Thread: Question for the Ketchikan locals regarding Neets Bay

Default Question for the Ketchikan locals regarding Neets Bay

So far our summer trips to Ketchikan are usually pretty calm, but there are days when the wind kicks up pretty good. Seems like I can find good sheltered areas to fish for all wind directions except SE. When the wind is blowing from the southeast, it just seems to kick up and around everything and make all the surrounding areas unfishable.

Is it worth making the run to Neets bay on SE wind days to A) get out of the wind, and B) get some productive fishing in? We're typically there in late July & early August, so I would assume that the various hatchery salmon runs would be in full swing ... or would they?

Yeah, I'm painfully aware that the boat ride back in would be through the wind, but I figure by sticking closer to the eastern shorelines we could avoid the worst chop & slop (would also stay FAR away from the "two towers" in Behm canal!).

Out of all the places in Alaska Ketchikan had to be the place I had to run the longest to get to good fishing. I lived by Clover Pass and fished up north most of the time. I have to ask why Ketchikan if you are coming to Alaska to fish?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I have to ask why Ketchikan if you are coming to Alaska to fish?
    Good question. For one, it's the right mix of creature comforts, technology (i.e. cellphone coverage/internet access), and 'civilization' (i.e. restaurants) for my mom and her friends. We tried the "remote fishing lodge situated right smack dab on top of the fishing" route our first year in Alaska and she didn't care for it. My mother wants to get off the 737, go get her rental car, drive herself to the place we're staying and so forth.

Short answer is that it's a vacation and 'experience'. The fishing is an afterthought for everyone else but me (but I do work my butt off learning when and where to find fish up there!!). If it was just me and my girlfriend, we'd most likely go to Craig or the place with the orange boat ... Coffman Cove I believe.

The plane lands in Sitka too, with way better fishing! Nicer places to stay eat and see. PM me with your number if you want more info. I have a good friend there with a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    The plane lands in Sitka too, with way better fishing! Nicer places to stay eat and see. PM me with your number if you want more info. I have a good friend there with a boat.
    Sitka gets my vote too. Way better fishing, and often short runs to the fish as well.

Big_E

*sigh* I agree that there are more worthwhile fishing places to stay. But, we're committed to Ketchikan this summer, as we've already reserved the rental house (and paid the deposit), reserved the rental boat, bought airline tickets, etc. I just would like to know if Neets Bay is worth the run from Clover Pass?

Plane lands in Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, etc.

Ketchikan would be my last choice in SE, for anything....Unless it was a quest for the nastiest town in SE....Then it would be my only stop.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Sitka for sure...I just know...that's all.

I have never fished Ketchikan, but by the looks if it, the run up to Neets could potentially get hellacious in a southeast wind, although strong blows aren't usually too common in the summer time. Not sure what size of boat you're renting, but be safe. I hope it's not a 16' Lund!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    So far our summer trips to Ketchikan are usually pretty calm, but there are days when the wind kicks up pretty good. Seems like I can find good sheltered areas to fish for all wind directions except SE. When the wind is blowing from the southeast, it just seems to kick up and around everything and make all the surrounding areas unfishable.

Is it worth making the run to Neets bay on SE wind days to A) get out of the wind, and B) get some productive fishing in? We're typically there in late July & early August, so I would assume that the various hatchery salmon runs would be in full swing ... or would they?

Yeah, I'm painfully aware that the boat ride back in would be through the wind, but I figure by sticking closer to the eastern shorelines we could avoid the worst chop & slop (would also stay FAR away from the "two towers" in Behm canal!).
    Just looking at the chart I would think that you would have protected water just off the dock, on up to Moser Bay. Any protection from Betton Island if you are on the NE side of it? Unless Neets Bay has its own run of salmon I would expect to only catch a few strays in there. Heading further north, Naha Bay looks like a better bet to me than running to Neets; it has a much more extensive river/creek system, and is closer too.

Big_E

There are hatchery runs in Neets Bay, so expect to troll around lots of Power Trollers. If it were me, I would try to fish more towards the ocean if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Sitka for sure...I just know...that's all.

I have never fished Ketchikan, but by the looks if it, the run up to Neets could potentially get hellacious in a southeast wind, although strong blows aren't usually too common in the summer time. Not sure what size of boat you're renting, but be safe. I hope it's not a 16' Lund!
    No, it's a 25' Svendsen twin engine. Still can get unpleasant in it ... have had enough strong wind days up there to be cautious.