistol has a ALL STEEL frame and Slide. It weighs 2 pounds empty. The magazine is a 13 round all steel magazine that looks almost exactly like a Beretta M84 mag.

While the mag release is a thumb style popular in the US, it is semi recessed and you really have to work in order to release the mag.

The safety lever looks like a Walther PP decocker, style but it is NOT. It is simply a hammer block safety that rotates part of the firing pin out of the way. So the hammer just hits steel when dropped. So you need to manually drop the hammer via pulling the trigger.

There is no magazine disconnect safety on my pistol.

The Slide is actually pretty hard to pull rearward for a 380. Even after I polished the exterior of the barrel which acts as the recoil spring guide.

The double action trigger pull is horrible. Around 12-14 pounds...
    The single action trigger pull is crisp after a LOT of take-up and it is still 7 pounds. That I think I can fix.

The barrel is 3.55 inches. The overall length is 6.5 inches and height is 4.75 inches. The grip is 6 inches in circumference.

Range 15 yards, Temp 19 degrees F. Chronograph at 8 feet.

Buffalo Bore 90gr Sierra HP +P factory load= 1,258 fps and a 3/4 inch group

Rem Golden Saber 102gr HP factory load = 912 fps and a 1.5 inch group

PMC 90gr FMJ factory load = 920 fps and a 1.70 inch group

Win PDX1, 90gr HP factory load = 950 fps and a 2 inch group
    * this load advertizes at 1,000 fps...

Winhester Train and Defend 90gr hp factory load = 975 fps. and a 4 inch group

Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX. = 1.0 inch group NO CHRONO RESULTS DUE TO LOSS OF LIGHT

Federal 95gr FMJ = 857 fps and a HUGE group.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have owned a Erma Werke and a Intearms HMC and they look much different and had wonderfull triggers.very accurate little pistols.Both had wood grips
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Here is another version. Basically they took the operation of the Mauser HSc, then made it into a double stack magazine gun without the fin from the end of the trigger guard.
    Here is one with wood grips.

Now I need to find an extra 13 round magazine.... They are like hens teeth.

Yours looks accurate enough for sure,just need trigger work
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Those dang Buffalo Bore +p loads sure are zippy... Probably too zippy...