Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which do YOU Prefer?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Which do YOU Prefer?

Something came up, from my friend Andy, during my continuing campaign against the AR/M16, that might deserve some more attention.

Andy, said something to the effect that the AR, 223 was today's Mdl 94, 30-30'

So which to YOU prefer? And Why?

For me, I Identify with LAs and the 30-30, more than with GI Joe and the 223,/what is that Military name for it? And, I know that has a lot to do with ones preference, but aside from that,,,,,

What are some of the valid reasons for preferring one over another? As, to usefulness, Purpose, appropriateness, effectiveness, etc. ??

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Having used a 94 growing up I do like them but as of late I favor my Sig AR10 platform (762x39). I simply shoot the AR style rifle well and it is quite frankly more accurate off the bench with most factory loadings. The power benefit is also there. Personally I find no use for the AR in .223 caliber.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I choose the AR-platform. Why.....???? Because 5.56X45 ammo is cheap for practice. Because there is nothing in North America that I can't harvest with 6.8 SPC-II also you need no tools in the field to disassemble the AR-platform. If you fell and got a thick plug of mud in your M-94 you have few options for clearing it. If you have a serious "JAM" in the AR-platform it is easy to clear, the same "JAM" in a M-94 might not fix-able in the field.

The AR-platform is about as "UGLY" as a firearm can get.......its main redeeming feature is that they WORK, and work, and work...and if they stop working field repair is easy. The Model 94 is a stunningly beautiful firearm to look at, and carry in the field, almost as much joy as the M-92.

I will take a fine NOVESKE AR in 6.8 SPC-II for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Having used a 94 growing up I do like them but as of late I favor my Sig AR10 platform (762x39). I simply shoot the AR style rifle well and it is quite frankly more accurate off the bench with most factory loadings. The power benefit is also there. Personally I find no use for the AR in .223 caliber.
    Sorry...brain was "off" meant to say 762x51.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I don't like those pipe looking rifles at all. My sons and grandsons do. I've shot a few of them, but I can make no connection with them. To each his own, and I will stand with the black gun guys against the antis, but I find no use or attraction for these rifles, in fact I find them repulsive.

That is exactly how I felt about them for more than four plus decades.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I don't like those pipe looking rifles at all. My sons and grandsons do. I've shot a few of them, but I can make no connection with them. To each his own, and I will stand with the black gun guys against the antis, but I find no use or attraction for these rifles, in fact I find them repulsive.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Sorry...brain was "off" meant to say 762x51.
    Yeah, you did say AR10, so I took that to mean the 7.62x51. BUT, I wanted to compare the 94-30-30 to the AR-223

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I choose the AR-platform. Why.....???? Because 5.56X45 ammo is cheap for practice. Because there is nothing in North America that I can't harvest with 6.8 SPC-II also you need no tools in the field to disassemble the AR-platform. If you fell and got a thick plug of mud in your M-94 you have few options for clearing it. If you have a serious "JAM" in the AR-platform it is easy to clear, the same "JAM" in a M-94 might not fix-able in the field.

The AR-platform is about as "UGLY" as a firearm can get.......its main redeeming feature is that they WORK, and work, and work...and if they stop working field repair is easy. The Model 94 is a stunningly beautiful firearm to look at, and carry in the field, almost as much joy as the M-92.

I will take a fine NOVESKE AR in 6.8 SPC-II for everything.
    Isn't the 6.5 Grendel a better cartridge than the 6.8 ?

For Anything??? It might be a stretch for either one considering their bullets are short for caliber.

Of course, there was that guy who shot a bear using the 223. I dunno how many rounds he used but I think I'd let them all go.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

It has it's fan'club. My first AR was a 6.8 SPC and I still like it for over-all for my needs. I tend to think of the 6.5 Grendel as a cartridge that shines at over 200 yards. I could count on my fingers the amount of times I have fired any rifle at an animal over 150 yards. and on one hand the shots at 200 plus yards. I am not a great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Isn't the 6.5 Grendel a better cartridge?

