Thread: 2015 Planning

Default 2015 Planning

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 2014 moose season I focused my time in the Yukon Training Area unit 20B. Never saw any moose but saw lots of tracks and sign. Army only allows a few days in that area due to training. This coming season im gonna hit it hard. I bough a side x side and willing to travel a ways to get into some better hunting areas. I was looking at the following areas:
    20E (Drainages of the middle fork of the fortymile river upstream from and including the joseph creek drainage).
    25C (White mountains area)
    Anyone that can provide any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Red face

Cross No Name Creek just above Hidden Rapids, ( low water only) and look for Lost Lake which is above Secret Bog. The Big boys hang out up there for sure! Don't tell any one!

Quote Originally Posted by ORhunting View Post
    Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 2014 moose season I focused my time in the Yukon Training Area unit 20B. Never saw any moose but saw lots of tracks and sign. Army only allows a few days in that area due to training. This coming season im gonna hit it hard. I bough a side x side and willing to travel a ways to get into some better hunting areas. I was looking at the following areas:
    20E (Drainages of the middle fork of the fortymile river upstream from and including the joseph creek drainage).
    25C (White mountains area)
    Anyone that can provide any information I would greatly appreciate it.
    ORhunting, a friend of mine and I floated the middle fork once. We put in at Joseph Creek and took out at the Taylor Highway. Beautiful float. Not a lot of moose there though. If you are hunting for moose I suggest staying at Joseph Creek as long as you can. Most of the moose and moose sign are/is going to be upriver from there. If you are floating for caribou you will probably see caribou anywhere along the river. We saw hundreds of bulls and lots of shooters. The only problem was the caribou season reached its quota and got cut short early. If you shoot a moose up river from the Kink, be prepared to pack your moose and gear a quarter mile through the portage. The Kink is rated class V rapids and I do not suggest you floating through it. Class V in that remote country should be rated class VI (unrunnable) in my opinion. There are a couple nice abandoned cabins along the way that you can stay at too. I have the GPS coordinates for them if you want them. The first one is a good place to stop and hunt. We saw lots of caribou there and a small pack of wolves. The middle fork would not be my first choice pick of the forty mile river drainages if you are planning to moose hunt (unless you plan on flying into the upper headwater section upriver from Joseph Creek, but I believe that section is off limits unless you want to pay extra to go there. And the only person I know that sends groups into that area is Larry Bartlett. It is difficult to access and he has a specific method and arrangements with an air taxi service in order to access it). The moose density downstream from Joseph Creek is very low. There are some drainages of the forty mile river that are good for moose but that isn't one of them.