Smitty of the North

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I can identify with that.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Would not like most in the outfit in Viet Nam carry the AR and see no reason to do so now.Fact is I will take an H&R over any AR
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm with sayak on the ARs, but I don't care for the M94 too much either. My preference would be the M94 as they are a light, clean line carbine with a round that is ok for most game up to 150 yds or so and I probably would use it on occasion. I have and prefer the M92 in 454 Casull over either of the others.
    I have enough guns that I can choose a job specific rifle or pistol for the task at hand rather than use a universal gun where a different specific gun/cartridge would work better.

I can remember the first time I laid eyes on a black gun. I thought it was from outer space! Now every stinking gun rag that I look at has one plastered on the front page. I have had a couple Rock River Predator Pursuit rifles but never kept them!. Lever gun for me....or an H&R Handi Rifle.

I'm pretty much a gun loving guy... I can see the beauty in a old lever action rifle, I have 2 Marlin 95's in my safe.. I also can understand the modularity of an ar15 .. You can customize one very easy , and the modern designs have been ironed out and honed and thus are very reliable. Ammo for one is cheap and the mild recoil makes one pleasant to shoot and great to practice the fundamental's of riflemanship. Like any tool its up to the user to know the limitations, strengths and weaknesses of said tool. For instance, you don't see the USMC packing lever guns and you don't see big game guides packing ar15's ... you can't compare a screw driver to a chisel .... 2 different tools for 2 differant task.
    And I don't need someone telling me what tool is appropriate.. I take great pride in the fact that I can do the research and choose the appropriate tool for the job I intend to do, I believe the ability to do so furthers my persuit of becoming a better marksman and sportsman. Much like a carpenter takes great pride in mastering the tools of his trade, I too strive to master the tools of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    I'm pretty much a gun loving guy... I can see the beauty in a old lever action rifle, I have 2 Marlin 95's in my safe.. I also can understand the modularity of an ar15 .. You can customize one very easy , and the modern designs have been ironed out and honed and thus are very reliable. Ammo for one is cheap and the mild recoil makes one pleasant to shoot and great to practice the fundamental's of riflemanship. Like any tool its up to the user to know the limitations, strengths and weaknesses of said tool. For instance, you don't see the USMC packing lever guns and you don't see big game guides packing ar15's ... you can't compare a screw driver to a chisel .... 2 different tools for 2 differant task.
    And I don't need someone telling me what tool is appropriate.. I take great pride in the fact that I can do the research and choose the appropriate tool for the job I intend to do, I believe the ability to do so furthers my persuit of becoming a better marksman and sportsman. Much like a carpenter takes great pride in mastering the tools of his trade, I too strive to master the tools of mine.
    Yup, air nailer vs hammer and there is room for both. I have lots of friends who love their ARs and just because they do nothing for me doesn't give me cause to rain on their parade. I really like my mini 14. It fits me and I shoot it well. My son hates it and swears by his RR. I love the lever guns but that all changes when they are scoped. It's just wrong to scope a lever action but when you turn the corner on the age thing and your eyeballs can't see the sights like they once could then what do you do? I have a trip to the eye doc scheduled but if he can't help me then my 1895 will get a scope.

Do you have any scopes on lever guns Smitty? The only edge that I give the AR over a lever gun is that they look better wearing a scope.

I think it's safe to say that Smitty knows my feelings on the subject

I have no problem of course with those who don't like them, as long as their opinions are based on facts.

For me, it completely depends on mood. I like guns too, all of them. I have everything from front stuffers to the latest whiz bang tacticool ARs. When I step out to shoot for whatever reason, I'll grab whatever suits my fancy at that particular moment. Let's assume I'm wanting shoot a short range thumper at my 3" plates set at 50 yards. One day I'll grab my 1892 in 45 Colt, the next Ill grab my 458 AR. In that same vein, my bag might have the .45 Kentucky caplock in it. When I feel like doing some long range slow fire, it could be my 30-06 bolt gun, or my 308 AR-10. Along these same lines, with handguns, it might be my 45 Colt blackpowder loads in my Vaquero, the 10mm Glock, or even my AR pistol. I like them all, and respect the usefulness and capabilities with each

Just depends on the itch that needs scratched that day.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    After I posted this thread, I've been thinking along the same lines. ("you can't compare a screw driver to a chisel ...") is a good way to describe it.

I look at all the differences, and they are tremendous. The AR is Modular, but the 94 isn't. The AR shoots a Varmint cartridge in an Auto Action, when such a cartridge was designed for a BA. The 94 shoots a hunting cartridge designed for FN bullets. We could go on and on.

Andy's comparison was probably a popularity comparison. I wasn't around, or aware when the 94 was as popular as the ARs now. (Assuming they were) but I spose we could compare sales figures. The ARs are manufactured by many different companies if that means anything.

I spose that folks needs have changed since the 94 's Hey Day, or at least the perception of what is needed. Maybe, back then, folks weren't as concerned with the need to defend themselves, and rifles were designed more for hunting purposes.

Also, the competition for the 94 was probably other LAs. The Competition for ARs is other autos like the Mini 14, but mostly other ARs. All the big manufacturers have jumped into the game, and are making AR types, but that wasn't the case with the 94.

Nowadays, the ARs are probably shot more than the 94s are. (That could translate into "used more".

It's been a long time since I've seen someone hunting with, or carrying a 94 30-30 in the field.

When you think about the comparison between the two combinations, based on facts, it's clear that they are VERY DIFFERENT. If I have a point here, that's it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Do you have any scopes on lever guns Smitty? The only edge that I give the AR over a lever gun is that they look better wearing a scope.
    Alas, I have only ONE LA now, a Marlin 336 with a straight grip.

I hadda scope on it for awhile, to shoot some comp, with it, and to determine if my load was accurate, but now, it wears a receiver sight.

IME, howbeit limited to several rifles, you can't count on a LA being very accurate. This one does OK for me and my eyes, up to bout 50 yards or so. So, if I shot at one of your running coyotes at 200 yards, I'd hafta be lucky to hit it.

Oh, one final note: "ARs don't look good, period. They even make a scope look bad." Hyuk, Hyuk.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Though the 94 seems to typify the lever action, it doesn't cover the entire spectrum of all lever action rifles, especially in the 30.30 chambering. I would be more likely to carry another chambering in a Marlin, a Rossi, a Mossberg, a BLR, or in my beloved 99s. Lever is good, magazine-fed levers are even better. I will probably never own another 94, but I am more likely to own a 94 than an AR type rifle. If I wanted a semi-auto, there are other, more traditional rifles to choose from such as the BAR, Remington 7000 series, or even a a M100. These can shoot about as fast, and though they are not as customizable, they have a thing called CLASS.
    I always get a kick out of how people say they "build" an AR. The assembling of an AR from parts compared to actually carefully fitting and smithing a traditional firearm, including wood, barrels, sights, triggers, etc. is the same as comparing assembling Legos to building a model from a scratch or even a kit. In fact, I think the AR platform most appeals to the Lego generation(s). Even the rails look like Legos.

Gentlemen, Ladies, and Riff-Raff like myself:

Now seems like an opportune time to direct your attention to the ARES SCR.

You will find a short blurb in the Dope Bag section of the latest, January, American Rifleman describing it.

"The ARES SCR combines many of the features of the AR platform with more traditional firearm design."

There is more, that I'm sure you would find interesting, design wise, but suffice to say, compared to the AR, this weapon looks MORE like a real rifle and LESS like someone's plumbing system.

Below, please find a LINK for same.

http://www.aresdefense.com/?page_id=729

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast